Author Topic: Plasma Cutter  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Chesapeake

• Swag User
Plasma Cutter
« on: August 05, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »
I am sure there are a lot of blokes on here in the metal fabrication business and others that do it for fun.After a bit of advice.I'm in the market for a plasma cutter that will cut up to 13mm,or 1/2" plate.Have pretty much narrowed it down to a Bossweld x40 PFC.Has anyone here owned a Bossweld brand plasma or have first hand experience on  one ? Open to any suggestions of other makes that are 240 volt, around the $1000 - $1500 mark that you think may be worth a look. The model I am looking at is a reasonably new model so not sure how many of them are around. Anybody own anything similar? Cheers,Luke.

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Plasma Cutter
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »
Interested in seeing the answers on this - I have looked at Plasma cutters a few times, but the cheaper ones -which I believe are touch start and therefore not as flexible?
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline Moya

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 10:37:32 PM »
Be careful of the cheaper Brand ones. I bought a single phase one for the maintenance bloke at work and it was drawing 35amps through a 15amp plug ( Sparky checked that as it  kept tripping rcd)
Upgraded to the 3 phase model and it works ok. Magnum is the brand. Around $1500

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 06:31:11 AM »
I use the 2014 model of this one.
I have cut heaps with it without any problems.
I found it needed really dry air so besides the air drier in my line I also installed one on the machine.
It's also aig welder but I'm not game to try that yet.
Bill

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271576075074

NEW Mishto Plasma Cutter  40A DC IGBT Inverter Welder  Portable Gas/Air Welding 
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Chesapeake

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »
G'day all, Just as an update regards the Plasma, ended up with a Unimig Razorcut 45 after the supplier could not deliver the Bossweld . Yet to crank it up and see how it performs ,allegedly will cut to 16mm cleanly. Job for later this arvo , or the morning. Cheers Luke.