Author Topic: sydney public transport question......  (Read 6486 times)

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
sydney public transport question......
« on: August 26, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »
Gday,
As much as I hate to admit it I have to go to Sydney tommorrow >:(.Fly in at 1030 am and have to get across to Birkenhead point (drummoyne) as fast as I can.

My thought was to train it to central than cab or bus to Drummoyne.

If any city dwellers can advise if im on the right track (ha) ;D I would love to hear it.

Cheers
Pete
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:27:30 PM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
Re: sydney public transport question......
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:27:45 PM »
Cab, tell em' you're in a hurry. Mascot to Drummoyne is 20 minutes at that time.

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »
Maybe another Swagger will be in the area and you could thumb a ride  ;D
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
Thanks guys.

Cheers redback very helpfull.

Rich id be happy to ride "mexican style"under a camper but the other half may object.........

Cab, tell em' you're in a hurry. Mascot to Drummoyne is 20 minutes at that time. yeah dan I think that may be it.Might save mucking around with trains and busses.

cheers.

any other suggestion welcome though ;D
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »
Another vote for taxi - the train fair from Domestic to the city was nearly $15 last time I used it a few years ago and that's nearly half a taxi fare direct from the airport to Drummoyne.

I lived in the Inner West for a bit - Balmain, Annandale, Drummoyne, Leichhardt, Rodd Point. I found it was almost always best to use taxis to/from the airport as long as you are not travelling in peak times.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:17:54 PM by Squalo »
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »
Another vote for taxi - the train fair from Domestic to the city was nearly $15 last time I used it a few years ago and that's nearly half a taxi fare direct from the airport to Drummoyne.
Its more than that now sqalo as you have to pay MBT (macquarie bank tax!).

Its $38.60 each for a train and bus pass
or
$23 each for train only....

2 x rough estimates from cab companies are around $50 to $55. I think that will do me.Given I used the frequent flyers to get there!

thanks mate

Camel bushman....

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 02:25:18 PM »
You could smoke some crack and fly?

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 02:31:11 PM »

or

2 x rough estimates from cab companies are around $50 to $55. I think that will do me.Given I used the frequent flyers to get there!

thanks mate

Holy crap, that is insane. I looked it up myself, Central to Campbelltown is $8.20 for off-peak return, distance of 45.9km one way... the airport is just 6.7km from Central.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »
Cab, tell em' you're in a hurry. Mascot to Drummoyne is 20 minutes at that time.

20min from the airport to Drummoyne on a Saturday morning? Tell him he's dreaming!!!

Saturday's are just as bad as weekdays in Sydney now. I drive from the Eastern Suburbs to the Western Suburbs everyday and even I avoid the major roads on Saturday.

The only way to do that trip in 20min is at about 3am.

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »
20min from the airport to Drummoyne on a Saturday morning? Tell him he's dreaming!!!

Saturday's are just as bad as weekdays in Sydney now. I drive from the Eastern Suburbs to the Western Suburbs everyday and even I avoid the major roads on Saturday.

Your probly right but it still looks easier than the alternative...

Camel bushman....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
Quote from: TheOtherLeft
theres no way I'd trust a taxi driver in Shitney to be doin' those speeds to do a 20min trip from Mascot to Drummoyne any time of the day...
but havent driven that part of town in 15yrs or so now since givin up truck drivin. I cant see anyway apart from banning cars to be that clear anytime of the day on those roads.

Hey Muz were you on the VFR on the 20min trip.. ;)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 03:47:17 PM »
If you can get to Town Hall station, you have this option.

http://www.131500.com.au/plan-your-trip/trip-planner?itd_name_origin=Town+Hall&itd_name_destination=Birkenhead+point&itd_itdDate=20110826&itd_itdTripDateTimeDepArr=dep&itd_itdTimeHour=01&itd_itdTimeMinute=25&itd_itdTimeAMPM=pm&itd_anyObjFilter_origin=0&itd_anyObjFilter_destination=0&submit.x=46&submit.y=23

Bus Stop is in York St, outside the Queen Victoria Building.

Baz.

The bus stop for the 500 series buses is actually in Druitt St (cnr Kent St), just round the corner & down the road from York St

or

thanks mate

Do the taxi quotes include the cross city tunnel tolls? - these aren't cheap but will make your trip a lot quicker than actually going through the city. Heading from the airport you will actually have the Eastern Distributor toll, then the cross city tunnel toll. Heading back to the airport, it will only be the cross city tunnel toll
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »
The bus stop for the 500 series buses is actually in Druitt St (cnr Kent St), just round the corner & down the road from York St

Do the taxi quotes include the cross city tunnel tolls? - these aren't cheap but will make your trip a lot quicker than actually going through the city. Heading from the airport you will actually have the Eastern Distributor toll, then the cross city tunnel toll. Heading back to the airport, it will only be the cross city tunnel toll

Cheers pete, when you say not cheap?? Do they give you a choice or is the toll the only way? I used to live down there years ago but I cant be arsed with driving it now....
thanks
for the reply

Camel bushman....

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »
Cross city tunnel is about $5 each way whilst Eastern Distributor is slightly more but like I said, you only need this one way. You can tell the taxi driver that you don't want to use any toll roads but it is usually quicker to use them.
The only thing that may put a spanner in the works for a fast trip is traffic along Victoria Rd to Birkenhead Point & sometimes along Southern Cross drive from the airport
cheers
Pete

2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 04:17:46 PM »
Cross city tunnel is about $5 each way whilst Eastern Distributor is slightly more but like I said, you only need this one way. You can tell the taxi driver that you don't want to use any toll roads but it is usually quicker to use them.
The only thing that may put a spanner in the works for a fast trip is traffic along Victoria Rd to Birkenhead Point & sometimes along Southern Cross drive from the airport

Thanks, good info.

Camel bushman....

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 04:23:29 PM »
Good luck & welcome back to Sydney for the day  ;D
cheers
Pete

Offline ap

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »
As Pete R said $50 - $55 would be about right for the taxi fare, if you go through via O'Riorden Street through Redfern and then on Abercrombie Street to the Anzac bridge at the Fish Markets.  This avoids the tolls and is the way I always go.  At that time of day it should be about the same time.  Saturdays in Sydney can be a lottery with one way been as bad as another for traffic.

It should take you about 30 minutes but I would allow 40.  I can do Gladesville, which is the next suburb out on Victoria Road across the river, to the airport in just over 20 minutes, but only when heading for the 6am flight, which is a very regular occurrence at the moment and is what I have to look forward to on Monday!

Cheapest way is train and bus.  If everything went like clockwork this could only be about 45 minutes but you would need to allow at least an hour taking into account waiting for connections etc.  The train is $15 single, but I think they do a day return which is a little less than two singles at $15 each.

If you are really in a hurry and don't want to run the risk of having to wait for a cab at the airport try www.towncars.com who do a fixed price quote for that trip of $56 including everything except credit card surcharge and will be waiting for you when you walk out of the terminal.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 04:29:05 PM »
Its not in a taxi drivers interest to "go fast"..... ;)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 04:37:30 PM »
As Pete R said $50 - $55 would be about right for the taxi fare, if you go through via O'Riorden Street through Redfern and then on Abercrombie Street to the Anzac bridge at the Fish Markets.  This avoids the tolls and is the way I always go.  At that time of day it should be about the same time.  Saturdays in Sydney can be a lottery with one way been as bad as another for traffic.

It should take you about 30 minutes but I would allow 40.  I can do Gladesville, which is the next suburb out on Victoria Road across the river, to the airport in just over 20 minutes, but only when heading for the 6am flight, which is a very regular occurrence at the moment and is what I have to look forward to on Monday!

Cheapest way is train and bus.  If everything went like clockwork this could only be about 45 minutes but you would need to allow at least an hour taking into account waiting for connections etc.  The train is $15 single, but I think they do a day return which is a little less than two singles at $15 each.

If you are really in a hurry and don't want to run the risk of having to wait for a cab at the airport try www.towncars.com who do a fixed price quote for that trip of $56 including everything except credit card surcharge and will be waiting for you when you walk out of the terminal.
that great info Towncars looks good if your ontime!
Che    ers

Camel bushman....

Offline ap

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 04:41:36 PM »
They keep track of your flight from a waiting area at the airport that has a board with all the flight info on.  When you get off the plane they will have left a message telling you where they are. 

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 04:43:54 PM »
AP,
Seeing you are in the same suburb as me, will have to arrange to catch up one day for a drink at the Bayview  :D
cheers
Pete

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 05:48:44 PM »

You know your right, senoirs moment and after having worked at Ryde Depot as well as working for Sydney Buses for 20yrs, I think I'll give myself 5 upper cuts :angel:

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 09:44:53 PM »
You know your right, senoirs moment and after having worked at Ryde Depot as well as working for Sydney Buses for 20yrs, I think I'll give myself 5 upper cuts :angel:

Baz.

I catch a 500 series bus along Victoria Rd 5 days a week so currently have 1st hand experience but otherwise I wouldn't have known that as they seem to change where the stops are located every couple of years
cheers
Pete

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »
Why are you going to Drummoyne - the 4WD show is at Eastern Creek!!!  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:53:32 PM by Lcandlc »
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn