Author Topic: We all clear on the roundabout rules in Oz?  (Read 29579 times)

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: We all clear on the roundabout rules in Oz?
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 08:28:58 PM »
Stop your bleating.... try one of these:

They actually aren't too bad to use, as you can go both ways round the larger one.

Although in the UK, some of the roads have now got such a load on them they also run box junctions and traffic lights on them to improve the flow, especially where 2 major roads intersect at the same point.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 09:42:20 PM »
You don't have to ...in NSW anyway !!

You do if it is practical to do so, so it so happens to never be practical for me.

Offline Beepa

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 05:20:18 AM »
Ya have to wonder why they install some roundabouts and then put traffic signals at them as well.....good planning.
Humping a Camel Beachcomber Plus.

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »
And the bloody idiots who turn right from the left hand lane of a roundabout...in 30 years of driving it's the only accident I've ever had....Grrrrr......Yes some roundabouts you can, but we put huge green signs before each entry showing what you can do, and 3 meter long white arrows on the road for those too dumb to read signs.....and the clowns still get it wrong.....

Back, way back, when the 1st round-about was introduced in Bathurst.. The RTA produced booklets that TOLD people that a right hand turn WAS TO BE MADE FROM THE LEFT LANE......... You can imagine the problems [and accidents] that arose from this almighty stuff up!!!
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 06:29:04 PM »
Back, way back, when the 1st round-about was introduced in Bathurst.. The RTA produced booklets that TOLD people that a right hand turn WAS TO BE MADE FROM THE LEFT LANE......... You can imagine the problems [and accidents] that arose from this almighty stuff up!!!

And, most roundabouts are different. You really have to look at the arrows on the road........some you can only turn left from the left lane, others you can also go straight ahead and others you can also turn right !!
Don't have an accident on one because unless you have a dashcam that shows who was at fault, you're in no mans land for insurance purposes.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 10:02:13 PM »
I got bored and did about 5 minutes research about a few states (NSW, Vic and QLD). It was obviously more than the author of the article did.
Each state has put out a simple explanation of the road rules on their websites using slightly different terms. That's as far as the author went.
Reading each state's legislation on indicating when exiting it was exactly word for word (as per the Australian Road Rules)
Also they say you are required indicate if practicable. (Not practical) slightly different meanings.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 10:29:42 PM »
Then there's the large roundabout on the Barton Hwy in the ACT that has 4 sets of traffic lights on it. Straight on equals 2 sets, r-hand turn equals 3!
What I do hate is large roundabouts such as on the UK motorways and navigation systems where the instruction to 'take the third exit' may mean the fifth road as two were entries, all to be processed while doing 80 kph.
NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 10:32:01 PM »

Also they say you are required indicate if practicable.

Ones idea about practicable might be different to anothers !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Philbo

• Tent User
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »
I know we have to indicate to exit here in Queensland. For whatever reason many in my area do not do that.
Think about the phrase "Give way to any traffic already in the roundabout."
If that were taken literally, traffic would bank up to choking point real quick. No one I have ever seen follows
that rule. On busy roundabouts traffic from just one direction can be endless in peak hours. Roundabouts would be
unusable. It seems like a CYA rule put in to protect the judiciary. You hit a car that was in the roundabout, you are
in the wrong, no matter how big the roundabout is or how many lanes? Ridiculous . . . but maybe necessary.
I can't think of a way around it. Excuse the pun  >:D
Philbo
I taught him all I know . . . and still he knows nothing!

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 12:54:07 AM »
Should only be a problem if they are close enough to collide.
If two vehicles are in the roundabout, and opposite each other across the roundabout, why can't they both proceed with their travel?
It's the Give way rule all over again.

Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 06:40:36 AM »
I'd recon that most accidents at roundabouts are rear enders caused by the car in front slamming on the brakes for some moron that didn't bother to indicate that they were coming around the roundabout ?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2017, 07:33:38 AM »
I always still apply the old "give way to the right' rule. If they are on my right on the roundabout I give way, if they are on my left on the roundabout no as they have no impact on me.

My daughter who recently went through her 'L' licence process said the instructor said to her indicate as you exit the roundabout if safe to do so. Pretty close to a very simplified definition of 'practicable'

I think we sometimes overcomplicate these things and especially legislation when there is meant to be a degree of intent built into understanding
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2017, 07:56:11 AM »
Stop your bleating.... try one of these:

They actually aren't too bad to use, as you can go both ways round the larger one.

Although in the UK, some of the roads have now got such a load on them they also run box junctions and traffic lights on them to improve the flow, especially where 2 major roads intersect at the same point.
Thats the magic roundabout in Swindon.  It looks strange but it works well as much of the traffic does not need to go all the way round and just hits one or two of them.  I used to drive round it daily and local attitude to it is best summed up as "who dares wins".
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:17:41 AM by Ben.Archer »
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2017, 08:35:22 AM »
I always still apply the old "give way to the right' rule. If they are on my right on the roundabout I give way, if they are on my left on the roundabout no as they have no impact on me.

My daughter who recently went through her 'L' licence process said the instructor said to her indicate as you exit the roundabout if safe to do so. Pretty close to a very simplified definition of 'practicable'

I think we sometimes overcomplicate these things and especially legislation when there is meant to be a degree of intent built into understanding

I think you have pretty much nailed it. If the other vehicle/s on the roundabout will have no impact on you entering the roundabout, why would you need to "give way" to them. You only need to "give way" if you are trying to enter or cross over the same lane the other vehicle is in.

My pet hate, at a couple of local roundabouts on 'T' intersections, are cars in the left entry lane that just sit waiting for all traffic entering the roundabouts to clear before proceeding in the outside lane, when all traffic entering from the right can only turn right and are on the inside lane. They just don't get that there are two lanes...
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
I think you have pretty much nailed it. If the other vehicle/s on the roundabout will have no impact on you entering the roundabout, why would you need to "give way" to them. You only need to "give way" if you are trying to enter or cross over the same lane the other vehicle is in.

My pet hate, at a couple of local roundabouts on 'T' intersections, are cars in the left entry lane that just sit waiting for all traffic entering the roundabouts to clear before proceeding in the outside lane, when all traffic entering from the right can only turn right and are on the inside lane. They just don't get that there are two lanes...

Yep, and even though they say you give way to anyone on the roundabout, that doesn't mean someone not in your lane.
You can change lanes in a roundabout, but must signal, and only if SAFE to do so ( like any other road lane ), so jumping onto a empty lane on a roundabout is the same as any other road scenario.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 03:02:17 PM »
My hate is some ****tard turning out of a side street into a 3 lane each way road... but waiting until the whole road is clear when they can just turn into the left lane, or middle lane and just get teh **** out of my way or be 5klms away before the whole outside lane is clear... they look at you strange while your having an epileptic fit on the horn yelling at them to just ****in have a go.

People are only taught to pass a test these days - not taught to drive.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »

People are only taught to pass a test these days - not taught to drive.

Some of the worst are women drivers.  Some are just too timid. Fine line between being timid and aggressive, but a timid driver will get nowhere.
Trouble is....you're on the horn and they don't have a clue why your on it ??

Same as the ones who do 70K's on the freeway onramp and then even stop, waiting for a gap. They don't realise that if you get up to 110, you just slip in with no worries !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2017, 09:08:27 PM »
Some of the worst are women drivers.
come for a drive to Box Hill... millions of a combination of these dudes, but only 1 with a legitimate license.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 10:08:08 PM »
Yep, and even though they say you give way to anyone on the roundabout, that doesn't mean someone not in your lane.
You can change lanes in a roundabout, but must signal, and only if SAFE to do so ( like any other road lane ), so jumping onto a empty lane on a roundabout is the same as any other road scenario.

I always give way if they are near me and on the inside lane, regardless of which lane they are in. A few times I went to use the outside lane while a car was in the inside lane and they have drifted into the outside lane when they are exiting. I'm not too fussed on who is right or wrong, it's too late when the car is dented. Waiting a few extra seconds won't hurt.

Also, if you change lanes when on a roundabout (from inside to outside) and collide with someone entering the outside lane of a roundabout I think you will find the person entering is at fault - they didn't give way to the car already on the roundabout. Not the best idea changing lanes in a roundabout though...

Nothing worse than when people give way when another car is on the otherside of the roundabout!!!!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2017, 07:38:38 AM »
As I said before, doesn't really matter who is in the right when you have an accident on a roundabout, unless you can prove it with a dashcam, you will pay the excess on your insurance .
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2017, 04:54:20 PM »
A few years back, the son-in-law T boned a small sedan that pulled out in front of him, when he was going around a roundabout. The bull bar impression in the side of her vehicle made it pretty easy for him to prove who was in the wrong, without a dash cam.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2017, 09:37:23 PM »
A few years back, the son-in-law T boned a small sedan that pulled out in front of him, when he was going around a roundabout. The bull bar impression in the side of her vehicle made it pretty easy for him to prove who was in the wrong, without a dash cam.

Ha, I have driven onto a roundabout many times when I was the 1st to get on it, only to have a driver on the right come onto it at speed and nearly hit me.
If they had hit me, it would look like I hadn't give way, BUT, I was 1st onto the roundabout.....so it's not always as it seems.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2017, 10:55:48 AM »
Ha, I have driven onto a roundabout many times when I was the 1st to get on it, only to have a driver on the right come onto it at speed and nearly hit me.
If they had hit me, it would look like I hadn't give way, BUT, I was 1st onto the roundabout.....so it's not always as it seems.
But then you'd have the bullbar up ya bum, hers being right in the drivers door showed that she was just entering the roundabout and heading for the inside lane, while he was meters from her in the outside lane. Said he thought he'd killed her at first, when he saw her head flop out of the drivers window, but luckily she was unhurt. Her car didn't fare so well though, and the son-in-law got a new bullbar out of it.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2017, 04:14:41 PM »
Your supposed to be a telepath and read their minds.
They are trying to enforce their view of the give way to the right part of it.
Because they believe, that from outside the roundabout, they can enter with impunity.
Even if there is someone there already.
They reckon the small part about "or approaching the roundabout from another vehicles right", is their 'get out of gaol  free'.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2017, 04:47:45 PM »
I don't know a person who hasn't had this situation..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home