Author Topic: We all clear on the roundabout rules in Oz?  (Read 29570 times)

Offline monbeg

• Tent User
Re: We all clear on the roundabout rules in Oz?
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
Most European roundabouts seem difficult but as long as you pay attention and read the signs when approaching they are easy.

Some of the antics you see here on basic two lane roundabouts (especially in SA) are amazing.

This one is between Dublin airport and the city in Ireland, would love to see some of of the people that "negotiate" my local roundabout having a go  :D

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 05:50:00 PM by monbeg »

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2017, 07:01:04 PM »
I reckon our small roundabouts are harder than that one shown. The only roundabout part of it is in the centre, and it's way bigger than our little piddly ones.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline monbeg

• Tent User
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2017, 09:31:13 PM »
I reckon our small roundabouts are harder than that one shown. The only roundabout part of it is in the centre, and it's way bigger than our little piddly ones.

True. The point I was making though was that you have to read the signs and plan ahead.
The latest Ozzie concept of "I want to be in that lane" at the last minute and by just putting my indicator on everyone will let me in won't work on there.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2017, 11:12:58 AM »
Until there are national rules, we are all ****ed
you have to not only know the rules in your own state, but once you cross a border or 4 on holidays you need to know the interpretation of every single states rules on each and every subject.
Good luck with that.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »
Until there are national rules, we are all ****ed
you have to not only know the rules in your own state, but once you cross a border or 4 on holidays you need to know the interpretation of every single states rules on each and every subject.
Good luck with that.

I remember back in about 2000 or so. We'd flown in for the Calder Nationals and got a hire car.
Sitting in the middle of the road, waiting to do a right hand turn in Melbourne....friggin horns blaring... comments about whether my parent were married when I was born...... being told to do something that no human body could do....

Who the hell, made up the rule you pull over to the left to make a right hand turn.
Friggin spastic rule that one.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
Jeepers, its from the days when horse carts were used to deliver stuff, like Beer, and all those other things that make life possible.
Trams in the centre of the road continued the use of this method of turning in the centre of the Melb. CBD.
They were Cable Trams, before they were Electric driven.  Sydney had Trams too, not sure if they had any similar movement/turning rules.
Bird may be able to help with info..
Not sure if he'd want to or if he's still rolling on the floor laughing.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline deepop

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Living the dream.
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »
Ha, I have driven onto a roundabout many times when I was the 1st to get on it, only to have a driver on the right come onto it at speed and nearly hit me.
If they had hit me, it would look like I hadn't give way, BUT, I was 1st onto the roundabout.....so it's not always as it seems.
Yeah, agreed Gronk, that's the biggest problem.   It they left it as it was you always had to give way to the right - less problems.
Manual petrol 105 series 'cruiser.
Aust. trailers semi off road trailer with Southern Cross Canvas tent, water, gas, kitchen and other stuff.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2017, 06:11:52 PM »
Yeah, agreed Gronk, that's the biggest problem.   It they left it as it was you always had to give way to the right - less problems.

On a roundabout, you still do , as "usually" that's the side you need to give way...if they are on before you ! Or if they are coming with such speed, it's wise to give way as well.

Generally, I don't follow any rules on a roundabout.......jump on and off and avoid getting too near anyone else !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline monbeg

• Tent User
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2017, 11:02:14 PM »
I remember back in about 2000 or so. We'd flown in for the Calder Nationals and got a hire car.
Sitting in the middle of the road, waiting to do a right hand turn in Melbourne....friggin horns blaring... comments about whether my parent were married when I was born...... being told to do something that no human body could do....

Who the hell, made up the rule you pull over to the left to make a right hand turn.
Friggin spastic rule that one.

Ha ha, yes that's always good for a giggle in Melbourne especially when you are using a gps for guidance and it thinks you have made a mistake and have turned the wrong way   >:(

If anyone ever has a spare half hour in Adelaide then go to the Britannia Hotel, grab a Coopers and watch some of the antics at this pair of roundabouts when it gets busy, especially when you get a few cyclists in the mix  :laugh:

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2017, 09:49:05 AM »
Please excuse my very quick, and very rough sketch

For a three point round about.
For those in the know, or think they are in the know, can someone clarify whether both car A and B need to give way to car C.
Assuming car C has entered the  roundabout first 😉

2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »
Probably a bit better than my chicken scratch  :'(
2010 Swan Outback

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »
Another of the same.

2010 Swan Outback

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2017, 10:37:31 AM »
Please excuse my very quick, and very rough sketch

For a three point round about.
For those in the know, or think they are in the know, can someone clarify whether both car A and B need to give way to car C.
Assuming car C has entered the  roundabout first 😉

Car A doesn't need to, if he is proceeding straight ahead (which he must do from that lane), because car C will be proceeding on the inside lane to turn right, or merely turn left before reaching car A or B. And that was a previous point I was making about how bloody annoying it is when car A sits there giving way to all and sundry, when he is going straight ahead. Of course all of that goes out the window when people don't use their indicators to signal their intentions.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:41:24 AM by Troopy_03 »
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »
I disagree.

A and B both give way.

C can enter on the right and exit on the left if he wants - you can change lanes on a roundabout.

Pretty simple - give way to all traffic on a roundabout, and do not overtake on a roundabout.

Same as turning left on a roundabout or merging onto a multi lane highway - give way to ALL lanes.

I don't love the rule either, but opinions on rules are what cause crashes.

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2017, 11:02:56 AM »
I disagree.

A and B both give way.

C can enter on the right and exit on the left if he wants - you can change lanes on a roundabout.

Pretty simple - give way to all traffic on a roundabout, and do not overtake on a roundabout.

Same as turning left on a roundabout or merging onto a multi lane highway - give way to ALL lanes.

This was my understanding also, as there is a dotted line in front of both A and B, and also a give way sign on both A and B sides of the road. From a insurance/law perspective it would be interesting if you hadn't given way.
It is no wonder there are so many accidents.
I should also note that on the roundabout in post #60, there is a driveway just out of shot. Would make it interesting trying to get to that if you can't exit to the left.
2010 Swan Outback

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2017, 11:15:32 AM »
Same setup as the one at the airport, Right lane in, left lane out and up the driveway. Perfectly legal and anyone thinks they can sneak through on the left lane will cop a bullbar.

https://youtu.be/Q_K-Hnz4Cl4

"When approaching a roundabout you must give way to all vehicles already on the roundabout.

In some cases on a multi-lane roundabout, it may be necessary to change lanes before exiting. If you are changing lanes you must give way to vehicles in the lane you are moving to." From transport QLD website

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »
I disagree.

A and B both give way.

Whilst you can change lanes in a roundabout, the same rules apply as do for changing lanes elsewhere. You have to give way to anyone who is in the lane you want to merge into. I'm not convinced it's as cut and dried as you are suggesting.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2017, 11:30:41 AM »
Whilst you can change lanes in a roundabout, the same rules apply as do for changing lanes elsewhere. You have to give way to anyone who is in the lane you want to merge into. I'm not convinced it's as cut and dried as you are suggesting.

It is easy. Give way to people already on before you, cut off clowns who don't give way to you. After 14 years at the airport you get pretty good at it. It gets interesting when a French tourist drives straight at you on the wrong side of the road though...yes, true story.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2017, 11:33:40 AM »
In some cases on a multi-lane roundabout, it may be necessary to change lanes before exiting. If you are changing lanes you must give way to vehicles in the lane you are moving to." From transport QLD website

???
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Chappie

• Tent User
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2017, 11:53:34 AM »
I go through that roundabout or one very similar and a lot of the cars entering the roundabout in car c position end up changing lane as they go past cars a and b as they are going too fast.   
It does seems a little ridiculous to give way to a car travelling in a different lane?

Quote"If you are changing lanes you must give way to vehicles in the lane you are moving to"

So I am allowed to enter the roundabout as there are no cars in my lane to give way to, and then they have to give way if they want to change into my lane?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:56:32 AM by Chappie »

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2017, 12:02:05 PM »
I go through that roundabout or one very similar and a lot of the cars entering the roundabout in car c position end up changing lane as they go past cars a and b as they are going too fast.   
It does seems a little ridiculous to give way to a car travelling in a different lane?

Quote"If you are changing lanes you must give way to vehicles in the lane you are moving to"

So I am allowed to enter the roundabout as there are no cars in my lane to give way to, and then they have to give way if they want to change into my lane?

Correct
Correct
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »
Same setup as the one at the airport, Right lane in, left lane out and up the driveway. Perfectly legal and anyone thinks they can sneak through on the left lane will cop a bullbar.

https://youtu.be/Q_K-Hnz4Cl4

"When approaching a roundabout you must give way to all vehicles already on the roundabout.

That video is for single lane roundabouts. If you happen to use your traffic position adjustment device (bull bar) on a vehicle as you are changing into the left lane, you will cop a hefty fine, for not giving way... ;)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »
See, this is why they should have never introduced roundabouts into Queensland.  >:D

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »
Correct
Correct

Wrong all day long.

"A vehicle approaching a roundabout must give way to all vehicles already on the roundabout"

There is no, and never has been 'my lane' in any roundabout. The fact that you were confused by a simple video shows you should not be dispensing advice about this.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »
That video is for single lane roundabouts. If you happen to use your traffic position adjustment device (bull bar) on a vehicle as you are changing into the left lane, you will cop a hefty fine, for not giving way... ;)

Not if they have failed to give way to ALL traffic all ready on the roundabout. That is the simple part that you cannot grasp. I certainly do not advocate using a bull bar in real life, but the fact we are having this conversation highlights a massive shortcoming in people's ability to understand simple road rules. People ducking into a lane do not suddenly get an immunity idol after they have failed to give way.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:38:25 PM by GBC »