Author Topic: Hardfloor for a softfloor  (Read 4042 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Hardfloor for a softfloor
« on: April 22, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
Gronk's comment here got me thinking about trying some plastic pallets instead of a groundsheet (that I dont use) under the main part of the camper. The main issue at the moment is finding suitable pallets, in a sufficient quantity, for a reasonable price, that aren't 1000's of km's away.

The advantages that I see them offering are
  • It would be easier to camp on rocky/bumpy ground making a lot more free camping spots possible
  • Be better at dealing with muddy/really wet conditions
  • Make pack up time easier by not having too clean the base of the tent
  • Also for me but not for everyone is it would deal with the tent drop being a bit short due to fitting bigger wheels. Others might need to use some levelling ramps

The disadvantages as I see them are
  • Slightly longer setup and pack up time would be offset to an extent by not having to search for, or clear a site of rocks sticks etc and clean the base on packup
  • Adds additional weight.

So the type of pallet required is something that is lightweight (<5kgs each), nestable (stacks/nestles into each other for compact transporting), not overly high and does not have large gaps in the surface. Something like this one seems ideal.

[img width= height=]https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/EDwAAOSwcBhWZeDc/$_20.JPG[/img]

These ones on gumtree look be suitable but they are in Victoria and I am in SEQ so getting them here could be a bit of an issue.

Does anyone know of a source for these? maybe through their work or somewhere else? I have tried the local pallet recyclers and they are either out of stock, have ones with big gaps in the surface, very pricey, or a combination of the above. Gumtree has had a few here and there but not in the quantity I am after and I need them, all the same, to be able to stack. Depending on size I am chasing about 8-12 including on doing the shower/toilet tent.

The peg loops being a bit short would be easy to overcome with some additional rope loops, the point load from poles being on the outside of the pallets would possibly require a bit more effort to over come but would depend on the pallet type, are there any other issues that I am overlooking?

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Hardfloor for a softfloor
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
We find these in places like
Havery Norman JB etc and the likes in there junk piles out back. Also heck out Transport companies.
The are used in containers when importing to Australia. That why the odd sizes. There are blacks 1s around that weigh next to nothing and pack into each other. There not super strong though an flex more then most.
Keep looking there worth nothing in my opinion so just keep looking.
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »
We find these in places like
Havery Norman JB etc and the likes in there junk piles out back. Also heck out Transport companies.
The are used in containers when importing to Australia. That why the odd sizes. There are blacks 1s around that weigh next to nothing and pack into each other. There not super strong though an flex more then most.
Keep looking there worth nothing in my opinion so just keep looking.

Yeah, I have been looking out and will continue to do so, the main issue is is that probably only a few percent of pallets are really suitable so as of yet haven't proved to be easy to find, let alone in the number I am after.

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 02:38:55 PM »
FWIW - The camping mats with a tarp on top worked REALLY well last week. Obviously, it's not quite the same (not off ground, no real extra height). Just thought, as this thread kind of continues on my discussion, that I'd chime in with the result. Finding something like you're looking for would indeed be better in REAL wet conditions - but I simply try to avoid those now :-)

A few links.
https://www.brisbane-pallets.com/pages/popular-pallets
https://www.ibpallets.com/
https://www.plastic2go.com.au/product-category/plastic-pallets-used/
None seem to provide pricing online though.

There do seem to be a few on GumTree - like these https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/loganlea/miscellaneous-goods/pallets-plastic/1138037089.
Trackabout owner.
The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »
FWIW - The camping mats with a tarp on top worked REALLY well last week. Obviously, it's not quite the same (not off ground, no real extra height). Just thought, as this thread kind of continues on my discussion, that I'd chime in with the result. Finding something like you're looking for would indeed be better in REAL wet conditions - but I simply try to avoid those now :-)

Yeah I have used them under the tent pre-camper days, they served a purpose but not really what I am chasing here.

A few links.
https://www.brisbane-pallets.com/pages/popular-pallets
https://www.ibpallets.com/
https://www.plastic2go.com.au/product-category/plastic-pallets-used/
None seem to provide pricing online though.

I think I have contacted all those places, either out of stock, have ones that have large gaps and holes in the surface or want $45ea for their used ones, (I have seen new prices in the sub $20 for this style.)

There do seem to be a few on GumTree - like these https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/loganlea/miscellaneous-goods/pallets-plastic/1138037089.

I have been scouring gumtree including seeing those ones, those ones fall into the "not enough the same" and "large holes in the top" categories, I realise I am being picky but if not it kind of makes it more hassle than it worth.

Offline elkay

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 07:54:46 AM »
I work for a pallet company in Dandenong, Victoria and we have an advt on gumtree for secondhand plastic pallets, think they are $10 each although these are in Vic perhaps swagmail could help depending upon quantity required.  Also check out website www.smartrecycling.com.au for the plastic pallets and see what is available.
Cheers Elkay
The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 09:25:30 AM »
I work for a pallet company in Dandenong, Victoria and we have an advt on gumtree for secondhand plastic pallets, think they are $10 each although these are in Vic perhaps swagmail could help depending upon quantity required.  Also check out website www.smartrecycling.com.au for the plastic pallets and see what is available.
Cheers Elkay

Thanks, from the pictures on the website it looks like there might be some suitable ones, not sure how old the photos are though. I have found a few places I could get them from if I were in Vic and had thought about swagmail but they will likely be pretty bulky so would be a bit of an imposition. Due to the number of places in Vic I could get them from I thought that there surely has to be somewhere in SEQ as well but no luck as yet. These from the Gumtree listing I linked earlier would be the most suitable from what I can tell from photo's, looks like there are some in the pictures on the website as well.

[img width= height=]https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTQwWDk2MA==/z/in8AAOSwGIRXbIjV/$_20.JPG[/img]

Offline hmcmichael

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 03:11:57 PM »
Sorry can't help you with a source of pallets but you might also want to try putting a sheet of corflute or similar over the top of the pallets. Will help smooth out any bumps from the pallets not being level, give you a few more options with the pattern of the pallet bases and most importantly stop something sharp punching a hole in the floor if it hits a gap in the pallet material.

I have a DIY soft to hard floor conversion that uses a mesh like on a roof rack or window security grill - kind of like a hard floor that flips off the side rather than the end of the trailer.

For me it works great when the ground is lumpy, keeps you drier in the wet and shouldn't add too much to your pack up time. Only other thing to consider is longer pegs to hold the sides down in the wind.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 03:52:13 PM »
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:55:19 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
Sorry can't help you with a source of pallets but you might also want to try putting a sheet of corflute or similar over the top of the pallets. Will help smooth out any bumps from the pallets not being level, give you a few more options with the pattern of the pallet bases and most importantly stop something sharp punching a hole in the floor if it hits a gap in the pallet material.

I have a DIY soft to hard floor conversion that uses a mesh like on a roof rack or window security grill - kind of like a hard floor that flips off the side rather than the end of the trailer.

For me it works great when the ground is lumpy, keeps you drier in the wet and shouldn't add too much to your pack up time. Only other thing to consider is longer pegs to hold the sides down in the wind.

1st post, glad to have flushed you out of the woodwork, Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 08:08:35 PM »
Well, have just picked up some pallets, not perfect for what I am after (not nestable) but they were local and cheap, not a long term solution but will allow me to see if it is going to work/be worthwhile and then I can keep an eye out for what I really want if it works out.

I picked up 14 for $30 so have no doubt I will easily get my money back with interest when I have finished playing with them. They are quite lightweight at 6kgs each, but due to them being so there is a bit of a spring in your step when you stand in between the supports, the guy I got them from said he had cracked some standing on them but he was a pretty big unit. I may theoretically be able to cut them in half heightwise and the get them to pack up a lot smaller but their 1100x1100 size theoretically doesn't marry up well with the 2300x3600 (advertised) tent base, but I'll hopefully be able to see how theory and reality compare tomorrow. 

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
you might also want to try putting a sheet of corflute or similar over the top of the pallets. Will help smooth out any bumps from the pallets not being level, give you a few more options with the pattern of the pallet bases and most importantly stop something sharp punching a hole in the floor if it hits a gap in the pallet material.

I have been thinking although I am trying to avoid having to do something extra like this to avoid the extra time/effort I think a light thin marine carpet or similar on the inside would be a better option as core flute and wind don't mix well, if you used an internal covering it could also easily just go on top of the mattress at pack up time, it could then have the added bonus of keeping a mattress dry from wet canvas in the event of a wet pack up and stop any potential issues of the bunks potentially damaging the canvas when packing up.

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 08:03:02 AM »
We used a piece of marine carpet in our previous soft floor. It was great, much warmer in cool weather, weighed nothing (12 ft tent). Folder in 3 on top of the mattress at pack up.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline Bobsan

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 09:13:03 AM »
We used a piece of marine carpet in our previous soft floor. It was great, much warmer in cool weather, weighed nothing (12 ft tent). Folder in 3 on top of the mattress at pack up.
  We also used Marine carpet under our soft floor, we had pitched it 89 times in 5 years (diary) also marine carpet inside on the floor. We sold it last week, the new owners loved the idea of the carpet as the floor was in perfect condition. The must is always dry the carpet before putting away, our new preloved rear fold now has marine carpet inside on the floor
Mits Challenger.
Bushranger Rear fold  Camper

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 09:48:28 AM »
I got some of these waterflow mats for our ensuite. Would do what you want. Lightweight, easy to assemble, lock together.

Matt's Waterflow Mats
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 10:01:20 AM »
Those pallets will take up a heap of room to carry and be a pain in the but to setup and pack up. Then there's the issue of busting the tent floor with all the gaps in the pallet, so you have to carry something else to put on that to protect it too. Seems like it would be so much easier to just carry a couple of towels and wipe the floor clean/dry as you pack it up. Keep it simple.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »
Quote from: grafy82
Those pallets will take up a heap of room to carry and be a pain in the but to setup and pack up. Then there's the issue of busting the tent floor with all the gaps in the pallet, so you have to carry something else to put on that to protect it too. Seems like it would be so much easier to just carry a couple of towels and wipe the floor clean/dry as you pack it up. Keep it simple.
x 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000... it works well.. Sweep off with brush first, then towel it down, packup other Shit and its ready to close up.
We tried shade cloth under it and it became deadly slippery inside the tent with the floor and shade cloth battling.

I also think people are getting confused with inside and outside.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »
I got some of these waterflow mats for our ensuite. Would do what you want. Lightweight, easy to assemble, lock together.

Matt's Waterflow Mats

Yeah, I had thought of them, still a possibility, they are basically repurposing drainage cell designed to be used in plantaboxes, rooftop gardens etc.

Those pallets will take up a heap of room to carry
Yeah, although heading away this weekend and not taking the kayaks so plenty of space on the boat rack, long term they aren't really suited, however. I have probably a 15cm gap between the top of the travel cover and the bottom of the boat rack which is where I plan any long term solution to fit.

and be a pain in the but to setup and pack up.
Hopefully I'll get to give it ago this afternoon, if I can get away with 6 it will roughly be about 1-2 mins I would think, about the same as a ground sheet.

Then there's the issue of busting the tent floor with all the gaps in the pallet, so you have to carry something else to put on that to protect it too.
I am not convinced on this one yet, I don't think it will be much different to camping on sand and I can't think of what we wolud have in the tent that might pierce it.

Seems like it would be so much easier to just carry a couple of towels and wipe the floor clean/dry as you pack it up. Keep it simple.

That's what we currently do, trying to see if I can come up with solutions for, really wet conditions, my tent drop being a bit short and rocky ground whilst only taking about as long as a ground sheet. Not sure if its possible but there is one way to find out.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »
Well, after trying them in the back yard and now also in the field I think the idea has some merit. Arrived at a farm and would normally have to check and find an area clear of rocks etc but just pulled up where I wanted and threw the pallets out, think it would be a time-saving in this situation but would be a different story in a CP or similar. They were easy enough to cart on the boat rack but storage/carting would have to be one of the biggest issues.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:08:58 AM by tryagain »