Author Topic: Looks like curtains for the airbag recall program  (Read 13341 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Looks like curtains for the airbag recall program
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »
If you are so concerned about the time frame and safety concerns, why not just source a different supplier and pay to have the airbags done yourself.

As bird said, paying jobs will always come first.

So your solution to a shortage of safe airbag inflators for the many (only 85000 cars dealt with over 2 years out of 2.1-2.3 million requiring them) is if I can pay I get them right away and you wait longer in the queue?

Just throwing up an option that might have seen quicker resourcing of replacements, although I suspect when push comes to shove owners are not that concerned about safety that they want to dip their hands in their own pocket. However I will predict this intense scrutiny of airbag safety due to Takata's failings will ultimately result in a use by date being implemented for air bag inflators so watch for it.

PS: It's already been established I'm a dangerous fruit loop for wanting to remove a safety item that can blow my DIL's head off in an urban crunch so do keep up :-* 
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2017, 04:27:16 PM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-24/takata-airbag-recall-process-choice-report/8736198

This tells us that 600,000 units approx  have been replaced (1/3 of the effected fleet)

The data also tells us that 1 in 350 units appears to be faulty (approx 6000 in total) and the cap may disintegrate upon triggering causing injury.

So far 18 deaths worldwide and over 100 injuries.  1 in Oz, along with at least one serious injury.

Given those odds if I had an effected vehicle, using a simple risk analysis I would rather take the risk with a potentially faulty airbag inflator than no airbag at all.

Takata, although bankrupt, are still in business, supplying replacement inflators.

http://www.businessinsider.com/takata-files-for-bankruptcy-says-will-be-bought-for-16-billion-2017-6?IR=T

Manufacturers are still obliged to replace inflators.

Yep, its taking too long, but its still being done.

Its Just one of the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets!

:cheers:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:34:22 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
So your solution to a shortage of safe airbag inflators for the many (only 85000 cars dealt with over 2 years out of 2.1-2.3 million requiring them) is if I can pay I get them right away and you wait longer in the queue?

Just throwing up an option that might have seen quicker resourcing of replacements, although I suspect when push comes to shove owners are not that concerned about safety that they want to dip their hands in their own pocket. However I will predict this intense scrutiny of airbag safety due to Takata's failings will ultimately result in a use by date being implemented for air bag inflators so watch for it.

PS: It's already been established I'm a dangerous fruit loop for wanting to remove a safety item that can blow my DIL's head off in an urban crunch so do keep up :-*

Car # 1. 2004 Model....Has air bags, not on the recall list as it has different air bags.
Car # 2. 1988 Model....No air bags fitted, but does have lap/sash seatbelts.
Car # 3. 1964 Model....No air bags fitted, but does have lap belts only.

So I really don't give a rats bum.  :-*
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »
anyone else think that looks like a blow up doll bending over?

Yep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2017, 11:57:23 PM »
Probably like most I hadn’t really paid much mind to the Takata recall that really came to prominence in May 2015 looking back-
http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/worlds-biggest-recall-now-53-million-cars-with-takata-airbags-might-spray-shrapnel/news-story/776563a8510b55d42b04fa2b38b025dc

and didn’t quite appreciate it was the ammonium nitrate being used by Takata that would make even their early replacements need replacing again at some stage-
http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/02/autos/takata-airbag-recall/index.html

and they could even kill without being triggered in a collision-
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/business/takata-airbag-death-recall.html

although I did note at the time that the number of cars being touted would inevitably see the bankruptcy of Takata and that’s proved to be the case. Given the scale of the problem the US fining of Takata was stupid and only helped hastened their demise, while authorities everywhere really had no answers even though it was obvious to most commentators Takata would go under and leave the problem on their plate to deal with. A stitch in time eh guys?

With that airbag death in Sydney (a 58 yr old ignoring 5 recall letters is self- inflicted) it was my BIL that sent me that airbag lab test video and the penny really dropped as to what this is all about. With such a huge backlog and no one in authority having the foresight to grapple with enormity of the problem early on, it’s every owner for themselves now that missed out on the recall.  I know how to deal with that live inflator but don’t mess around with them if you don’t know what you’re doing or you might be ‘counterproductive’ so to speak.

I deal with problems as I find them and not how they should be or some idealised version but how they actually are and no point whinging for my mum that they’re not of my making. So that’s how I planned to deal with it but it was interesting how that shocked the pants of some of you so I took that onboard and thanks for that.  Consequently I ran it past my son this arvo with the aid of that video and he quickly agreed the inflator should go in the interim so he’ll broach it quietly with his missus tonight and it’ll be interesting to see what a new mum’s view is.

Funnily enough the Challenger isn't on the recall list although MN and ML Tritons are and I would have thought it would be the same as the MN Triton.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
Ha! Seems we can all have a Bex and a good lie down. DIL new mum got fired up alright and onto Nissan first thing in the morning but it was a case of err no maam we did your car 2 years ago. Oops!
Must admit I couldn't understand why her X-Trail being an early lister in May 2015 was still waiting but it was one of the first cabs off the rank. After her Subaru wagon was written off by a rear end shunt in late Dec 2014 we'd scored her tidy low km X-Trail replacement on New Years Eve so when I heard about the airbag recall in May 2015 I advised her to get in touch with Nissan to let them know she was the current owner for the recall. She was on the ball alright and all done quickly but a wedding to organise and a new bub, etc meant she'd forgotten all about it until Nissan reminded her and sonny boy wasn't much help in that regard.(err.. I suppose he did have some input)

Kids! Where would our hair be without them?  :cheers: 

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2017, 09:10:52 PM »
Seems Honda are saying the Takata airbags are known to be safe for 6 years so presumably why the carmakers would concentrate on replacing earlier manufactured airbags-
http://www.caradvice.com.au/570441/honda-pleading-remaining-owners-get-your-takata-airbags-replaced/

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
More information filtering out of Honda about their response to the airbag problem-
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/honda-confirms-third-party-source-for-majority-of-takata-airbag-recall-fixes-57823

Since they suffered the earliest fatality by an owner and once they recognised the size and nature of the problem it made sense to replace older airbags immediately with like for like once they'd established Takata airbags were safe for 6 years in order to buy time for those Daicel replacements-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daicel

After all removal of the offending items to await lifetime safe replacements would clearly upset some and on that point they appear to be turning to the regulators for guidance, reading between the lines. So 6 year old airbags are alright but don't push your luck with 8 year old ones like that 2009 model Honda owner did in Sydney.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2017, 09:30:43 AM »
Had zero problems with getting my 2003 Patrol done. Rang the dealer on Thursday 2 weeks ago, booked it in and the job was done last Thursday (one week later). Not sure why people may have trouble getting it done.
GU Patrol with home away from home.

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2017, 11:37:34 AM »
Got letter week ago last Thursday. rang next day, and done on Tuesday. Both front bags done in my 2007 BT50.

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2017, 07:39:32 PM »
The D22 (2011) goes in tomorrow, had to wait 2weeks. They said it takes that long to order one in.

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »
Just had the front passenger one on my Patrol done this morning. Received the letter last week, booked in, and it took about 45 minutes although I decided to take out the glovebox at home. I couldn't believe I was actually at a Nissan dealer. They even gave me a document that shows the replacement was done as proof if I wanted to sell it. The lead running to the module certainly stands out as it is bright yellow where the old one was black.

The dealer was saying they had a lot left to do so it sounded like they were not closing the recall programme down.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2017, 07:47:18 PM »
l have had my 07NS Paj sorted , drivers & passenger side , including a fist full of paper work to say so .              :cup:             :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2017, 08:55:28 AM »
Had the passenger bag done in the Forester about 6 weeks ago, just before selling it.

Got a letter from Subaru yesterday confirming that the Takata bag was replaced with a new built, but same model, Takata bag.

Goes on:

Research out of the US says that these bags have a life-span of 6 - 25 years! ::), depending on "time, temperature cycling & environmental moisture" ???, so Subaru has decided to replace the old bags now, while waiting for a new model bag, with safe propellant, to become available. This is expected in 2020 (& they even say March, which is a pretty exact estimate 2.5 years out!)

So it appears that this saga will ontinue on for quite some time to come!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday