Author Topic: Kimberley tourists to be charged $150 to access sights  (Read 8772 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Kimberley tourists to be charged $150 to access sights
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-13/aboriginal-group-charges-cruise-passengers-visiting-kimberley/8790004

Kimberley tourists to be charged $150 to access sights by Wunambal Gaambera Aboriginal group

An Aboriginal group in Western Australia's far north has become the first to start charging cruise ship passengers to visit world-famous coastal spots like waterfalls and rock art caves, sparking concern among tourism groups. 

The fee is being phased in by the Wunambal Gaambera Aboriginal Corporation (WGAC), with cruise and charter boat operators facing a one-off $200 fee per berth during the current tourist season — allowing multiple visits by passengers to the tourist spots.

The charge is set to rise to $152 per visitor by 2019. This would be charged on top of existing fees charged by cruise operators to travel to the sites.

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Kimberley tourists to be charged $150 to access sights
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
Interesting way to generate income...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »
Hmmm $600 for a family of 4 to visit.... on top of tour operators fees, travel to get there, accommodation etc. That's not about employing rangers etc.
it's a money grab.

If each community goes down this path (which they will), it will remove access to these regions for many Australian tourists (unless they are super wealthy).

The idea of a single 'parks pass' type permit which won't cost the earth is needed. Otherwise Aussie tourists will go elsewhere.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 10:56:32 AM »
This issue has rared its head again, Hope it  benefits the local communities, been a couple of years since the last time .
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:45:07 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
Quote from: shrek4
Hmmm $600 for a family of 4 to visit....
... and these places don't understand why people are flocking overseas for holidays... you get so much more for your money overseas.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:28:44 AM »
... and these places don't understand why people are flocking overseas for holidays... you get so much more for your money overseas.
Reading between the lines, I think these places dont actually want you there so Im sure they wont lose any sleep over a drop in numbers

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:44:19 AM »
Reading between the lines, I think these places dont actually want you there so Im sure they wont lose any sleep over a drop in numbers
agree
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 03:16:58 PM »

I agree with the charge. Having worked remote for over 24 months, it's great to see Indigenous looking at ways to increase income.

Non indigenous tour operators take advantage of making money visiting spots that are on Indigenous land.

Unfortunatly some people these days want everything for free, or have the attitude that it's a free country we can go where ever we like. They show no respect for Indigenous land.

The locals out here want to start tours, set up amentitie to bring tourists but the big problem is the Land Council. They will want a big slice of the pie. To give you an indication the store we manage pays $51k a year to the land council and gets nothing back for the community.

I expect land council will want their cut of the income. So before we all say they its way too expensive I bet only half of the income will go back to the locals.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans, plusnq

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 04:32:57 PM »
I agree with the charge. Having worked remote for over 24 months, it's great to see Indigenous looking at ways to increase income.

Non indigenous tour operators take advantage of making money visiting spots that are on Indigenous land.

Unfortunatly some people these days want everything for free, or have the attitude that it's a free country we can go where ever we like. They show no respect for Indigenous land.

The locals out here want to start tours, set up amentitie to bring tourists but the big problem is the Land Council. They will want a big slice of the pie. To give you an indication the store we manage pays $51k a year to the land council and gets nothing back for the community.

I expect land council will want their cut of the income. So before we all say they its way too expensive I bet only half of the income will go back to the locals.

Mark

Very valid point Mark.  Unfortunately as soon as you mention Aboriginal or Indigenous all the other 'organisations', agencies' and 'bodies' put there hand out and as you say the locals end up with as good as nothing.  Have seen it many times with funding for Aboriginal Housing.  It is a big part of of giving money to most Aboriginal or Indigenous issues, those that need it just don't get it, or it goes to one 'family' and not the rest of the Community.

I can see the pros and cons and would like to think if managed properly it can be a good thing.  So much Aboriginal Culture has been lost and we need to protect and promote what little is left. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »
Quote from: alnjan
if managed properly it can be a good thing. 
and we all know that will never happen....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 05:43:21 PM »
Hi,
   I wonder if Land Rights cover transit on water?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »
                               ??? ???  could that be so      ???
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 07:51:38 AM »

Mark

Having done a cruise up there and speaking to the tour owner and crew they told us about this fee and the operators had a meeting with the aboriginal groups and what the tour owners wanted to know was what were they going to do with this money.  No valid answer was found. With our tour they were so protective of the aboriginal sites and really looking after the whole area.  Rightly they wanted to know how the aboriginal groups were going to spend the new fees to look after the area.  To us it sounded like just a money grab exercise.   It is spectacular country up there and a must do.  It is very expensive to do a cruise so we are not getting something for nothing and I think the tour owners have tried to involve the traditional owners, as last the tour group we were with, and it was not one of the big cruise companies.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:13 AM »
I am 58 in September , I have lived this long without seeing these sites , but for $150 plus per person,  I guess I can keep on living for a long time to come without having the need to see them .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »
If its their land they can charge what they want, and its not any tourist operators business what they do with the money.
If a station charges for day access to visit a particular site no one questions it, let alone asks them to justify what they're doing with the money.
Simple economic principles involved, if it aint worth it, people wont go.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 09:50:03 AM »
What's this going to do to next years Safari ???

Going to effect you at all ??? :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:32 AM »
Having done a cruise up there and speaking to the tour owner and crew they told us about this fee and the operators had a meeting with the aboriginal groups and what the tour owners wanted to know was what were they going to do with this money.  No valid answer was found. With our tour they were so protective of the aboriginal sites and really looking after the whole area.  Rightly they wanted to know how the aboriginal groups were going to spend the new fees to look after the area.  To us it sounded like just a money grab exercise.   It is spectacular country up there and a must do.  It is very expensive to do a cruise so we are not getting something for nothing and I think the tour owners have tried to involve the traditional owners, as last the tour group we were with, and it was not one of the big cruise companies.  Kevin

I cant see why they have to explain to the shipping companies what they are using the money for. Also it is explained in the attached limk in the top post. I have never asked tour companies, shops, petrol stations what they do with their money.

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 12:22:29 PM »
I am 58 in September , I have lived this long without seeing these sites , but for $150 plus per person,  I guess I can keep on living for a long time to come without having the need to see them .
:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »
The Wunambal Gaambera people — the traditional owners of the land — said the funds would be used to get local people out to remote sites more often, to help greet tourists, to pick up rubbish and to ensure cultural sites are protected.
"It's mainly to support our [Uunguu] rangers and help the traditional owners go out on country to protect areas … and to welcome tourists too, so they can see the rangers talk about the country and the area they're in."

If this is the case then great.  But forgive me if I am a little bit sceptical that that will happen. Have travelled this country a lot and paid my share of fees but have not seen too many positives. Like the $50 fee just to drive through a town, looks just like any other town, our taxes have paid for the entire infrastructure, but no we had to pay $50 for nothing. (And that very night a group had a nice little riot and guess who had to pay for the repairs to the town, yes the tax payer.) 
The fees are also just to sail the waters and I thought no one can own below the tide mark?  I may be wrong. The tour operators we spoke to were happy to pay to go into sites and when we did the cruise we would have loved a local aboriginal person to meet us and explained to us the art etc.  In fact it would have been brilliant.  But the operators and I am talking about the smaller operators who are passionate about the Kimberley, just wanted to believe that the money was not going to be wasted.  But as stated, they own the land and waters so go for it, charge what they want.  Sorry to sound like this but I just hate the waste and the sadness of it all.   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 07:01:49 PM »
The Wunambal Gaambera people — the traditional owners of the land — said the funds would be used to get local people to pick up rubbish

That will do me, getting the local people to pick up rubbish. I assume their own rubbish, sounds something like a Kevin Rudd education revolution plan in action.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »

Same age....and WA is one place I haven't been to. If I do get over there one day, these fees could determine where I do and don't go !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
Quote from: gronk
Same age....and WA is one place I haven't been to. If I do get over there one day, these fees could determine where I do and don't go !!

I think a lot of people will work on that ..
Family of 4... 10 sites to see $600 per site.. = **** that.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 08:02:25 PM »
What's this going to do to next years Safari ???

Going to effect you at all ??? :'(

If the fees come into affect it will be up to members on the trip to decide. For me personally, I would be happy to pay. Spending all that money on fuel, accomodation etc to get there and to save $300, for 2 people, and not experience the places is a personal choice.

The less people who don't want to pay means less of a crowd  ;D

Mark

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 08:58:12 PM »
Is $150/person really that much?

Have you seen how much the Sydney attractions cost?

Skywalk: $70/person
Or make it a 5 site pass from only $100/person!

So, does that $150/person seem so bad now, or how it fits into the grand scheme of things?