Author Topic: Drifta kitchen. What stove do you use?  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Shager

• Swag User
  • Hi
Drifta kitchen. What stove do you use?
« on: August 28, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »
Have recently put on the swing out kitchen and my stove does not fit due to having the griller on it, this makes it sit to high so I am unable to pack up with stove.
So I was after what you other drifter use's use
life is a gift best lived boldly

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Drifta kitchen. What stove do you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »
G'day mate........... I used one of these Primus units recently....... really liked the stainless steel insert under the burners..heaps easier to clean....... i find a two burner is plenty....... the case felt stronger than other units, some of them feel really tinny, this one just felt like it's madefrom heavier gear....... just my thoughts though.
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline GeeQue

• Swag User
  • Only God can judge me
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:37:50 PM »
G'day mate........... I used one of these Primus units recently....... really liked the stainless steel insert under the burners..heaps easier to clean....... i find a two burner is plenty....... the case felt stronger than other units, some of them feel really tinny, this one just felt like it's madefrom heavier gear....... just my thoughts though.

Looks like the same HP one I'm using for my Drifta.  I wouldn't recommend it (if it is the same) as you can't get the hose long enough to reach back to the trailer (Trackabout).

I'd be looking for something LP so you can get a longer gas line made up and leave the cylinder on the trailer.  Primus do one and Companion, like Luke from Drifta promotes fit nicely and are LP.  Like you said, Lido Jnr (guessing that's what you have or similar) would be sweet, but sits too high when closed for the DSO.

:cheers:
GeeQue
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 03:33:13 PM by GeeQue »

I thought it through and my worst brings out the best in you.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »
This was the dilema I faced when I changed to the Drifta kitchen. I bought one of those red Primus stoves, because it has the highest BTU rating of any of the portables, as well as a two burner cast iron hob. The issue with the Primus stove was not that the hose doesn't reach the trailer, it doesn't even reach the ground, so meant that the gas bottle has to put on a box. I had spent a week trying to get a longer hose, only to have it explained to me that HP stoves cannot be more than 1m (~1.2m?). Bugger. I had already sold my old LP stove to Lost.

The cast iron burner was excellent, but the legs were too long and so did not allow the lid of the Drifta kitchen to close properly. I mucked around and considered how to make shorter legs, bought some steel and said "stuff it, I already have a two burner Jackeroo stove" which I've been using and it works a treat. I reckon with some work one could make a box to hold the cast iron burners nicely, lined with heat reflecting material to protect the wooden kitchen. They're so inexpensive and reliable.

There are few options when it come to LP stoves, and they're all expensive.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline GeeQue

• Swag User
  • Only God can judge me
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »
This was the dilema I faced when I changed to the Drifta kitchen. I bought one of those red Primus stoves, because it has the highest BTU rating of any of the portables, as well as a two burner cast iron hob. The issue with the Primus stove was not that the hose doesn't reach the trailer, it doesn't even reach the ground, so meant that the gas bottle has to put on a box. I had spent a week trying to get a longer hose, only to have it explained to me that HP stoves cannot be more than 1m (~1.2m?). Bugger. I had already sold my old LP stove to Lost.

The cast iron burner was excellent, but the legs were too long and so did not allow the lid of the Drifta kitchen to close properly. I mucked around and considered how to make shorter legs, bought some steel and said "stuff it, I already have a two burner Jackeroo stove" which I've been using and it works a treat. I reckon with some work one could make a box to hold the cast iron burners nicely, lined with heat reflecting material to protect the wooden kitchen. They're so inexpensive and reliable.

There are few options when it come to LP stoves, and they're all expensive.

It's so funny.  I'm reading your post and find myself nodding in agreement.  So much so that I have really never used our high BTU primus in the stove area of the Drifta.  Again agreeing with the cast iron option, which I use as an alternative in that location.  I also went to all the outlets mentioned in other threads for hoses (Enzed, hyrdalink, pirtek etc) and got the same head shake. Hmm, cast iron burner box...

GeeQue

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »
We use this Coleman with our drifta.
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-store/products/Coleman-2-Burner-Instastart-LPG-Stove-Model-5469-751XA.aspx?pid=129872#Description
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:28 PM »
What is the heat output like with the LP stoves when it comes to cooking or boiling water. Is it a noticable difference to a HP one.

crackacoldie

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 08:26:05 PM »
Cheapy from Big W, has worked fr yars before the camper and still goes strong, 2 burner with a cast iron barbie plat that sits ontop.

:cheers: Cracka

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 10:54:24 PM »
Righto......... can someone explain to me the difference between HP and LP stoves......i've heard this mentioned before but have never really understood the differance...... i thought all gas stoves were the same......... is the gas supply to the stove pressure regulated?
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 11:06:52 PM »
Can you store the stove elsewhere while travelling.. seems a waste to buy another for no reason.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeeQue

• Swag User
  • Only God can judge me
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »
Righto......... can someone explain to me the difference between HP and LP stoves......i've heard this mentioned before but have never really understood the differance...... i thought all gas stoves were the same......... is the gas supply to the stove pressure regulated?

Have a little read of Luke's version of the story.

http://www.drifta.com.au/settFAQ.php#gas

GeeQue
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:10:39 PM by GeeQue »

Offline SKEMPIE

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »
Just going through the same with our trackabout/ drifter combo. After several phone calls and the usual hose mobs enzed/ pirtek to no avail. i have decided to keep the hp primus as it works a treat and pickup a 1.2 m hose so i can put the bottle on the ground. More favourable than sitting on the drifta shelf i think & less likely to fall over.

Offline Shager

• Swag User
  • Hi
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I must say I like the 3 burner primus unit and the distance the hose at the moment will need to be 1.500mm, but may be able to shorten that by getting copper pipe made up to come out the bottom side of the kitchen. Will be looking in to that.
life is a gift best lived boldly

Offline jeeps

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • The Aussie Storm Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 02:50:24 PM »
We use a Coleman Dual fuel 414 as there are no hoses or gas bottles to worry about:

But lately we have been using a low pressure stove because the wife doesn't like petrol:

but you have to deal with gas bottles, hoses and all that stuff... ;)

cheers
www.aussiestormshop.com.au | www.aussieberkeyshop.com.au
Offroad Camper Trailer with an Austrack top & Drifta kitchen, mostly assembled by me :)

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »
I bought a Lido Junior M today for my homemade ply kitchen.  Not cheap, but I've heard they're very good.  I think they sit about 170 high.

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 09:47:16 PM »
  :D Hi All, we started with a jackaroo (I think) HP, with modified hose ::) to a dual tap arrangement for stove/hot water.  Interestingly if you don't turn off the bottle and empty the lines, the gas can, (and did),  :-[ liquify in the lines giving forth an interesting time.  Thus after regrowing my eyebrows we had a LP dometic installed

It works better than a candle but not as good as the jackaroo, but with auto gas safety cut out and an inbuilt lighter is better on the hair.  It wasn't the cheapest at around I think $700 for setup (inc gas cert).  At the time there were dearer units with better BTU's but at greater cost, like around $200-$300 more.  It works ok, just boiling the kettle etc. takes a tad longer.  I did the mounting box, they only did the plumbing.  The choice gets more limited when you look for one to fit the depth, the 3 burners looked to be too deep for the return to slide in to travel.
 :cheers: Paul
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline GeeQue

• Swag User
  • Only God can judge me
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 09:52:33 PM »
I bought a Lido Junior M today for my homemade ply kitchen.  Not cheap, but I've heard they're very good.  I think they sit about 170 high.

Yeah as stated, the Lido Jnr is a little too high for the standard Drifta kitchen.  Some ask Luke to set the shelf a little lower during the build if they want to use a specific stove etc. 

You heard correct, they do have a good reputation!    ;D

GeeQue

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »
We have a Lido Junior with a Drifta DSO kitchen. I asked Luke to lower the shelf the stove sits on. He supplied the stove and gas bottles and my CT manufacturer fitted the whole kit before I took delivery. Works a treat. Three years one we are very happy with the kitchen & stove.

Mal