Author Topic: Storage for your Porta Potti  (Read 15976 times)

Offline kiwi_camper

• Tent User
Storage for your Porta Potti
« on: May 27, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »
After a fair few nights scurrying off to the toilet in the dark, I decided to buy a 365 Porta Potti. Hubby has already stated it is for number one use only LOL. Although the quality of the toilet is very good, hubby is concerned that if we can't empty it before travelling, there is a risk it could leak. With that in mind, I thought we could find a suitable plastic container with lid or something similar to store and transport it in. Does anyone have something they use and can suggest? All suggestions are greatly appreciated :D
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Storage for your Porta Potti
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:09:41 PM »
We put ours in heavy, heavy duty garbage bag and store it in side locker on trailer. It is stored only with toilet stuff, so if it did leak, not such a big deal. Just a bit of a bad job for my wife to clean. Lol

PS. Her toilet, not mine, she uses it, I don't, she cleans it, i don't. Lol
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »
We put ours into a big garbage bag and keep it in the trailer tub with everything else. It doesn't leak, it is a thetford one though. Our previous Chinese copy leaked :(
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »
Mine came with a waterproof/lined bag that has some pockets for the chemicals etc.
I thought you could buy them separately? Maybe have a chat with some of the camping stores. They will just need the dimensions for your toilet.
Our bag is a few years old now so the handles aren't much chop, but the bag is still good.
Always give 100%... Unless you are giving blood.. then it may not go so well...
The following users thanked this post: Gandalf the White

Offline Benji

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »
Infront camping gear make a range of canvas porta potti bags.  We've had a couple of portable toilets.  Only time we've had a problem with leaking was when we failed to secure the toilet properly under the bed when we had a caravan.  As we came to a stop the toilet slid across the floor and crashed into the cupboard opposite which cracked the internals causing it to leak.  Otherwise they seem to be sealed quite well and don't leak if not over full.

Cheers,
Benji
Lifestyle Extenda Elite

Offline Red1

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »
Ours fits neatly into a storage space case I got from ARB. When it is sealed up no smell can get out and if the worst happens it can't leak out. I then just put the box into the Swan.

Cheers

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »
Although we've never even taken ours with us I have a canvas bag for it.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 08:02:33 PM »
I have a toolbox on the drawbar mine sits in, but I have seen a canvas style bag made from the same vinyl type material that the awnings are made from.
They seal completely and don't leak.

If that isn't easy to come by, go to a local dive shop. They sell dive bags that seal completely.
Might be a bit pricey, but what price do you put on not having to clean that mess up???  ???

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Swag-Bag-Extra-Large-Burke-Wills-PVC-Black-Dry-Bag-50cm-Diameter-Waterproof-/261166968566?pt=AU_Tents&hash=item3ccec3aef6&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10L-Weisshorn-Outdoor-Portable-Camping-Toilet-Carry-Bag-Caravan-Boat-Fishing-/390601383763?pt=AU_Backpacks_Hydration&hash=item5af1a81f53&_uhb=1

Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »
Ours too gets stored in a vinyl bag, which in turn gets put in the gulwing box on the KK. We've never had any trouble with it leaking or smelling. We do occaisionally take it with us on day trips to find a dump point to empty it if there is not somewhere to empty it where we are camped and have never had any issues with it.

The only "problem" we have ever had with ours if its been a hot day and the toilet is all sealed up there is sometimes a build up of pressure in it and when the slide is opened the pressure is released and well I'll let you work out the rest from there..........
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »
I put mine in the back of the vehicle, hang on, that is just a shovel, the paper goes on the dash.  I honestly cannot fathom the need to take a toilet on the road, when a shovel will suffice perfectly.  As they say, ignorance is bliss.
Tjupurula

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 10:38:09 PM »
if your not shy you could always ditch the porta poti and go for a tow bar mounted toilet seat

All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline Fozzle

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 10:57:23 PM »
I put mine in the back of the vehicle, hang on, that is just a shovel, the paper goes on the dash.  I honestly cannot fathom the need to take a toilet on the road, when a shovel will suffice perfectly.  As they say, ignorance is bliss.
Tjupurula

Some of the station stays etc are making you have a chem toilet as a condition of staying on them these days.. So if you wanna go.. You need somewhere to go.

KingBilly

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »
We put our Thetford 365 in a canvas bag (cost $20) and then strap it down on the drawbar.  We haven't had a leak but the manual says it "may" leak through the top flush tank filler lid.  Doubt the bottom tank would leak.

KB

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 02:42:57 PM »
We also have a Thetford, we don't use the chemicals that came with it, instead we use a mixture of water and Nappysan.

Before we bought our little camping trailer, we carried it in the back of the car, then in the front compartment of the trailer. We have never had issues with leaks or smell.
When we get our new CT it will have a home in the front storage compartment without any bag. If we need to, we will dig a hole and bury the contents, give it a swirl with clean water and then store it.

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 03:23:31 PM »
We store ours (read: Hers) in a vinyl bag Mrs Snow knocked up and it lives in the space at the back of the Cub. See photo.
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline richardl

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 04:40:49 PM »
Have been thinking of getting one for a while now, I believe you have to have one when camping on beaches?
Just a bit concerned about the chemicals needed and the availability of dump points

Richard
Patrol and Goldstream WingII

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »
You don't need to buy chemicals for it, just buy woolies brand napisan and mix with water, 1 lid full to 1/2 a lt of water. It works a treat and there is no smell.

KingBilly

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »
Use this and dump in any toilet http://www.biomagic.com.au/

KB

Offline 03hilux

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 08:52:38 PM »
We just chuck our thetford in the camper. Its never leaked.
Growing up, and even now, my dad has always owned a yatch. On a few of the old one he had, we used  to have a porta potti. Wehave done lots of off shore sailing in all sorts of weather, and the PP never leaked. So when it came time for me to buy one, i had faith in the thetford brand.

Offline richardl

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 09:36:41 PM »
Ok so now comes the question of size, which one for a family of 4?

Was going to ask how often they need to be emptied, but that would depend on many unanswerables!

Richard
Patrol and Goldstream WingII

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 09:53:37 PM »
If ya gunna be serving curries i would be tempted to buy a few porta poti's , I carnt remember what the p&s ratio is ya have to refer back to kenny
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline kiwi_camper

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 10:05:44 PM »
Ok so now comes the question of size, which one for a family of 4?

Was going to ask how often they need to be emptied, but that would depend on many unanswerables!

Richard

We got the Thetford 365 Cube as it is close to the height of a standard toilet and also has a bigger holding capacity. We were hoping to fit it in the tool box but it was about 1cm too wide LOL. Which is why I was asking about what to store it in.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 10:45:04 PM »
Use this and dump in any toilet http://www.biomagic.com.au/

KB

I have heard it's not all that good and expensive?

Napisan can be emptied into any toilet or buried and is the cheapest option.

Offline Luckymiles

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 07:19:15 AM »
I know this is an old thread but for anyone that is interested, I have a thetford brand toilet and had it in a plastic storage container without a lid in the back of my old GQ patrol.

I was driving down a really steep lumpy track (the type you need heavily modified 4x4s for, i.e. body lift, aggressive mud terrains, suspension lift, lockers, etc. You get the idea).

Anyway, the cheap plastic container split and the ratchet straps came off and the toilet rolled around the back cargo area up from the back doors to the cargo barrier upside down while jumping up and down.

I couldn't stop until I got to the bottom of the hill.

Toilet didn't break or leak. I can't think of anything better to say about them.

P.s. toilet was not empty either. Both water and waste tanks.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »

Toilet didn't break or leak. I can't think of anything better to say about them.

P.s. toilet was not empty either. Both water and waste tanks.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Is that how you got your username for the forum?? ;D
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build