Author Topic: Portable Stoves  (Read 4899 times)

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
Portable Stoves
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:44:57 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a Lido portable stove/grill.  I also have a Coleman Hot Water on Demand, that has a POL connection.

Anyone able to recommend an alternative to the Lido, that might be cheaper or easier to find a supplier for? 

It will be going in a camper canopy, so needs to be fairly tough.

I wondering whether the old school cast iron ring burners might be an option (though without a grill)?

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Portable Stoves
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
Lido Jnr should be available anywhere.. also have a look how close the 2 burners are... if you wanna cook up somethings they can be too close.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »
Thanks - any alternatives you'd recommend?  Preferably LPG, as i need it for the HWS anyway.

This might sound silly, but what about a Weber Baby Q?

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »
We currently use a coleman Even temp 3 burner stove. We really like it, you can use it as a stove or you can put the plate on and use it as a BBQ - great for making pancakes, you can have 3 good sized ones going at a time. It costs around $200 depending on who you get it from and is available almost anywhere.
It is fairly large, and seems quite sturdy. Is handy for being able to have a large frying pan going and still plenty of room to put on a large pot.

I think it goes through a fair amount of gas though. On the weekend we were using the small coleman bottles because after lending it to my mother the gas line attachment has a blockage. (Husband has sworn off lending his prized possesions out) And for the two days we were there we went through two of the bottles.

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:04:31 PM »
We currently use a coleman Even temp 3 burner stove. We really like it, you can use it as a stove or you can put the plate on and use it as a BBQ - great for making pancakes, you can have 3 good sized ones going at a time. It costs around $200 depending on who you get it from and is available almost anywhere.
It is fairly large, and seems quite sturdy. Is handy for being able to have a large frying pan going and still plenty of room to put on a large pot.

I think it goes through a fair amount of gas though. On the weekend we were using the small coleman bottles because after lending it to my mother the gas line attachment has a blockage. (Husband has sworn off lending his prized possesions out) And for the two days we were there we went through two of the bottles.

x 2 on the Coleman even temp.

The small carteridges never last long. One 4.5 kg bottle lasted me three weeks cooking most nights and making morning coffee etc for a group of 20 people.
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 12:53:27 PM »
We have a Webber Q 220 and love it but still need the Lido for anything that needs boiling / stewing :D

yogi

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »
Whats your budget first?
THere are several threads on 'cooktops'.

I just had this setup made. You can get a grill for the oven too. I didnt bother.

FWIW, the Weber Q has a good reputation.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bobcar

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Woops!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 04:22:42 PM »
had a lido on last camper, was not totaly happy as flame was too far from pots etc,

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »
Anything wrong with the old cast-iron jobs?

http://downundercamping.com.au/product.php?productid=19633&cat=0&page=2

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:11:14 PM »
Only thing wrong I found with the cast iron jigger was it was either on or off, no way to adjust the flame inbetween.

Now have a Lido and as Bobcar said, flame a tad far away so cut a tad off the pot support till I got it right.

Offline whitey

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »
Gidday Lost what brand is your 4 burner, looks plenty of room for various pots n pans.

Cheers Whitey

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »
This might sound silly, but what about a Weber Baby Q?
Pure luxury. The in-laws have a Baby Q that they bring with them - it's currently the only stove/cooking thing they've got in their camper. It takes up a bit of space, but works brilliantly. They've got the solid plate that goes on top - you can do bacon and eggs, pancakes, whatever you want on it. If you've got the space, you'll have a lot of friends.

I'd throw in one of the $15 cartridge stoves as well, just so you've got something easy to boil the billy on.

Ourselves, we've got a 2-burner Smev stove in ours, and I have no problem with it. It works well, heats things up quick, and seems to have enough power for us.

Good luck!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline whitey

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 09:07:52 PM »
Its ok found out what it is on the other links.cheers