Author Topic: dropdown fridge slides  (Read 33280 times)

Offline rambo71

• Swag User
dropdown fridge slides
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:49:31 PM »
hi guys just after peoples feedback on these dropdown fridgeslides, getting a set of  drifta drawers made up for patrol & also looking at one of these for my 60ltr waceo.Does anybody have one what are they like ? they look sensational  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline jeb1900

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: dropdown fridge slides
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »
Heya mate, I've never owned a dropdown fridge slide though I have read mostly good things.  In a few instances, there were some who complained that they rattled a bit but overall everyone has been happy with them.   

Just yesterday I was eyeing off those Drifta drawers they look really good!  I would love to hear how you find them. 

Just wondering, I hope it's not too late but why dont you just get the Drifta drawer setup that allows the fridge to lay on the ground and go double drawer high?  IMO it'd be best to avoid the need to have a drop down fridge slide. 

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado and Sportscruiser 1550
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »
I have just installed the drop down slide on Drifta drawers.

As it is only a week old it hasn't been tested. The better half loves it so that is one plus. No rattles and works like a charm.

jeb1900, my thoughts with the drawers being flat was I had more space beside the fridge. Having double stacked drawers though you could close in the top over the fridge if possible and still have a flat floor.  :cheers:
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550

Offline rambo71

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:10:38 PM »
simple mate happy wife happy life .She thinks that double setup will take up to much room in that back of patrol which is her car that she drives everyday.its only my holiday car unfortunately (i Have a company car) ;D

Offline rambo71

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:13:09 PM »
Hi Chris-vi setup looks great mate hope mine looks that great.Just wondering did the slide come from drifta aswell.Cheers ;D :cheers:

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
Yes mate. Slide from Drifta as well. Was a good price so ordered it all in one hit. You are right with happy wife, happy life.  :laugh: Wife also drives the Prado to work during the week and if I am lucky I get to drive it at the weekend. She loves the drawers as everything is neat and tidy. I have one with the recovery gear and air compresser and she has shopping bags, chairs and umbrella in the other at the moment. ;D
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
I like the idea but as I have said before without a strut the scissor action is dangerous for little fingers.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »
I like the idea but as I have said before without a strut the scissor action is dangerous for little fingers.
There is a strut, just visable in the above pictures.
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 08:27:20 PM »
Sorry D4D, but I don't understand what you mean. There are 2 gas struts to help with the lowering and raising. To raise it back up you pull down on the blue handle. I am all for safety and lack of injuries.  :cheers:
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »
OK sounds like the design has been updated since I last played with them pre-MSA branding. The scissor action is still a pinch point.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »
No worries mate. All scissor actions can be dangerous if not watching. They seem to be a solid piece of gear and only time will tell.  :cheers:
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 08:44:53 PM »
OK sounds like the design has been updated since I last played with them pre-MSA branding. The scissor action is still a pinch point.
Yep, better handle clamping system, anti rattle upgrades, flash blue alloy and I guess gas strut addition.
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 10:18:16 PM »
I bought one last year second hand off eBay and it is really good. I have just replaced my 31 litre Waeco with an Engel 40 litre so it is even better now! This is the older one without the blue handle. I will say they are pretty heavy as they are made like a tank!

Yes the catch rattles around a bit and recently I realised the latch had come apart, I saw it early and it was just a matter of tightening it all up. It comes with mounting hardware for a number of fridges and the base is drilled in a few places so you can unbolt the rubber feet and bolt though them to secure the fridge. Matter of fact, I just added some Just Straps tiedown straps today to finish off the install. I also just added a strip of Self adhesive rubber from Clark Rubber at the back to take up the rattle and it is nice and snug when closed now.

After having it for 12 months I would say they are a good piece of gear and would recommend them provided the price does not scare you off!

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 11:45:19 PM »
Bought my MSA from Drifta as well......did some shopping around and found Drifta the best price.....paid $625 I think, the cost that may have seamed accessive at the time off purchase is soon forgotten when you use the lift for first time.....sensational piece of gear.

Cheers
2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 01:56:01 AM »

I have one of the first ones from when they were platinum branded and mine has two gas struts as well so I suspect they have been there all along, dont think they would work very well with out the struts.

We love ours, it doesn't rattle, and is good solid bit of gear - although its bloody heavy!
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 06:50:34 AM »
We love ours, the only issue is getting the power cord so that they don't catch/twist/foul when opening & closing. 2 lots of split tubing made all the difference.

2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 08:09:40 AM »
fitted Drifta drawers and DS40 to our 100 series in the last few weeks. I needed to make a few mods to fit our fridge....fiddly bugger but its done. We have a bushman fridge and the advice I received from MSA and Drifta conflicted a bit. MSA say to use DS50 but Drifta reckons you give away too much space as the bushman will fit the DS40...but it is tight. Well, they are both correct. The bushman fridge is a supa tight fit on the DS40 and I had to remove the travel bag and flatten the lower set of lid clips to clear the gas struts. I use the fridge at max size so only the bottom clips needed adjustment, also swapped some bolts around so the Nyloc nut was outside an bolt inside to gain a few more mm clearance as the handle passes the fridge body. The fridge had to be moved as far forward in the tray as possible so that the lid will open fully as it clears by only a few mm. The clip that holds the handle in place for travel had to be moved forward and up to adjust its placement and alignment so it would clear the body of the fridge. The DS50 would have been an easier fit and could have left the bag on but would have had given away 85mm of width for the pleasure...space is premium so we decided to go with the tight fit. It works but is something to keep in mind if you have this fridge and want a drop slide.
[insert witty comment]

Offline jeb1900

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »
Really keen on this Drifta drawer gear. 

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 12:21:34 PM »
Forgot to mention that mine isn't bolted through the top of the drawers, it sits a steal frame that is made from 6mm x 50mm flat bar that has been cut and welded into the exact same footprint as the slide.

I then drilled and tapped holes in the approapriate spots and put some black marine carper over the top. The frame itself is what is mounted permanently to the top opf draws. This allows me to quickly and easily pull the whole fridge slide out if I need to so that I can make use of the flat surface on top of the drawers.
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline rambo71

• Swag User
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 09:42:40 PM »
order my drifta drawers today can't wait to try them out in the patrol ;D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline UTE 701

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • " QUEENSLANDER ! "
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 09:52:47 PM »
I now have a fridge in the rear of my Ute on the false floor , and it is very close to the roof .

I have to get one of these .

Hey Chris , what is the overall width and length of the frame , if you could , please .
And what is the price ?

Is there still a slide out and tilt down version out there ?
Is it any good ?

" OWZITGAARN ? "

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »
I now have a fridge in the rear of my Ute on the false floor , and it is very close to the roof .

I have to get one of these .

Hey Chris , what is the overall width and length of the frame , if you could , please .
And what is the price ?

Is there still a slide out and tilt down version out there ?
Is it any good ?
here ya go Ute............  http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=13664.msg205483#msg205483
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline RainmanWA

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »
Some of you may have already seen this on Pradopoint, but I undertand there may actually be a few members out there that dont drive a Prado so you may have missed it. ;D

I have an Engel 40 litre that sits on a set of draws, so been dreaming of the drop slide for a number of years. Finally went out and purchased one a few weeks ago and installed it. Everything went well until I installed the bracket and C clips that hold the blue handle in place. When the handle of the slide is pulled back into the locking position it lines up directly with the fridge handle and cant be pushed all the way back into the C clip. The problem is made worse by the use of tie down straps, as they also get in the way.

After almost getting to the point of thinking of a refund, I used a couple of pieces of pine to push the C clips out a bit further in the hope that it would provide some clearance. They solved the problem nicely.

I then wasnt happy with how the tie down straps sit with the Engel handle. I think out on the road there is a good chance given a few bumps they will slide around the curve of the handle and lose tension. Also, if you place too much tension on the handle via the straps you might run the risk of bending the handle down.

After a bit of advice from D4D I then purchased the metal bracket ARB use on their fridge and that solved that problem. ;D

I have been in contact with MSA and they have suggested I drill some extra mounting holes to move the bracket further forwards - havent got round to that yet. They are also going to look into the problem to see if they can make a few improvements. I'm sure I wouldnt be the only one with the newer version of drop slide and a 40 litre Engel?

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 05:50:49 AM »
Hmm, mine is the older slide with the black handle. I just fitted an Engel 40 litre. I removed the front fridge handle and mounted the plastic clips where the fridge handle goes so the handle clips up on to them. The plates the clips are mounted to are a different design to the blue ones shown. On the weekend I grabbed some Just Straps fridge straps from BCF and they loop through the C clip bracket. At the back, the handle was alo removed and replaced with some brackets that allowd me to use tie downs. Looks like I need to take some photos for you guys.

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 07:59:52 AM »
UTE 701,
My fridge slide is 820mm long, that includes the latch at the front and 520 wide allowing for the heads of the bolts along the side otherwise the width is 500mm. Hope this helps.
As for the handle, our Engel is only 32 litre but the handle is still against the front of the fridge when closed so that does look like a problem. I cannot move the fridge back any further. Will see what MSA come up with.  :cheers:
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550