Author Topic: Challenge Outback or Tambo Marlo?  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
Challenge Outback or Tambo Marlo?
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:45:40 PM »
I am looking at a CT in the $15k - $18k range. I have had a look at the Challenge Outback and was really impressed, but I have also seen the Marlo on Tambo's website and thought this liked like a great setup as well.

Is anyone able to offer advice or opinion on which one you would choose for a young family of four looking for a reliable unit to go off road and explore the country?

Cheers, Paul
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Challenge Outback or Tambo Marlo?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:21:41 AM »
I would just but the Tambo cooper and max it out will all the options, they are a great piece of kit and strong as anything. The only bad side is they are fully booked out to mid 2012, that just goes to show how good they are, But there are a couple available on the trading post in good nick.
Cheers,
Richard.
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline Lex

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:00:51 AM »
I can't speak for the Challenge but as a Tambo owner I would recommend them. I have a Cooper XT and love it.
Up the Rabbitohs

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 08:09:30 AM »
Hi Paul

Challenge are a very good CT and are also made locally if you require any after sales service or support.

My father in law services and repairs their sewing equipment and highly recommends them :cup:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:24:45 AM »
Hi Mate

I have no specific advice about the type of challenge camper you are after. All I can offer is that if the camper you are looking at is supplied by challenge campers in Rydalmere NSW, which is the same company that supplies (The now Chinese) Track Shaks and Campo-matics, steer well clear and go to another manufacturer.

The company is run by a people who wont tell you the truth, have major supply issues, after sales service is hopeless and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Also what you see on their show/display models is not what you get delivered.

I bought a brand new Track Shak from them Last year. It was so bad that they took it back and paid me my money back to go away. It is a shame because they have some of the best designs on the market, but the company appears hell bent on substituting quality parts for cheap crap to increase their profit margins.

Go with another brand that has a solid reputation (not living off one developed by others previously) for quality and after sales service. Also when you need spares you will have to wait for them to come in from China.

Regards

Jas

crackacoldie

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:02:18 AM »
Mate, you cannot go past challenge.  Well built locally with great after sales support!

:cheers: Cracka

Offline gadgetman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I wanna be a kid again.....
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:46:20 AM »
We had a Challenge Meridian for two years and it was great.  We never took it off road which is why we sold it.  Our mechanic commented on how solid the welds were and overall quality.  It sat behind our Paj really well and most times you wouldn't even know it was there.  It also had a good spread of tie down points as we would sometimes put kayaks on top.  If i bought another one, I'd get the one with the steps into the bed.  We also had 2A and 2C.
Rob

2004 NP Pajero DiD,
2011 Swan Outback

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 11:37:14 AM »
Challenge Camper Trailers are made right here in SA and have a new display centre on Marion Rd, Plympton Pk. 

Personally I would buy local.

I know a few people with Challengers and none have had any issues at all.

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
Challenge Camper Trailers are made right here in SA and have a new display centre on Marion Rd, Plympton Pk. 

Personally I would buy local.

I know a few people with Challengers and none have had any issues at all.

That's great news as I said I don't have personal experience with the Challenge Brand. Glad to here it is a great product.

I definitely wouldn't use their Sydney agent that also sell's Trak Shak's and Campo-matics. In addition to my personal experience with them I am aware that their are plenty of others that have recentlypulled the pin and bought something else because of their service, and inability to supply after taking possession of the money.

I am sure if buy from a reputable dealer you will be fine.

Regards

Jas

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 04:26:08 PM »
I checked out the Tambo, when I was tyre kicking at a local camping show...built like a brick out house, quality Australian materials used and bloody reasonably priced for what you get.

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 04:30:47 PM »
I checked out the Tambo, when I was tyre kicking at a local camping show...built like a brick out house, quality Australian materials used and bloody reasonably priced for what you get.

X2 :) Come on all you Tambo people there are quite a few of us on here :cup:
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline making tracks

• Tent User
  • Whats around the corner
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 05:36:32 PM »
A Tambo Omeo owner and looked at both.They are tanks with the best canvas on top,The $ sign was just a final nail in the coffin so to speak.Product and service of the highest order. :cup:

Offline 95cruza

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »
Hi Paul,

We had a Challenge Offroad - well built and we took it offroad no problems (Dalhousie & Innaminka) plus other places - initially we had a problem with the tent leaking and wouldn't stop - they replaced the whole tent pack and no problems ( had it for over 5 years) - the service was good - only just sold it to upgrade as only 2 of us.  I would recommend - can't comment on Tambo - but as mentioned Challenge are in Adelaide and all made locally.

cheers

Phil
Cheers Phil & Wendy
2013 Hilux D/C & 2013 Ultimate XTRK
Have fun, your here for a good time not a long time.

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 08:51:36 PM »
After owning a Tambo Cooper for 6 yrs now, I can safetly say I would feel safe to tow it anywhere in Australia. And ours has covered a fair bit of Australia now and nothing on the trailer has broken.
Carnt comment on any other trailers as this Tambo is all Ive ever had.
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice folks....sounds like I can't make a bad decision with either of these two models.

Thanks, Paul

PS Love this site!!  :4x4:
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

crackacoldie

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 10:31:19 PM »
Paul,

I have dragged my Challenge through the Vic High country, through the Flinders and up Googs track and It hasn't given us any greif that Challenge haven't been more than willing to fix and dealing with a family owned and operated SA company is a good thing.

Offline bevwone

• Swag User
  • Challenge Walk In Deluxe/Meridian Camper
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 04:17:29 PM »
I am a happy Challenge owner.

Have had the CT for about 2 or so years, no issues but have bothered them quite a bit about different mods and they are always willing to assist. Including fabricating parts for me for nix.

Two uncles have Challenges, both for over 5 years and every couple of years tow them back to Adelaide and have them upgraded.

My tent has never leaked, and it has been through some rough storms, including three continuous days of pouring rain on KI.

Would highly recommend.

Consider upgrading to the walk - in, well worth the extra coin.

Bevan
Bevan M
2010 GXL 200 TD
Challenge Walk in Deluxe Camper.

Offline Heiny

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »
Hi Mate

I have no specific advice about the type of challenge camper you are after. All I can offer is that if the camper you are looking at is supplied by challenge campers in Rydalmere NSW, which is the same company that supplies (The now Chinese) Track Shaks and Campo-matics, steer well clear and go to another manufacturer.

The company is run by a people who wont tell you the truth, have major supply issues, after sales service is hopeless and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Also what you see on their show/display models is not what you get delivered.

I bought a brand new Track Shak from them Last year. It was so bad that they took it back and paid me my money back to go away. It is a shame because they have some of the best designs on the market, but the company appears hell bent on substituting quality parts for cheap crap to increase their profit margins.

Go with another brand that has a solid reputation (not living off one developed by others previously) for quality and after sales service. Also when you need spares you will have to wait for them to come in from China.

Regards

Jas
Challenge were founded in SA and their own CT's are made in Adelaide with Australian materials, they have also recently bought out Cavalier Camper Trailers (another quality SA CT builder).

You may have had a bad experience with your Trak Shak but do not judge Challenge themselves on this as they are only an agent for Trak Shak and Camp O Matic, their own CT's are built in Adelaide using Australian materials and the quality will easily match any other Australian soft floor CT builder that you wish to name.

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »
Challenge were founded in SA and their own CT's are made in Adelaide with Australian materials, they have also recently bought out Cavalier Camper Trailers (another quality SA CT builder).

You may have had a bad experience with your Trak Shak but do not judge Challenge themselves on this as they are only an agent for Trak Shak and Camp O Matic, their own CT's are built in Adelaide using Australian materials and the quality will easily match any other Australian soft floor CT builder that you wish to name.

73bubba

I accept what you are saying mate, and your point has become clear as this post has evolved. I did quantify (sort of) at the start that I had no specific knowledge of the Challenge Brand.

It is not my intention to Judge Challenge themselves, however I stand by the comments I made about the agents in Sydney at Rydalmere that also sell (Import) Trak Shaks and Campo-matics. The comments I have made about this particular dealer are accurate and based on my personal experience and evidenced by the myriad threads about this mob both here and on explore OZ and other forums. Trak Shak and Campo-matic were both great brands also when made in OZ and also when they first went to China under different management to the current owners. In my opinion they have stuffed the company and the quality of the CT's have suffered.

I hope that this mob are only an agent for Challenge because I fear if they now own them then another quality CT will go the way of the others.

Regards

Jas

Offline Heiny

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »
73bubba

I accept what you are saying mate, and your point has become clear as this post has evolved. I did quantify (sort of) at the start that I had no specific knowledge of the Challenge Brand.

Trak Shak and Campo-matic were both great brands also when made in OZ and also when they first went to China under different management to the current owners. In my opinion they have stuffed the company and the quality of the CT's have suffered.

I hope that this mob are only an agent for Challenge because I fear if they now own them then another quality CT will go the way of the others.

Regards

Jas

Hey Jas I agree with you, a mate of mine owns an Aussie built Trak Shak and you would be hard pressed to fault the thing :cup:

Yes your mates at Rydalmere are only agents >:(

Its a shame your Trak Shak experience was a bad one, they were once a great CT.

Brett :cheers:

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 09:00:06 PM »
Hey Jas I agree with you, a mate of mine owns an Aussie built Trak Shak and you would be hard pressed to fault the thing :cup:

Yes your mates at Rydalmere are only agents >:(

Its a shame your Trak Shak experience was a bad one, they were once a great CT.

Brett :cheers:

Thanks Brett

No one was more disappointed than me mate. They are an awesome design especially for the family, one of my mates has a Chinese one (2005) and it is a great camper also. I was comfortable with the fact they were made OS and had one of the show units for a few months and it was a great camper. However when mine turned up all of the stainless steel had been replaced with gal, but not even gal plating, it was gall spay paint over mild steel. Lucky I had taken plenty of photo's of the show unit, which was shown to me as what I was purchasing, initially they stated they had the right to change the spec when ever they liked (even after taking my money). The photo's became my best deffence and fair trading indicated that they didn't have a leg to stand on. They gave my money back, begrudgingly.

It's a shame because the TS was the camper that best suited our needs.

Anyway, glad to here they are only an agent. I hope that TS ends up in someones hands that will do the brand justice again soon.

Regards

Jas

Offline Heiny

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »
Deluxe Camper Trailers are pretty much identical to the TS and they give the option of fully Aussie built or with a tent from OS, never actually seen one for real though, Yes they are a great design.

My mate lent us his TS before we bought our own CT, probably because he knew we would get hooked ;D

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »

We ended up buying a Kimberley Kamper which is great but lacks the space of the TS. The ultimate would be the KK chasis and kitchen/storage set up with the TS box and tent layout on top, best of both worlds.

Regards

Jas

crackacoldie

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 11:16:21 PM »
Jason,

Can guarantee you from our own experience, the service you received from the Sydney agent is nothing like the great service we received from the factory direct.

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
Jason,

Can guarantee you from our own experience, the service you received from the Sydney agent is nothing like the great service we received from the factory direct.

Glad to hear mate. I am sure they are great people and the product is top notch by the sound of the testimonials on here. My point being if you buy one, buy one from a reputable agent. I know when we bought our KK it was much the same we were given lots of advice from people to avoid a particular agent (Who is no longer an agent) because of poor service and doing the wrong thing by people. We chose to buy elsewhere because of this advice even though their was nothing wrong with their product.

They certainly look like a great camper mate.

Regards

Jas