Author Topic: Trip Report...  (Read 10844 times)

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Trip Report...
« on: July 23, 2012, 04:56:33 PM »
Well, after 10 months of planning, the day had come for 26 cars, 41 adults and 20 kids to head off an adventure to the Cape. Regretfully MrBitchi had to pull out after his wife had broken her ankle the previous night.

Cairns had decided to show us how temperamental the weather can be and we all rolled out of the car park under cloudy skies and drizzling rain. We must have made an interesting sight with the large convoy of vehicles, headlights blazing driving up the Captain Cook Hwy. After driving along the spectacular coastal road our first stop was the Daintree Ferry. The booth collector had dollar signs in her eyes and a big smile when I told her to play a joke on members from Victoria to charge them double.

Once across the ferry we travelled the winding road through the rainforest and hit the Bloomfield track, crossing some streams and tackling the steep inclines through the rainforest we crossed the Bloomfield River and stopped for lunch to stretch the legs. Not long back on the track we came across a croc basking in the sun on the banks of the Bloomfield River. After 600 photos of the croc we continued on to the Lions Den for our 2 night stop. The Lions Den is a great place to stay with grassed camping sites and a nice river for the kids to swim in.

After getting everyone settled in, we began the drinking ritual and meeting members on the trip. The next day was spent relaxing and exploring Cooktown before we all sat down that evening and everyone was briefed on what was ahead and what to expect on our adventure.

Archer River was our next stop and some members travelled via Laura while others went the Battle camp Road and we broke up again with some travelling through Lakefield National Park.  We all arrived at Archer River and camped in a special section where we could all fit in easily. The drinking ritual that evening was well and truly under way with some members feeling the curse the next morning.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:05:33 PM by McGirr »
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Re: Trip Report...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »
The famous croc

Stopping for Lunch at Bloomfield

Camping at the Lions Den

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »
Tuesday morning….Today was the day we were all waiting for, tackling the OTL. After an easy drive we stopped at Bramwell Junction where members, aired down, fueled up and had that last ice cream. The recovery vehicles had gone ahead to prepare for the group as the first crossing was Palm Creek, now one of the hardest and toughest crossings and it was first up!! This will test some of the novices in our group.

A slow 4klm drive down the track had the group arrive at the crossing. All the photographers lined up, women and children all got out as the men would attempt the crossing. I think the women were ready to cringe as each car would slid and drop into the crossing with a large rock ready to add some modifications to what ever hits it. I was the 4th car in and after being guided down I was just about through when all of a sudden the camper got caught on the rock and I was going no where. Bugger!! Duggie had to back up to gently snatch me off the rock. Naturally no one else got caught on the rock as I pathed the way and yes I was ribbed all trip for being the only one caught up. Once free I attempted the drive up the other side but with the weight of the camper I could only get so far. Again Duggie was there and with J.K with the snatch strap would pull most vehicles up with campers.

While members were making their way down Palm Creek, I and some other members went on to the next crossing to keep things moving. (This was down most of the time so I could get everyone into the campsites and also ease any congestion on the track.)

Ducie Creek was next and I advised if any women in the group wanted to drive the OTL this crossing this would be the easiest. Chris J (Ocka driver) and I walked the crossing and worked out the best way to cross. We forgot to check the exit and once we crossed we had to turn right and the exit had a lip on it so we had to add some power to get up. I some how forgot to tell the ladies who were driving about the exit, as once they crossed nearly had a heart attack with what they saw in front of them. Next minute a call came over the UHF saying “we are all stuck” (I was killing myself laughing). The Ocka came to the rescue and pulled them out. As the group was catching up and they were advised of the exit at Ducie Creek, I headed to Dulhunty with a small number from the group to grab some campsites.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:12:29 PM by McGirr »

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:18:16 PM »
More Palm Creek

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »
Ducie Creek

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »
sorry ladies but watch that exit  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:42:48 PM by McGirr »

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »
We arrived at Dulhunty Creek in good time, and after meeting up with Tony and Sarah (14 Years Old) who were doing the OTL by themselves with Sarah driving a quad bike, I asked Sarah to do a recon with the quad bike on the campsites in the area and with her help found some sites parked members in areas where there was room. After swimming in the clear, cool water we all settled down to the normal ritual and camp fires. I was happy I could get everyone in. But knew the next camp, being canal creek, was going to be the toughest trying to get everyone in.

Our mascot "The croc"

A fantastic place to swim and drink  :cheers:

Some of the recovery team relaxing
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:02:33 PM by McGirr »

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »
The itinerary today was to tackle Gunshot and Cockatoo Creek before rejoining the development road and camping at Canal Creek. We headed off in groups with the support vehicles heading off early. After crossing Bertie Creek, being easy with headed towards Gunshot but not before tackling a washout that was not there on last years trip. We arrived in different groups at Gunshot to find an easy entry coming down a slight drop and into the water. We were ahead of schedule so we continued on again in different groups to arrive at Cockatoo crossing.

We arrived at Cockatoo Creek and there were 2 vehicles ahead of us. There was a small drop into the entry to the creek and as we watched the vehicles ahead, one bent his side step from front to back on a large rock. Time for the MySwag road building gang to do their job and after moving rocks and shoveling dirt and mud, we made the drop off a little easier and proceeded to drive down into the crossing. J.K was there in the water guiding everyone through as there were some holes we had to avoid. Once across we discovered they had built a toilet and before any one could stop the women had jumped out of the cars were queuing up. An unbelievable site with a queue for a toilet in the middle of no where.

Gunshot was very easy this year.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:03:17 PM by McGirr »

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »
Cockatoo Creek

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »
Crossing the creek

and the most popular toilet at the Cape

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:11:19 PM by McGirr »

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »

We then made a dash for the camp sites at Canal Creek. Upon arriving my biggest fears were realized as there were people camping everywhere. After walking around I told members turning up to grab what camp spots they could other wise we would miss out. (we found out that Elliot Creek was just about vacant but due to the new booking laws a lot of people never turn up or they cancel so a lot of campers took up the spots I was sweating on at Canal Creek) regretfully I could not fit everyone in on the southern side and some members had to camp in an area that was not the best.

( As we were going to be here for 2 nights a group camped in a site that was not the best and decided to head off the next day and made their way to Nolan's Creek where they found a fantastic spot and enjoyed a couple of nights swimming in the water and watching cars get stuck. )

The members who did secure a spot at Canal Creek enjoyed the fantastic swimming in clear waters and visited Twin Falls, Elliot Falls and Indian Head Falls.

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
ahh the serenity

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »
After 2 nights and growing water wings from swimming we all headed off to tackle the northern part of the OTL knowing the last crossing, Nolan’s Creek was going to be deep. Sams Creek was the first crossing which was easy; Mistake Creek had a sandy drop in a little bit of water and a bumpy exit with some members getting stuck. Cannibal Creek was next on the list and again J.K was there ready to guide us in as there was a steep drop in but an easy exit. With correct wheel placement we all proceeded to drop down into the creek until Chris in the Ocka had a wheel slip and the Ocka rolled precariously which had our hearts beating but it straightened up and made it. Poor Amy (Glen and Amy) who was driving, was next and after seeing the Ocka rock back and forth, her eyes were the size of source pans and decided to drive down and back up to get a better angle before being guided down the drop. Well done Amy!!

Cypress Creek (the log bridge) was the next crossing and was tackled easy but the sharp right hand turn had a few vehicles lift a wheel while taking the turn. Only 2 crossings to go and Lagoon Creek was next. Being a long water crossing we all stopped and after being walked by J.K we decided to put the car bras on and tackle the left hand side. After a number of vehicles crossed we found the depth of the water made it hard to get good grip and that route was getting deeper as the tires were digging into the base of the crossing. We then decided to tackle the right hand side which as the last car got through that route began to get deeper also. It was at this crossing Paul (Paul P) had got stuck and with the help of Mauri (Disco 1) had snatched him out. It was not looking good as the car would not start and as we all were heading towards the hardest crossing, Nolan’s, Symon and Mick decided one would tow the car and the other would tow the camper.

We all arrived at Nolan's where we met up with the group that had left Canal Creek. Duggie was already across the other side and ready with 30 mtres of dyna rope to pull everyone across. One by one we lined up with car bras on ready to be snatched while Rod (Rodsswag) would grab the rope and swim across and attach the D Shackle to each vehicle. Once the slack on the rope was taken up Duggie would snatch us across while each member was driving also to assist in getting across. The water was up to the bonnet and after each recovery Duggie would back up ready for the next car. This continued until we all got across.

With the other support vehicles bringing up the rear with Paul's car and camper the attempt to snatch Mick’s car and Paul's car together did not work and Paul was stuck in the middle with Mick’s car 2/3rds out. After getting both cars out some members stayed that afternoon and into the night stripping Paul's car down to try and get it going but to no avail. It was towed into Seisia the next day. Also Tim’s camper never made it as the springs gave way 40 klms from Seisia and was written off. Not to be left high and dry members pitched in and we had a tent and sleeping gear ready for them to enjoy their stay. Also members pitched in and set up Paul's camper for them before they arrived. Well done guys.

( The OTL this year was extremely tough due to the late wet season causing a number of crossings to still have excess water in them. The exits and entries on a number of crossings had changed from the previous year which is the norm for the OTL. )
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:44:03 PM by McGirr »

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »
Lagoon creek

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 06:51:54 PM »
The Log Bridge

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 06:55:38 PM »
Nolans

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 06:56:03 PM »
More

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »
As there was no more room at Nolan's to camp and I was blocking the track for other vehicles , 3 of us continued into Seisia to make sure the huts we booked were ready.
On arriving at Seisia Park the 8 huts we had booked in to, had shortened to 6 huts but after re arranging the camping arrangements we all fitted in for a relaxing 4 days.

The cocktail night was fantastic with members getting dressed up and with laser lights and mirror balls adding that extra special touch. Thanks to John (Jclures) for making the pizza bases for the pizza cook off where we raised extra money that was added to the raffles. Great support from everyone, who dug deep, raising $1230 for the RFDS. Well done to all!!

After the group photo at the Cape the next day everyone settled back to enjoy the rest of the time camping on the beachfront and exploring the area.

After a couple of days members then started their drive back while I and some members headed to Archer River to watch the 3rd State of Origin. Donned in Qld jumpers a crowd had gathered and after a great game and copious amounts of alcohol we crawled back to our camps. Queenslander  ;D

It was great trip and taking 26 cars was going to be hard but even though we could all not camp together in some places and some spots were not the best, when you are with great company any campsite will do. Thank you to everyone who came along and I trust even with the large group everyone enjoyed the trip and faces were put to names and friendships were made. Again many thanks go to the support vehicles, who with out them, I could not have taken a group this large to the Cape. Thank you to all.

A special thanks also goes to Matt (the photographer) who was in water up to his waste most of the time to get the shots. He was great company and had us in stitches with his stories. We would all get our cameras out and next minute this big lens from his camera would appear over your shoulder. Many thanks, Matt.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 07:47:06 PM »
Great report and pics Mark.  :cup:
Well done, and thanks......can we go back?

The mirror shot, and the one immediately after are interesting. Taken at the same time, from different ends of the conga line......

Cheers,
Geoff
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 08:50:20 PM »
Mark this is awesome stuff mate :cup:
I hope I can make it there one day :cheers:

John
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 08:56:07 PM »
Well done Mark, a fantastic trip.

Regards

2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
Fantastic report Mark, good work also by the support team. A true MySwag trip, I will get up there one year

GG

Offline ldsparrow

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.1yearoff.com.au
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »
Excellent report Mark, looked like a lot of fun was had by all.
Blog: www.1yearoff.com.au

Offline lov2getaway

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Windjana Gorge 2010
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 08:07:47 AM »
Loved the report and photo's. Looked like a great trip! We will have to get there one day.
Cheers
L2GA
2011 Camprite, 2011 Prado.

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »
Great report Mark. Well done to you and the support vehicles. 

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/