Author Topic: Kimberley Kamper chassis - sandblasting?  (Read 4363 times)

Offline bigred

• Tent User
Kimberley Kamper chassis - sandblasting?
« on: August 28, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
Hi All,

We are going to buy a 2nd hand Kimberley Kamper 04 that has seen a fair bit of work on dirt tracks. The underbody looks pretty tired.

Two Questions

1. Is it worth giving it a sand blast and lick of paint on the chassis or is it not worth the effort? If so any idea on costs?
2. Can you retro fit a tropical roof to 04 KK's? Price? worthwhile?

Regards

Bigred

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:39:01 PM by bigred »
120 prado KK Limited Ed

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
Re: Kimberley Kamper chassis - sandblasting?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »
we have retrofitted a tropical roof to our camper - we call it a tarp that sits a few inches higher than the roof and is a few foot larger in all directions - works a treat - keeps the heat off is 100% waterproof and keeps the tent dry for packup - cost 20 bucks as well. for my money thats better than a tropical roof.  :)

on the sandblasting - id love to hear about the costs of that as well
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline bigred

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
yeah good call with the tarp.
120 prado KK Limited Ed

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 03:49:20 PM »
Isnt the chassie gal?
Living the Dream.

UIZ733

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
we have retrofitted a tropical roof to our camper - we call it a tarp that sits a few inches higher than the roof and is a few foot larger in all directions - works a treat - keeps the heat off is 100% waterproof and keeps the tent dry for packup - cost 20 bucks as well. for my money thats better than a tropical roof.  :)

on the sandblasting - id love to hear about the costs of that as well
Do you rest the tarp on the existing canvas or do you have a "gap"?
Regards P

Offline bigred

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
Darren - yep it would be - so are you suggesting that sandbasting not a good option?? I'm not real knowledgable on the topic - under the CT has taken a pounding - I'm just trying to get my head around some options to improve it - that's if it is necessary.
120 prado KK Limited Ed

Offline allanjennison

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
The chassis is galvanised and while it may look "tired" it will still provide effective protection against corrosion. Sandblasting may reduce this effectiveness and painting will provide little additional value apart from cosmetic aspects.
Mine is 10 years old with a lot of outback work and shows no evidence of corrosion.

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »
The chassis is I believe is full gal on a KK, not gal dipped,  so it would be fine, just ring KK with the model no serial no and theyshould be able to confirm this and give you assistance on what you should be looking for, it seems you will be seeing surface scuffing and scratches...sandblasting would be a waste.
But you have mentioned that the camper has done some hard work...so, put the emotions aside, check the camper out throughly and if you have some doubts...get a lower price or walk.  

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »
How bout some pic's, it might help.
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »
Also, the way they are made you cant seperate the body from the chassie very easily, and the interior tub is plastic so sanblasting as is cant be done. If you genuinly have concerns then keep walking. A severly hammered underside might just be the first signs of failures to come due to a hard life.
Living the Dream.

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 09:55:41 PM »
Do you rest the tarp on the existing canvas or do you have a "gap"?
Regards P

need a gap to keep the heat off - a tent pole at the apex of the ct tent on the front of the camper - lifting it about 1-2 feet does the trick
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 11:16:04 AM »
Hi mate

I bought a 2005 KK that is in great condition, but has also been used off road a fair portion of its life. The Gal used in the KK appears to me to be of good quality. Mine also has some stone chipping on the draw bar and elsewhere. To me this was acceptable and to be expected from a product such as this. It is just an indication of fair use. Mine does not appear to have been abused or knocked around.

The Gal on all trailers will discolour when exposed to the red soils of the outback. This does detract from them looking like a brand new one, but it is not a reflection of the quality of the Gal or the structure and condition of the trailer. The canvas can also be stained around the bottom from the same minerals in the soil.

I have considered dropping the suspension out of mine and getting the tub (not chassis) sprayed proffessionally with a light coat of stone guard to add an initial layer of protection to the tub from stone damage.

Mine has the tropical roof fitted and I think is does help reduce the inside temperature, and their may also be less condensation. It appears to condensate less than the Trak Shak I had prior without the second layer over the roof.

KK will tell you if a tropical roof can be fitted, all you will need is the chassis number.

Regards

Jas

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »
You can't retrofit a tropical roof to an earlier model( pre 05 I believe )... but its not a major worry..

Even though I have one, a lot of the time its not really needed.....in summer-- I try to get shade off trees ( while at the same time avoiding being right under them. )... andin cold weather its not going to make it any warmer...

2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra