Author Topic: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - Scratched the Y61 Patrol off the list  (Read 48345 times)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - liked the Prado
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2017, 11:41:13 AM »
Well I hav had a 2012 76 Cruza wagon as a hire car this week.  This model is affordable to me but it's not for me. The power is unreal, handling the sloppy, chewed up, corrogations and water around Mapoon was all tip top.

Driving on the blacktop... Loud, rattles and squeaks and basically much the same or similar seats, interior and dash as the old 75 series that came out in 1985.  I am a big fan of not fixing something that isn't broken but there have been some serious advancements made in the last 35 years and most have been ignored with the 76.

Yeah i had one in the mines loved the v8 but that was it
It really needs a 6th gear so you can just lop along at 110 rather than having it scream at 2500 rpm
The difference in track width between front and rear wheels is really noticeable on the sand or deep bulldust
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
Yeah i had one in the mines loved the v8 but that was it
It really needs a 6th gear so you can just lop along at 110 rather than having it scream at 2500 rpm
The difference in track width between front and rear wheels is really noticeable on the sand or deep bulldust
Absolutely, also in the slop.  Handled the bumps well but wanted to wander a bit here and there most likely due to track width.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »
Absolutely, also in the slop.  Handled the bumps well but wanted to wander a bit here and there most likely due to track width.

Come on.. for a miserable extra $20,000 you can get a real set of diffs
http://www.marks4wd.com/portal-axles.html LOLOLOL!!a
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline lowflyer

• Swag User
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »
The Mrs pestered me to have a look at a Isuzu MUX the other day. They had never really appealed to me but begrudgingly went and had a look. Came away quite impressed at the package built like a brick out house, 3L truck engine , not a power house but will last for ever and apparently very good for towing with plenty to torque down low. Is now on the list for our next replacement. Would probably go for the base spec model and build it up.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2017, 06:57:18 PM »
Come on.. for a miserable extra $20,000 you can get a real set of diffs
http://www.marks4wd.com/portal-axles.html LOLOLOL!!a

Holy crap$$$$ I guess there is a market for everything.

The Mrs pestered me to have a look at a Isuzu MUX the other day. They had never really appealed to me but begrudgingly went and had a look. Came away quite impressed at the package built like a brick out house, 3L truck engine , not a power house but will last for ever and apparently very good for towing with plenty to torque down low. Is now on the list for our next replacement. Would probably go for the base spec model and build it up.

I have looked at them online, no test drives as yet. Damn thing looks ugly to me but I will never say never  :D

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
Cough.... Cough, 100 series, cough.  ;D
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2017, 07:28:23 PM »

Tune-up needed??
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2017, 09:19:33 PM »
Thought about 1000 times already. Maybe  :D

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2017, 12:25:39 AM »
I can buy anything new but something in the genes stops me from scratching up a brand new expensive car on those narrow tracks lined with acacia bushes and the like. Diesels tow best but then that Euro5 and 6 horror show- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzRR8BTVsyw so I'm aware the lad's new 2 year old MN Triton with Provent and electronic EGR delete added is the last of the Mohicans so to speak. You can buy a similar sized 2.5L petrol engine Mazda CX9 brand new and that will tow 2000kg as the best in engine class but then there's that near new 2015 Mitsi Challenger top range PC LS auto in Ballarat with only 16000kms on the clock and plenty of factory warranty for $33k so what the hell eh?

I had the plugin EGR delete with me already for pickup and to head off to see a mate in Bega with it while the missus drove on to catch up with her sis in Melb and the Western Filters Provent kit was being delivered to fit for the new vehicle punt back in Adelaide. Well I have to say a round trip of over 2000kms and 16 hours straight in the saddle from Bega to Adelaide and I had no regrets. First impressions are the seats are hard but Mitsi got it right as I had no usual back complaint after the 16 hours in the saddle back home and I was pleasantly surprised. 8.77L/100kms average (spec says 8.4 so that was pretty good and does the EGR delete help here?) and that included a fair bit of 110km/hr solo across the Hay plain, etc. Already had a towbar fitted and as luck would have it I won a spare mag for $150 (only a steel spare) for the missus to pick up in Melb on her way home and $89 for some aftermarket weathershields and with the Provent fitted now I reckon I've got the only diesel I'll ever buy again to bash around for the next ten years trouble free- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=29515.msg892841#msg892841

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2017, 12:38:57 AM »
Oh and if those office jocks in Canberra reckon they're saving the planet with their machinations, tell em they're dreaming from me-
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=diesel+intake+clogging&qpvt=diesel+intake+clogging&qpvt=diesel+intake+clogging&qpvt=diesel+intake+clogging&FORM=IGRE
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »

Thats what i want but can't find one with low K's
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »
Ot I know, but 1 of the guys in our group who camped at Somerset Dam last weekend had a VERY tidy 06 multi valve 100 series with 150 k on it.
Thanks to the previous owner
( his dad)
This model was on my "want" list when looking to upgrade a few years back.
Lucky so n so 🤤

cheers

Cheers

Jwb

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »
Sweet Jesus! What is it with all these veteran and vintage fourby owners  :o
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/results?sortby=Price&offset=0&setype=sort&q=%28And.Service.Carsales._.%28C.Make.Toyota._.Model.Landcruiser.%29_.Year.range%281998..2002%29.%29&limit=12
Gotta love those 1990s owners bragging with '$10000 worth of receipts in the last few months'  :'(

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2017, 01:36:42 PM »
Sweet Jesus! What is it with all these veteran and vintage fourby owners  :o

Easy, they are more reliable and easier to fix then the modern sh iet boxes that took their place.
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »
After flicking through some of those adds I'm kicking myself.

15 years ago I sold my 1991 HZJ75 with 180k on it for $19,000.

Apparently they've only lost about $1,000 in value over the last 15 years....

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2017, 09:32:12 AM »
Easy, they are more reliable and easier to fix then the modern sh iet boxes that took their place.

Yes it's all about manufacturers trying to meet tougher emissions standards- http://zettiemissions.com/summary-of-emission-requirements/
From lower table you can see the effect of Euro5 Particulate Matter standards for domestic diesels coming into play as of 1/11/2013 for any new models (ie DPF fitment for any new model releases approaching that date) whereas existing models like the MN Triton and Challenger without DPF could continue to be sold right up to 1/11/2016 and hence Mitsis new Triton and Pajero Sport models last year joining the rest of the makers. I'll take a low km 2015 Challenger with an eye to our future towing requirements thanks, rather than a tired Toyota, etc  :cheers: 

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2017, 01:53:31 PM »
If your happy to consider a petrol 200series why not consider a Y62.

People are currently asking 45-50k for series one ST-L's

I paid 52k for mine over 3 years ago!! I rekon in 18months you should be able to buy a tidy one within your budget.
$49k is surely taking the piss!! Though if they are still fetching that money I haven't lost too much to depreciation :)

But it will probably be newer than an equivalent priced petrol 200sereis, has a lot more power and a better gearbox not to mention its pretty bloody huge inside!!

In fact if your prepared to consider a petrol powered option between Nissan and toyota the Y62 really is the default choice!
If you like Prado's and are happy with petrol the 4litre V6 is a cracker of an engine too!

If you like GU patrols the 4.8 auto solves the woeful performance issues of the 3.0CRD, but be warned, the fuel use horror stories are true! At least they were for my 4.8, would still buy another in a heartbeat though:)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:31:58 PM by petrolburner »
Complete Campsite Fraser XTE

2013 Nissan Patrol Y62 ST-L

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »

I paid 52k for mine over 3 years ago!! I rekon in 18months you should be able to buy a tidy one within your budget.
$49k is surely taking the piss!! Though if they are still fetching that money I haven't lost too much to depreciation :)

But it will probably be newer than an equivalent priced petrol 200sereis, has a lot more power and a better gearbox not to mention its pretty bloody huge inside!!

In fact if your prepared to consider a petrol powered option between Nissan and toyota the Y62 really is the default choice!
If you like Prado's and are happy with petrol the 4litre V6 is a cracker of an engine too!

If you like GU patrols the 4.8 auto solves the woeful performance issues of the 3.0CRD, but be warned, the fuel use horror stories are true! At least they were for my 4.8, would still buy another in a heartbeat though:)

So is the y62 better on petty than the GU?  :cheers:

Offline two up

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »
Totally different beast.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2017, 07:57:47 PM »
Quote from: Nomad
Depends whose calculator you use... apparently some of them you read about get better economy than a Daweoo Matiz'....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2017, 08:13:25 PM »

Havnt taken one for a wheel yet but the Y62 has got a good rep.  I looked at a few on the Internet about a week ago. I reckon $50k will buy something decent.  Seriously considering hanging on to the Cruza until late 2018 early 2019 now. Hoping my $$ might go a bit further by then.

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »

Yes, waaaay better!!
The y62 for its size and power is pretty decent on fuel really. 13 to 15L/100km on the freeway compared to 20L/100 at best in the 4.8, modded similarly. 

Towing my boat the 4.8 never used less than 30L/100km of petrol and on lpg never less than 35L/100km. Once I averaged 50L/100km of LPG into a howling headwind!!

Same boat with the Y62 and use is down to 20L/100km at best and a worst of 24L/100lm and that is going a lot faster than the 4.8 could go!!

Note, I don't drive to save fuel at all, I tow at or above the speed limit wherever safe to do so.
Complete Campsite Fraser XTE

2013 Nissan Patrol Y62 ST-L

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »
I've driven a few 150 series prados at work - the thing I hate the most with them is the restricted vision out of the front windscreen. Not really a car I'd enjoy punting through some tight tracks. Im much more used to good foward vision from 70 & 80 series cruisers and my current Discovery 3(by far the best vision out of the drivers seat)

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2017, 10:42:54 PM »
can't recall what it was set at, but was nothing special. The 3" exhaust made a differance, and the intercooler made a difference again power wise. I never got it dyno'd, but seat of the pants I noticed straight away a power gain with the intercooler fitted. In hindsight I should have just 1HDFTE'd the thing instead of adding all that fear to a 1HZ, would have been a much better option.
X2

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »
Hey Muzza, after 4700 k's struggling in the very slow lane with the big box on the back, a bloke seems to think my 105 days are numbered also...
I'm now in the same spot as you.
Oh bother, what to do.
First thing I did was check the back seat width of the possible replacements as I got 3 kids.
The L/C, and Pootrols, have it over the 4 door utes in that dept. I need every inch I can get with 3 kids.
2013 Expanda OB