Author Topic: We all clear on the roundabout rules in Oz?  (Read 29581 times)

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: We all clear on the roundabout rules in Oz?
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2017, 04:01:22 PM »
Haha, but how often are ever riding your fatbike on the road?

I only ride my carbon roadie that weighs under 7kilos on the road. My DH bike only sees dirt tracks.

Lets not raise the can of worms of how fat my arse is.

granted... not recently... but when I was "training" for the Simpson Desert Bike Challenge, I used to commute on my old fatbike (which was steel and not ti and so considerably HEAVIER)

70k each way. on 26 x 3.8" tyres. The tyres sounded like a set of mud terrains on the M4.

roadies... *hack spit*  >:D

(less useful than Nissan drivers...)  ;D

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
Indeed.....
(I'm pretty confident I know what's going on, which is probably good, as I have designed a few roundabouts over the last couple of decades)
Pffft.... Bloody engineers have no idea how things work out here in the real word.... ;D

And as much as I really really wanted to avoid the cyclist discussion, I must admit I have double standards with that one.

The kids riding their bikes to school and the tradie riding to work on his busted old Kmart special are fine in my books.

But I pay $1080 per year just for the right to roll out of my driveway in ONE of my vehicles (double that if you count all of the licenses and vehicles/trailers that are registered under my name).
Be damned if some bunch of freeloaders in lycra that have not paid 1 cent should expect (demand) equal (or greater) rights as a road user.
You want to roll with your gang on the weekends and take over the road AND you want respect?? Well cough up the cash and pay your fair share...

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »
You tell 'em.....  :cup:
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »
This thread is a perfect round about... its been going in circles with nobody knowing what the **** is going on  for days....
In fairness, it seems opinions are pretty  unanimous that my drawing skills suck...
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2017, 05:49:36 PM »
You're no Mr. Squiggle, that's for sure...... and feel free to blame the push bike riders for your inadequate drawing ability.  :D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Beepa

• Tent User
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »
Wow, do you SERIOUSLY believe that car rego pays for roads and infrastructure? Rego does not even cover the administration and RTA departments required.

Muru has countered that completely as it is a common (and very ignorant) argument thrown up about bike rego not being paid.

How much of that poor condition of roads that you see, has been caused by a bike that weighs less than 10kilos?

Haha, the dumb is strong in this one. Wonder if he lives in the "Smart State"?

Awww that bike seat pushing too hard on those little smarties?....I'm sure the Tens of Millions of dollars spent on bike related items would help the roads greatly, but hey it's all about the majority supporting minorities.
Humping a Camel Beachcomber Plus.

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2017, 06:29:49 PM »
ya know... I usually try to avoid replying to these kinds of  comments. Mainly because of the way they usually flare up into a "bikes v's cars" holy war thing.  ???

I've ridden bikes my entire life. Driven cars and 4wd's since I was old enough to legally. (52yo now) So I can see both sides of the story here.

But the constant misconception from the anti cyclist crowd that only those with cars are contributing to road upkeep (from rego, licensing and fuel etc) is just plain wrong.

1. Road construction is paid for out of general taxation. We all fund the roads, even those who only ever walk. Besides, rego revenue falls far short of the amount spent on roads, and is swallowed up by administration fees and third party insurance.

But just like we all pay for schools (whether we have kids or not), we all pay for hospitals (whether we need them or not), we all pay one way or another for road and cycle paths maintenance. In most cases, cyclists are also car owners who leave their cars at home to commute to work on their bikes.

2. Local road repairs are paid for by councils – your rates are subsidising people who drive through your suburb (the bludgers!).

3. Cars are charged by weight and the damage they do. In NSW, a 1.51-tonne car costs $459 to register and a 950-kilogram vehicle, $243; on that sliding scale, what might the owner of a 10-kilogram bicycle pay?

The second theory that drive me batShit crazy is regards registration plates being used for law enforcement: “I could report the number of a cyclist breaking the road rules, and they'd get a fine.”

Really... this idea fails in so many areas it's hard to know where to start. Have you ever noted the number of a car that breaks the law, (runs a red light, doesn't indicate, drives while on the phone) and phoned it in to the police? They will sigh and tell you there's nothing they can do.

But I'm a fair man... I'm happy to have bicycle license, pay rego, insurance, green slip and everything else the bike haters demand... but see... then I'd be classed as an official road user and be legally required to use the road (not the cycle paths). And I'd also be required to stay in the centre of the most left hand lane.  >:D Bet that'd be fun during rush hour when I'm commuting to work...

Wayne, fully agree with you - but was too lazy and busy to write it up as eloquently as you :-)
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »
In fairness, it seems opinions are pretty  unanimous that my drawing skills suck...

Yeah it is a bit rough. If that car C is sitting in the Jackson road entry, either he's not supposed to turn right, or it is a p*ss poorly designed roundabout. Because he has to cross two lanes at right angles to get to the centre to turn right anyway. But you can see rubber marks on the google map pic, so people obviously do turn right from there.

But it is in Queensland too...  >:D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2017, 05:27:30 AM »
granted... not recently... but when I was "training" for the Simpson Desert Bike Challenge, I used to commute on my old fatbike (which was steel and not ti and so considerably HEAVIER)

70k each way. on 26 x 3.8" tyres. The tyres sounded like a set of mud terrains on the M4.

roadies... *hack spit*  >:D

(less useful than Nissan drivers...)  ;D
Fark!

Well, if you are commuting a fatbike 70kms, and have completed a Simpson Desert Bike Challenge, kudos to you.

Big efforts!
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2017, 04:51:45 PM »
Local road repairs are paid for by councils – your rates are subsidising people who drive through your suburb (the bludgers!).
At the moment us ratepayers are fixing roads that are being destroyed by trucks carting gravel for the pacific H/way upgrade through the Clarence valley.
They are carting material from every quarry on every back road from miles away.
Local Council doesn't even have the coin to paint lines in the Car park behind the shops in Maclean.

Sorry off topic  :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
We all clear on the roundabout rules in Oz?
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2018, 12:03:04 PM »
Some of these beauties will be familiar to a lot of folks on here...

http://abc.net.au/news/2018-04-20/sydney-driving-at-these-complicated-intersections-is-a-nightmare/9652668?pfmredir=sm

Now to the northern beaches, land of glistening surf, the Home and Away set and "Kamikaze Corner", as it is known by those who use it regularly.

The junction of Barrenjoey Road, Plateau Road and Old Barrenjoey Road is enough to make even the safest of drivers sweat.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »
Funny buggers these coppers up here in Atherton .

They have been booking people who fail to indicate left when going straight through a round about . Over the last week I have followed two police cars through the same round about and neither of them indicated .

The pity is , I do not have a dash cam .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2018, 02:45:56 PM »

They have been booking people who fail to indicate left when going straight through a round about
so what do you do for left? ****in hazard lights?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »
Qld road rule is to indicate when exiting a r-a-b so, even if going "Straight ahead", you are required to indicate as you should, as it is bloody annoying slowing or stopping, for a vehicle with no indication of what their intentions are. I particularly loathe the ones who have their right indicator on and bloody exit.
" She's right, mate. I know where I'm going" mentality
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »
Quote from: Steffo1
Qld road rule is to indicate when exiting a r-a-b so, even if going "Straight ahead", you are required to indicate as you should, as it is bloody annoying slowing or stopping, for a vehicle with no indication of what their intentions are. I particularly loathe the ones who have their right indicator on and bloody exit.
So u come to round about and stop.. and your going straight, bypassing the first exit on your left...  and as you pass the first exit signal - thats how I've always understood.. otherwise if you as soon as you come to a stop before entering round about, hit the left signal, the bloke waiting at the first entrance to your left is going to think your exiting at the first exit - not the second ???

agree ****s that dont signal at all or after they have made up their mind and have taken the exit piss me off
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline bergersau

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2018, 09:13:43 PM »
Roundabouts can be fun..
Here's my local.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2018, 10:33:16 PM »
That's interesting, indicate to go straight ahead, novel. I think we need more indicators, which would be unfair for BMW or Mercedes drivers as they have none to start with

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2018, 10:34:57 PM »
That's interesting, indicate to go straight ahead, novel. I think we need more indicators, which would be unfair for BMW or Mercedes drivers as they have none to start with

:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2018, 08:10:19 AM »

Queensland straight ahead rules . 40sec mark in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4lPmo9o-GY
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2018, 08:45:25 AM »
As far as i can see the only ones effected would be the cars waiting to enter the roundabout. If two cars are side by side on the roundabout the one in the left lane must go straight ahead so doesnt matter what the guy in the right lane is doing. If the guy in the right lane is turning right then he already has his indicator on so the cars waiting to enter have to wait, if he hasnt got his indicator on he is going straight ahead,  doh. UNLESS like i said earlier if its a Beema or Merc you have no idea anyway

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:29:31 PM by macca »

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2018, 07:47:05 PM »
Round abouts 🤔 air time more to the point  >:D
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2018, 08:14:44 PM »

They have been booking people who fail to indicate left when going straight through a round about . Over the last week I have followed two police cars through the same round about and neither of them indicated .

The pity is , I do not have a dash cam .

They are probably booking them for going straight through, instead of following the road around..  ;D

The rules are pretty simple, use your left indicator when exiting a round-a-bout. And like bird says, wait till after you pass the exit, just before the one you want to use.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2018, 10:10:23 PM »
Round abouts air time more to the point  >:D
Yeah right.
In a 3T cruiser, you're a funny buggar

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2018, 05:39:21 AM »
My number 2 daughter who has just gone through the L - P process in NSW has advised me that the indicating rule (NSW) is indicate left when exiting (on a single lane) if safe to do so. I think they must be trying to encompass those narrow little ones that are really no bigger than a median strip.

I made her look the rule up as she nearly pranged us up a couple of times trying to do it all at once as you are basically through them by the time you finish entering. 

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2018, 07:51:28 AM »
My number 2 daughter who has just gone through the L - P process in NSW has advised me that the indicating rule (NSW) is indicate left when exiting (on a single lane) if safe to do so. I think they must be trying to encompass those narrow little ones that are really no bigger than a median strip.

I made her look the rule up as she nearly pranged us up a couple of times trying to do it all at once as you are basically through them by the time you finish entering.

I think the wording is if practible to do so. On small roundabouts, I find it not practible so I don't do it.
Single lane roundabouts, going straight ahead, I don't believe you have to indicate, only on 2 lane ones. This is in NSW.

2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra