Author Topic: Dad shoots daughters Laptop  (Read 9348 times)

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
Re: Dad shoots daughters Laptop
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
With two teens myself, a lot of the issue is a lack of respect from from kids to parents, and in certain circumstances, parents to kids.

When mum and dad are sitting home or at the pub everyday, cant get there s&*t in order, how are they able to instill respect in their kids when they may not have it for themselves.
English/primary language, Maths and Social responsibilities (relationships, respect, right and wrong) should be the 3 subjects you cant duck at school.

Personally, Dad's motivation and reasoning is fair, his method leaves a bit to be desired. I mean seriously, you're in IT and you cant figure out how to limit your kids Facebook access?

Dont worry though, the apple never falls far from the tree.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:10:29 AM by Jon »
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 09:33:38 PM »
Hormone affects can be very difficult to control.

Yes, thank goodness it is the USA. You almost expect it these days.

What are your chances when your old man is like that. Some can climb over the problems, others are not so lucky or balanced.

Yes, respect people until you feel that individual doesn't deserve respect. Then think again as there could be extenuating circumstances.
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 03:24:46 AM »
So how did he do it? Didn't see any glitches.

Ed: He says he is using a 45 with hollow points. Not once did the laptop move when hit with a 'bullet'.
I know nix about guns, but I would expect to see some movement from the cover or underneath the laptop. No dirt or dust seen. No concaving of the lid or splitting (melts the cover as it goes through?).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:12:19 AM by Estelle »
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline eldo

• Tent User
  • Wollongong
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 06:20:28 AM »
as a father of a 15 year and 16 year old daughter i totally agree with this guy, i wish i had a gun and could offload a few rounds in my back yard into their iphones and anything to do with facebook in general..... im only quite young myself as a father at 34 years old.. i can understand the youth better than a father in their 40's however kids today are morons and expect everything for nothing, i moved out at 16 and finished my hsc so i know how hard it is to be a kid and really that wasnt that long ago for me. mark my words here, facebook is ruining our society

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 06:39:25 AM »
My point of view is the question of how long the kids spend on Facebook/ SMS/ TV/learing crap . The tree hugging do gooders  fill their sweet little heads with you have rights & cant be stood over by antbody . So it becomes Me ME  M E ! Team work sharing are no in the lexicon . The " You can't make me do this "  chant wares a bit thin after 3 or 12 months . Explaining or trying to that things will go smoother if we all chip in & do a bit makes the world go better . Personal pride in being part of a team etc .
If your youngens are becoming Teeeeeenagers , buckle up ,tuffen up  & brace yourself you ain't seen nothing yet  ;D ;D ;D ;D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
Dad shoots daughters Laptop
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 07:45:34 AM »
Pathetic parenting by the father. Should never have got to that stage. He has cracked because of her public display of disrespect. She definetly needs tobe dealt with but to then go and record a video, shoot the computer and post the video isn't dealing with his daughter and the problem.

He's just taking it further than is needed. Not exactly the sort of person who should be allowed to own a gun

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:34 AM »
He's just taking it further than is needed. Not exactly the sort of person who should be allowed to own a gun

Dam right, do what we do with guns in Oz, take 'em off the good guys and give to the bad guys

Offline jaycamrie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »
facebook is ruining our society
It all started with Mobile phones

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 08:36:36 AM »
im only quite young myself as a father at 34 years old.. i can understand the youth better than a father in their 40's

Sweet mercy I am screwed.

45 and a 2 year old    8)
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »
as a father of a 15 year and 16 year old daughter i totally agree with this guy, i wish i had a gun and could offload a few rounds in my back yard into their iphones and anything to do with facebook in general..... im only quite young myself as a father at 34 years old.. i can understand the youth better than a father in their 40's however kids today are morons and expect everything for nothing, i moved out at 16 and finished my hsc so i know how hard it is to be a kid and really that wasnt that long ago for me. mark my words here, facebook is ruining our society

im only quite young myself as a father at 34 years old.. i can understand the youth better than a father in their 40's

really?
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline carinya

• Tent User
  • Nothing $30 million wouldn't fix
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 09:36:19 AM »
I wonder if there is more to this than we just heard?

But I do see this in a few youg uns I know.

The day I turned 8, I got a watch.

I also got jobs including feeding a menagerie of animals, making my bed, making my lunch, after getting myself breakfast, and getting organised on time to catch the 7.15 bus to get to school on time. 

Thought I had it pretty sweet, as there were kids with more to do than I did.

Not sure if firearms are the way to get into a kids' head or not.
MK Triton Dual Cab.
Cheap gal trailer with some stuff added.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 09:40:04 AM »
The point is, that message was for here friends so of course it was full of bravado This doesn't mean she doesn't respect he parents or the house cleaner, it's kids being kids, all tough and full of it. All it means is her Ma  Pa don't trust her and had to hack into her laptop to find out things about their daughter. Personally I asked my kids what's going on rather than getting all gun ho and "hacking" my 10 years olds face book page. Do you not all think that when our kids are all together with their friends they don't talk about us anyway..She was dumb to have written it down but your all going to have to decide where the line is. I'm happy to let my son decide what we see and don't on his face book page, he is friends with us anyway but this is the world we live in with electronic media, better get used to it.

So all that has happened here is a there is now no trust with in that familiy. well done to the Dad. Real tough with his gun.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »
I agree that tough love can be necessary at times, not sure if perhaps he went a tad too far, but hard to judge either way on a single video.

But, the use of the gun needs to be put into perspective. I recently lived in Florida for 6 months and EVERY person at work (at the manufacturing plant) carried a handgun in their glovebox. My wife went to morning tea with the neigbours and the subject of guns came up, 3/4's of the women had a gun in their purse at the table!!! It was so alien to us, but normal to them. Even my son could have walked into Walmart and purchased a 22 straight off the shelf. He was into Nerf guns (the foam dart type) but wouldn't get them out in the street at home to play with because his schoolmates all had 22's in their rooms.

Point being, shooting a laptop in the USA would be the equivalent of us putting an axe thru it in AUS, no-one would think the axe was the issue and I think there is no intent by the Dad that the gun was anything other than a tool to destroy the laptop.

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline eldo

• Tent User
  • Wollongong
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »

really?
yes steve i think i do, my point being that i grew up in the shadow of GEN X and i am gen x myself but i was at the end of it so i can relate to the gen Y peoples, i had mobile phones at 18 and laptops and computers, brand name clothes etc so i know what those pressures are like, i also knew self respect and respecting others of which this younger generation does not, i should of explained my point better

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »

But, the use of the gun needs to be put into perspective. I recently lived in Florida for 6 months and EVERY person at work (at the manufacturing plant) carried a handgun in their glovebox.

Hey Cap'n, reminds me of a thread on an aussie woodworking forum where the post started with something like "I heard a vehicle pull up down the drive and I couldnt decide whether to take me 45 magnum or glock model 18 when I went to see who it was"

Strange world.   ;D
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2012, 02:14:56 PM »
As a 35 year old father of a 2 & 5 year old, but more to the point of this thread the stepfather of a 15 year old girl.  I see what could have driven this father to the point of offloading a clip into his daughters laptop, many a times I've had the temptation to put her Iphone in a vice or send the laptop for a short flight off the roof!
Never had to though and never want too, no matter how bad those 'teenage moments' get.  Because as another poster said respect has to work both ways.  I think we sometimes forget what it's like at that age, that 14-17 age is the most difficult in your life.

As bad as our 15 year old can be, I think shes a fantastic kid, from the day her two younger sisters were born she has helped with bathing them, changing nappies, putting them to bed, mostly without having to be asked.   Now she's mature enough for baby sitting, we have no dramas these days going out for an evening and leaving her in charge of both kids, one of whom is anaphylactic.

I do feel for her generation.  While some may say it's warranted, they are without a doubt the most criticised generation ever and it must be hard to constantly have negative things leveled against you and your friends.

Whether people like it or not these kids will be tomorrows boss's, political leaders and most importantly deciding the living conditions in aged care facilities!

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2012, 06:23:13 PM »
If they live that long  >:D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2012, 06:30:10 PM »

This is exactly why kids these days have such a bad reputation:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/local/qld/a/-/local/12878610/600-teens-crash-gold-coast-party/

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Robertsons

• Swag User
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »
I believe the fuunny thing here, its AMERICA, not Australia.  If it was Australia, it would be a .243.  I am not defending the guy, but, it was a laugh. 
Some young people I deal with on a daily basis believe they have earnt the right to have anything they want, when ever they want, without having earnt such a right.  Yes the hormones are running every where at 15, but, is that an excuse to have bad manners, not doing chores at home or treating people badly. NO.  These days we seem to make excuses for kids, because of their age.  What happened to minding your P's & Q's. Kids need to have respect for people in general.  I now step down off the soap box and await any comment.
Agree with you. Look at the damage kids this age cause on the news every night because of their actions be it verbal or physical.
Always planning our next trip before the current one is over;-)