Author Topic: Australianna books and movies  (Read 8911 times)

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
Australianna books and movies
« on: November 23, 2016, 07:17:14 PM »
  I'm an avid reader and love australian books circa early to mid nineteen hundreds. Books like, to name a few....
Tom Kruse. The birdsville track mailman.
Tom Cole the croc shooter, Hell west and crooked.
Most of len Beadells books.
Bill 'Swampy' Marsh, Goldie
Charlie Shultz, The Big Run.
Even later books like:-
Barry Heards, Well Done Those Men.
  Just to give you an idea of what I am interested in.
Now here's the thing.... I'm looking for more books in that genre.
I have been looking for a copy of " The Lone Wolf.Last of the OldTime Prospecters." The autobiography of Sam Elliott. If anyone has a copy and wants to sell it....name your price. I want it.
And there's another book set in the King Leopold ranges about a fella that wanted to muster the cattle out of there but got caught up in a cyclone and nearly perished with his crew. Cann't for the life of me remember the name of the book, but I borrowed it and read it but want to add it to my collection because it is worth re reading again. Love that sort of stuff.
So this is what I'm thinking.....maybe we can start a thread thingy for nerdy book readers to share not books so much as titles of great reads to enlighten us to the great and wonderful heritage and culture of this great land and its pioneers.
This can also swing towards old Aussie docos like the movies Caltex used to make eg. They made one called 'The Back of Beyond' about Tom Kruse.
Just puttin' it out there to see what yis reckon.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
Re: Australianna books and movies
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 07:36:01 PM »
Do you want books written at the time, or about the time?

Its $3.99 to watch Back of Beyond on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be2UM5_Nf2M
I really enjoyed it.  There used to be a 'free copy' but its been hit with copyright notice and taken down.

"Captain Thunderbolt and His Lady. The true story of bushrangers Frederick Ward and Mary Ann Bugg" by Carol Baxter: The story of Captain Thunderbolt. Longest roaming bushranger in Australian history. And one of the few to escape Cockatoo Island. They recently discovered the old solitary cells on Cockatoo that he was held in.

"They're a weird Mob" by Nino Culetta publ. 1957 - story of a new immigrant coming to terms with Australia. Not really the pioneer times but a good insight into the 50's migrants who found Australia as weird as the first fleeters.

"My Droving Days: Life on the long paddock" - Peter Moore - Basically stories of a long distance drover in the 1950's

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:42:24 PM by tk421 »
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:43:59 PM »
Both young fella.
Yep, thats what I'm talking about. The Captain Thunderbolt book. I'll look into that one. Thanks mate.
They're a weird mob is a cracker of a read.
Another bewdy is " Here's Luck" by Lenny Lower. Had tears streaming through 80% of the book.

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 07:47:06 PM »
My droving days. Thanks. I'll look into that one too.

Offline Titfish

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 07:54:25 PM »
They're a weird mob was a cracking good movie too.
Check out Tom Cole. He wrote other books as well. Google them.
"The Story of Isabella Mary Kelly" by Maurie Garland. Again, google her.

If you are up for a good read, although it has nothing to do with Australia and want something that is light hearted, treat yourself to a book called "The Little World of Don Camillo" by Giovanni Guareschi

I'll have to go through some of my old books and see what I can come up with.

A good idea by the way. Should have had this going ages ago.

Ken

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 07:55:23 PM »
In addition to they're a weird mob, the series includes gone gougin and gone fishin with the same characters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 07:58:32 PM »
Hit the Road Jack is a good read about travels with Gelignite Jack as is Dust and Glory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 08:02:07 PM »
That would be gelignite jack murrey of the redex fame?

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 08:04:01 PM »
I have a lot of books that were my dads, from ion idresss etc I'll try and post up. Iam looking at moving them . They're weird mob was written by an Irishmen funny enough but agree great book and movie.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 08:07:02 PM »
. They recently discovered the old solitary cells on Cockatoo that he was held

Worked on cockatoo when it was closing. I know where the cells were, did they really claim they have been lost?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 08:44:12 PM »
I have a lot of books that were my dads, from ion idresss etc I'll try and post up. Iam looking at moving them . They're weird mob was written by an Irishmen funny enough but agree great book and movie.

pm sent
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »
Worked on cockatoo when it was closing. I know where the cells were, did they really claim they have been lost?

Under the front of the cookhouse?  Certainly did

http://www.cockatooisland.gov.au/about/heritage-projects
http://www.harbourtrust.gov.au/mediarelease/convict-cells-discovered-cockatoo-island

"In 2009, initial archaeological research excavations were undertaken in the convict precinct on Cockatoo Island which revealed nothing. The Sydney Harbour Federation Trust’s heritage architect Libby Bennett re-examined early drawings of the site and recommended that excavation work should be relocated to the area in front of the former cookhouse, which resulted in the exciting discovery of two solitary confinement cells. Buried for over 100 years, the uncovering of the solitary confinement cells is the most significant archaeological discovery the Harbour Trust has made.
The cells in the convict precinct were originally built in 1841 when Cockatoo Island was established as a convict prison. Built beneath the original convict cookhouse, the cells were each designed to hold a single convict and would have been used as punishment for the hardened secondary or re-offending prisoners sent to Cockatoo Island for hard labour from 1839.
It is likely that the cells were used until the Cockatoo Island prison closed in 1869. It is unclear what their future use was after that, but the cells were filled in and covered over during the 1890s.
Excavation recommenced in July 2009 and within a few days, the roof slabs and front entry walls were uncovered. Over the next two months, progressive excavations revealed the two solitary confinement cells, the ration store, the coal store and two water cisterns. Once the excavations were finished in August 2009, extensive stabilisation and reconstruction work was required on the front entry walls and doorways, side retaining walls, the roof and a timber floor and door were installed. The conservation and reconstruction work was completed in July 2014.
These cells are a rare surviving example of convict solitary confinement architecture. Their discovery and reconstruction provides a compelling revelation of the harshness of the convict system on Cockatoo Island."
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline raider

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
That's weird cause I was going to write about the same topic last night but didn't know whether to put it in the miscellaneous or general discussion section. I can't get enough of Australiana books also. Just finished a book about Ernest Giles and have Tom Cole's Hell, West and Crooked  and Ion Idriess books on Lasseter and Kidman. Have some Swampy Marsh books and a few Bruce Simpson ones too. Bruce Simpson is a great Bush poet. Found a free copy of Spinifex and Sand about David Carnegie on line on the weekend which I have saved to my favorites to read at a later date. Inherited my Old man's Lawson and Patterson poetry books so I like reading them. Probably going to get some Len Beadell books next as the Father-in-Law used to drive a Grader in the Outback making roads about 50 years ago and he is always telling me stories.

Raider
Don't live a life of going-to-do's and die with nothing done

Offline Mudguts

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 09:35:24 PM »
Here's a couple, sorry on phone so painful to type a description!

Nothing Prepared Me by Edna Eckford Quilty.

Packhorse and Waterhole by Gordon Buchanan.

Bruce Simpson's books.

We of the Never Never by Jeannie Gunn.

A Sunburnt Childhood by Toni Tapp Coutts.

Regards,
Dicko.

Regards,
Dicko.

'Slow & right beats fast & wrong'

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 09:45:26 PM »
Check out "A Fortunate Life" an autobiography by A.B.Facey.

It was an English class reference book back when I was in school, it was a great read about a hard life.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 09:48:24 PM »

It was an English class reference book back when I was in school, it was a great read about a hard life.
I have that book if any body wants it, reminded of my father a lot   :'(
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 10:10:48 PM »

An excellent book.  :cup:

And we think we have tough today.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 10:25:31 PM »
Ive just started reading some long letters my granddad wrote back in the 1920's.
Long story short he came out to Australia from Denmark after the 1st World War. He wrote back to his army friends every year telling them about his life and travels. Its a small book he would write in, send it to them to read, then they would send it back to him with their news. My mum has translated it recently.
He worked all over Australia from Tassie, to Victoria and he eventually settled in WA.
All rural work, and its a fascinating insight, not only to Australian life through his eyes, but also to what life was like back then.
His recounting of tales retold to him from diggers who were at Gallipoli and Bullecourt, crossing a stormy Bass strait in a small ship with 20 passengers and 2000 sheep, getting Barcoo rot in his hands, spending 3 months clearing virgin land at Danyo on a handshake with a farmer for shares in the 1st years crop(hoping it wouldn't be a drought) watching his first game of football at Murrayville where the barber was driven to alcoholism due to the war (PTSD). These are just a few from one of his letters. Im glad my elderly mum found them and translated them otherwise they would have been lost.
The way he describes it is an incredible insight to the harsh rural life many endured in the hope of a better life.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 06:17:25 AM »
Ive just started reading some long letters my granddad wrote back in the 1920's.
Long story short he came out to Australia from Denmark after the 1st World War. He wrote back to his army friends every year telling them about his life and travels. Its a small book he would write in, send it to them to read, then they would send it back to him with their news. My mum has translated it recently.
He worked all over Australia from Tassie, to Victoria and he eventually settled in WA.
All rural work, and its a fascinating insight, not only to Australian life through his eyes, but also to what life was like back then.
His recounting of tales retold to him from diggers who were at Gallipoli and Bullecourt, crossing a stormy Bass strait in a small ship with 20 passengers and 2000 sheep, getting Barcoo rot in his hands, spending 3 months clearing virgin land at Danyo on a handshake with a farmer for shares in the 1st years crop(hoping it wouldn't be a drought) watching his first game of football at Murrayville where the barber was driven to alcoholism due to the war (PTSD). These are just a few from one of his letters. Im glad my elderly mum found them and translated them otherwise they would have been lost.
The way he describes it is an incredible insight to the harsh rural life many endured in the hope of a better life.

That's an incredible treasure. My great grandfather was persuaded during his retirement to type out his memoirs of his time in the colonial service in Africa in the 20's to 40's. It's a great read. Turns out he wasn't a bad story teller.

The family did a private press of them to turn them into a book for the family. It would probably be much cheaper these days.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 06:22:58 AM by tk421 »

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »
"The Reminiscings of Tom Petrie" is a good read about the bloke & early Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area.
I have a very old copy somewhere but can't remember how I came by it.
Attached is the cover of a book by an Hungarian refugee of the 1930's who I ended up working under in the Qld government. I was involved with him during some of the articles mentioned.
He was the hardest boss I ever had but one of the most decent blokes I've had the pleasure to know.
I'm sure I could get you a copy if interested.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »
Seems to be the way Steffo, I  did 9 years with a bloke that was regarded as a complete mongrel of a boss, everyone saying guit and find another job ..
As for  a boss he has been the BEST boss by far Ive ever worked for,  tuff [ granted ] and a Bloody decent bloke, and over 20 years later still a great friend .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline raider

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 02:00:54 PM »
We have a book shop up here called Book on Dean which has old and out of print books. Great little shop so I have written some of these titles down and I'm going looking.
Don't live a life of going-to-do's and die with nothing done

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 05:47:24 PM »
"The Reminiscings of Tom Petrie" is a good read about the bloke & early Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area.
I have a very old copy somewhere but can't remember how I came by it.
Attached is the cover of a book by an Hungarian refugee of the 1930's who I ended up working under in the Qld government. I was involved with him during some of the articles mentioned.
He was the hardest boss I ever had but one of the most decent blokes I've had the pleasure to know.
I'm sure I could get you a copy if interested.
Steve
Would absolutly love a copy if you can find one mate.
Definitly some great books here.
Gunna keep me busy for a bit. Trouble is...new job..long hours (13-15 p/day) and no time to stick my nose in a book. Used to read in my lunch break but don't get them now.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
Just found this place for old Aussie movies and shiz.

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/5-australian?#category_id=5&nbrProducts=30

anyone dealt with em?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 01:42:33 PM »
Does the Aussie Movie running on empty count?
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)