Author Topic: dropdown fridge slides  (Read 33464 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: dropdown fridge slides
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
They look like a great idea, just way overpriced.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »
They look like a great idea, just way overpriced.

They are an innovative, unique and handy product and although not cheap at around $600, why do you say "over" priced'?
Compared to what?

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »
Quote from: GeeTee
...around $600, why do you say "over" priced'?
cause I feel they are.

Compared to what?
Compared to what they are worth and cost to make.

If its the same ones, I wonder if the latest shipment has arrived from China yet, that was the delay a while back I read on a few forums.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »
cause I feel they are.

If its the same ones, I wonder if the latest shipment has arrived from China yet, that was the delay a while back I read on a few forums.
I was under the same impression regarding price for a long time but finally bit the bullet and purchased one. They are fantastic and compared to a "normal" fridge slide, not to badly priced.
I looked at building one but by the time I purchased two gas struts, a set of quality runners, a locking mechanism, bushes, bolts, screws, alloy handle, steel etc, your well on the way to buying one. And believe me, if I can make something, I will
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline RainmanWA

• Swag User
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »
I was under the same impression regarding price for a long time but finally bit the bullet and purchased one. They are fantastic and compared to a "normal" fridge slide, not to badly priced.
I looked at building one but by the time I purchased two gas struts, a set of quality runners, a locking mechanism, bushes, bolts, screws, alloy handle, steel etc, your well on the way to buying one. And believe me, if I can make something, I will

I spoke to the bloke that designed the thing about 4 or 5 years ago. He wanted to have it made in Australia but it was going to cost between $1200 and $1500, so in the end to keep costs down they went to China.

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 07:34:23 AM »
just did a 70k round trip to work with the fridge in the slide but nothing else packed in the cruiser.....bugger me that ds40 rattles and squeaks..... might lose my sense of humour after 5000ks to the tip and back :-[. hoping heaps of gear around it and "holiday road" song in my head will drown out the squeaky thing.
[insert witty comment]

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »
cause I feel they are.

So if you feel $550+ is 'over' priced, what are they worth? And how do you arrive at/justify 'worth'? Serious Q.. I'm interested to know

Find us on Facebook

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »
So if you feel $550+ is 'over' priced,
I've said that more than once.

what are they worth?
Worth and cost are 2 totally different things. To some people they are priceless. Vertically challenged people for example. Some people probably almost couldnt do without them.

But I'd guess out of Chinlee $100 to buy them in container loads which I would guess the importer would probably do?
You can get the Genuine Oztent Foxwing awning for <$150-200 out of the factory in China. Sale price in AU, $800-1200...

What should they sell for thats up to the reseller. but I'd say tripling your investment would be a good return wouldnt you?
So possibly $300-350 to triple your investment... But I see normal fridge slides overpriced too. I see many camping/fishing/4wding/motorcycling things as stupidly overpriced. You need it, come in, take a seat... let us lube you up.

And how do you arrive at/justify 'worth'?
Same as anybody on earth - again, worth and cost are to different ends of reality..

Just cause its 4wd/camper/caravan/motorcycle/fishing/sold.in.Australia doesn't mean you have to have your arse split to buy it. But most AU companies seem to believe its their right cause its 4wd/camper/caravan/motorcycle/fishing/sold.in.Australia... One of the reasons why business' are dying in their dozens every week (add to that stupid rates of pay required for noobs on weekends etc.).

ARB lockers in USA - 1/2 the price than buying them from the building in Kilsyth that makes them. The latest bull**** story I read on this forum I believe is that shops in the US use them as a "loss seller" - they lose money to get you in the door, and make their money back on everything else. EG: $700 stauns ;D ;D ;D ... But that same store will sell them at that cheap price to Aussies over the internet - they arent going to get you in the door to make more money.

How many more drop slides do you think they would sell if they were $300-350? 5x as many? small profit, large turnover...

The defence rests.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:33:45 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »
although not cheap at around $600, why do you say "over" priced'?
Compared to what?

I'm with Lost on this.
"Compared to what?"

Lets say compared to what the wife and I combined salary is andhow much money we have/earn/afford.
I would love one, can't justify the cost. My wife is short,158cms, still, can't afford the cost to bug one.
Like many things, would love one and would be helpful, go without due to cost.
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
I reckon that if yyou have a 4WD you''d be used to paying overpriced.  When you see what you get v's an Engel fridge slide, you really get more than the price difference in value from the system. But I am glad I got mine second hand and would not have bought new at the price.

Offline 99disco

• Soft Floor Camper User
dropdown fridge slides
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 04:22:09 PM »
I'm surprised to hear you say that roo, I've got one on the home made draws in my patrol with a 50l waeco on it and the thing has not made a single noise, either full or empty.

Shane

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »
I'm with Lost on this.
"Compared to what?"

Lets say compared to what the wife and I combined salary is andhow much money we have/earn/afford.
I would love one, can't justify the cost. My wife is short,158cms, still, can't afford the cost to bug one.
Like many things, would love one and would be helpful, go without due to cost.

Yep I know $600 is a fair chunk of cash.

It is a unique innovative product. Yes it is more expensive than a normal fridge slide... but it offers significant extra advantages, and is the only product that does so. The development costs, componenet costs manufacturing costs are are more than a normal fridge slide and that is recommended in the price.

It has no direct competitor in the market so I'm still very intersted in how you arrive at the 'over' priced bit...?

Admitting that you'd like one, but can't justify the expense (or humbly admitting you can't afford it) are very different things to dismissing/criticising the product as 'overpriced'.

Find us on Facebook

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »
Quote from: rodw
I reckon that if you have a 4WD you''d be used to paying overpriced.
Yep, sadly agree as I mentioned above.. Its almost a license to rip people off. But doesnt make it right.

he development costs, componenet costs manufacturing costs are are more than a normal fridge slide and that is recommended in the price.
Those costs would have been recouped on the first shipment or he isnt playing the game right. So that arguement fails like Joolia Gillard in a beauty pageant.

It has no direct competitor in the market so I'm still very intersted in how you arrive at the 'over' priced bit...?
or are you just trying to be argumentitive?

So if this bloke charged $5000 for it (remember theres development and manufacturing costs - and in China that runs into cents a day), you'd still say its good value? Didnt think so.

Admitting that you'd like one, but can't justify the expense (or humbly admitting you can't afford it) are very different things to dismissing/criticising the product as 'overpriced'.
I can afford several of them - they are still stupidly overpriced.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:14:47 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 11:12:03 AM »
GeeTee,

Do agree, I see this all the time, I'm not going to pay $20 for one of those I could make it for
$2.

If that's the case then do it!

Reality is someone has put a lot of time and effort it to designing and producing a very good product.

They have to recoupe their start up costs and manufacturing costs, they also have to provide a gaurantee
and in a lot of cases reputable companies will repair and replace equipement they know has been damaged
by customer abuse and not defective equipment.

It's very easy to look at a finished product and say I could make it for half that price, reality is they had the smarts
to do it in the first place so are entitled to make a buck before all the copy cats rip off their idea.

Yes the slides are expensive, but they are very solidly made and function extremely well. Both my partner
and myself love it and would purchase one again.

Cheers
Leighw
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:16:15 AM by LeighW »
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »
Yes the slides are expensive, but they are very solidly made and function extremely well. Both my partner and myself love it and would purchase one again.

That sums up how I feel. Only bought it because I got it second hand at a bit of a discount but having used it for a while, I would be prepared to buy one new on my next car subject of course to it handling the extra weight! I think they weigh 30 kg before you add a fridge.

Offline Dogsbreakfast

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 11:25:49 PM »
I agree that they are expensive. Good idea, would i buy one - no, as cost v benefit to me isnt worth it.

Saying that someone thinks they are expensive because you think they couldn't afford one is pretty poor form imo....
http://www.somuchviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/beer-holder.gif

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »
Lost, not looking for an argument - thanks for the troll sledge! - just thought you could offer us all a little more than 'I feel they are'.

If this fridge slide was designed exactly like a regular fridge slide but cost twice as much, maybe it could be criticised as over-priced. If there were spliminty-teen other drop-down slides of similar quality but offered at a lesser price, maybe it could be criticised as over-priced.

But it's not. And there isn't. Even the most casual of glances shows it's got twice the 'bits' of a conventional one-plane fridge slide and there are significant user benefits compared to other slides. Of course its design makes life easier for short people... a related benefit is for those with families, it allows smaller (possibly shy) kids to get thier own drinks without asking Mum & Dad. Plus, in some vehicle fit-outs, it allows fridges to be poked into places where they may not otherwise be carried or easily accessed on a conventional one-plane slide due to vehicle tailgate clearance etc

Disregarding any 'bling' value  ;D of the product I reckon many, if not most, experienced campers/travellers will recognise the plusses/benefits in the design, even if those benefits are of little or no use to them.

The product does have drawbacks that may or may not be an issue depending on vehicle fit-out and the customer's use situation: It is heavy (25+kg) and cannot be locked in the open position like many/most other one-plane slides (possible roll-back if the vehicle is parked on a slope). Some model fridges are a tight fit. Routing of the fridge power cord must be more carefully considered than a regular slide (loop it through the rear-most fridge handle). Like any fridge slide based on roller elements, there is the risk of dirt damage if used in an unsealed or poorly sealed vehicle. As the intention is for this product to be used in a wagon (with an assumption of reasonable dust sealing) this is not much of an issue. I am aware there were one or two quality issues on the earlier models that - to the best of my knowledge - have been corrected/refined by its manufacturer.

Expensive? Compared to other slides, yes. It is roughly double the price.
Value? That's up to the customer to decide, based on his/her usage and vehicle fitout situation, with the product features/advantages I hope I have adequately outlined above.
Over-priced? Compared to conventional fridge slides in the market, its extra features, usability - plus extra component and manufacturing costs (whether chingchang or Aussie) - I don't think this criticism can be objectively or fairly levelled at the drop-down slide.

Rambo,  I'm sure you'll be happy with how it works and the manufacturer back-up etc
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:21:00 PM by GeeTee »

Find us on Facebook

Offline UTE 701

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • " QUEENSLANDER ! "
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »
Glenn , Just ignore him ... I know I do !

Anyway thanks for all your info and facts .

Can you tell me ;  is there anyway a fridge in a bag will work on one of these ... I don't think I've seen a photo of one in any of the advertising pics .

Cheers.

" OWZITGAARN ? "

Offline mudbro2

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2012, 12:27:24 AM »
Hi, I have one of the older ones with the black handle, and I have an Engel 40 litre with its cover on. The handle on the slide lined up with the fridge handle, so I drilled a hole in the centre of the fridge handle and mounted the plastic clip (that holds the slide handle up) onto it. You have to keep an eye on the lock as mine and two mates have been replaced due to falling apart as the nut on the back holding the lock in place breaks as it is very thin. When you consider this lock holds back your heavy fridge (and slide) while off roading which makes it the pivot point for all that weight. My mates didn`t break the nut, but after all that pressure over time had worked its way sideways (like it was cross threaded) and when removed the threads on the lock were worn down. Its not a problem getting it fixed, just ring them (MSA) and they send you a new lock to you within a couple of days, no questions asked. I still love it (so does my short wife) but think putting a larger nut on it could solve the problem.

Offline RainmanWA

• Swag User
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2012, 08:52:16 AM »

The product does have drawbacks ..... and cannot be locked in the open position like many/most other one-plane slides (possible roll-back if the vehicle is parked on a slope).

Not sure how old your slide is Gee Tee, but mine can be locked into position when pulled straight out horizontally and of course once its been dropped down rolling back isnt going to happen, even on the steepest of slopes.

I did an overnighter on the weekend with mine and as said previously the power cable is going to take some working out to avoid damaging it. I ended up using a couple of cable ties to hold the cord out of the way but not sure how they will work long term.

I think that a moments forgetfulness may end up with a cord snipped in two if your not careful but some corrugated tubing will probably help. Any tips on how others have sorted out the cable on their 40 litre Engel will be gratefully accepted.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 09:12:59 AM »

After a bit of advice from D4D I then purchased the metal bracket ARB use on their fridge and that solved that problem. ;D

I have been in contact with MSA and they have suggested I drill some extra mounting holes to move the bracket further forwards - havent got round to that yet. They are also going to look into the problem to see if they can make a few improvements. I'm sure I wouldnt be the only one with the newer version of drop slide and a 40 litre Engel?

Hi Rainman

I don't think that fastening to the handle on an Engle is satisfactory regardless of what is used. It is only pressed tubing and under strain will always  release tension, unless the straps push back to where the handle mounts to the fridge. Engle make proper brackets for strapping to and they mount under the handles, they are a pain with the earlier covers but are designed by engle for holding the fridge down securely.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 09:24:17 AM »
I picked up the small brackets that mount tothe same spot as the handle and use 100kg turn buckles to hold my fridge down. I tried two sets of good straps but it always seemed to come loose. The turn buckles are excellent.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline RainmanWA

• Swag User
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
Hi Rainman

I don't think that fastening to the handle on an Engle is satisfactory regardless of what is used. It is only pressed tubing and under strain will always  release tension, unless the straps push back to where the handle mounts to the fridge. Engle make proper brackets for strapping to and they mount under the handles, they are a pain with the earlier covers but are designed by engle for holding the fridge down securely.

Yep I agree, I previously had an Engel slide that used turnbuckles - they were excellent for holding fridge in place. However the install intstructions for the drop slide says not to use them. When I asked MSA why not they advised that a lot of people where over tightening the turnbuckles causing the base to buckle so now they only recommend using straps. I'm still considering using the turnbuckles and just not going overboard. Not sure I've seen the Engel strap brackets?

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »
These were the ones

http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/cgi-bin/product.cgi?item_id=tdb530&item_string=&category=Fridge%20Accessories&sub_category=Tie%20Down%20Brackets

they may also help with the fouling of the handle as it will keep the straps closer to the fridge. I am with Jules i like turnbuckles, never loosen.

Jim