Author Topic: Solid fuel fires banned in State forests  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Solid fuel fires banned in State forests
« on: September 11, 2017, 04:14:59 PM »
I can see the logic with the amount of fires left alight and abandoned.. but the people who will abandon a fire are the people who will ignore this ban... and everyone suffers.

Campfires and barbecues using wood, charcoal or other solid fuels will be banned in most State forests until further notice to reduce the risk of bushfires.

Forestry Corporation of NSW's Senior Manager of Stewardship, Kathy Lyons said campers and picnickers could continue to bring and use gas stoves during the ban, except during declared total fire bans.

“Fire season has commenced early this year due to the very dry conditions and warmer days across much of the state.  Forest fuels and soils are extremely dry and our firefighters on the north coast are already fully committed fighting many fires which have taken off due to windy conditions.

“Recently we have had three wildfires ignite from escaped campfires – one each on the south coast, hunter and mid north coast.

“All fires using solid fuels such as wood or charcoal are now banned in most State forests across the state until further notice. This ban applies to State forests of the South Coast, Sapphire Coast, the Watagan Mountains, Barrington Tops, Mid North Coast, Coffs Coast, Northern and Southern Tablelands, Central West, Mid-west and North-west NSW.

“Campers and picnickers wishing to light a fire to cook in these forests can only use gas appliances until the ban is lifted which won’t be until after significant rainfall.

“This ban applies every day, not just on days when total fire bans are declared, so we are asking people who are planning to camp in the forests during spring and summer to plan ahead and bring gas appliances.

“Visitors should also be prepared for days when total fire bans are declared, as all fires including gas fires are prohibited on total fire ban days. Information on total fire bans is available on the Rural Fire Service website.”

http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/about/releases/solid-fuel-fires-banned-in-state-forests
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Solid fuel fires banned in State forests
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:21:41 PM »
This applies to NSW state forests. Haven't seen anything from NSW NPWS yet.
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline warrenm

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:57:38 AM »
I contacted NPWS in Mudgee last week about the use of fires in the Coolah Tops area, the reply was" unless there is a total fire ban" it was still ok for fires in the supplied fire rings even though "the fire danger period" had been bought forward from the 1/1017 to 1/09/17. 

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:27:55 AM »
"the fire danger period" had been bought forward from the 1/1017 to 1/09/17.

Wow, that is bringing it forwards by a fair bit  ;D

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »
Wow, that is bringing it forwards by a fair bit  ;D
I always wonder why Captain Cook struggled when he discovered Australia!
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:17:52 PM »
I contacted NPWS in Mudgee last week about the use of fires in the Coolah Tops area, the reply was" unless there is a total fire ban" it was still ok for fires in the supplied fire rings even though "the fire danger period" had been bought forward from the 1/1017 to 1/09/17.

What is a fire danger period ? It's just a term they use for a period that is more prone to fires than say winter ! Doesn't stop you having a campfire.
Unless the state forests have a sign up, it will be hard to police .
I went to a campground last weekend instead of the state forest because the bush is very dry and a campfire at an open campground was more sensible than the forest.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »
I've been watching the local water bombing helicopters fly over to the Oxley Wild River National Park area in NSW for the last few days... definitely some big fires out there already... my guess is they were going to the 1111 ha fire that's on the go in the Carrai area or the 874ha one in the Comara area...