Author Topic: Custom kitchen on drop-down fridge slide  (Read 5733 times)

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
Custom kitchen on drop-down fridge slide
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »
I'm building up the canopy as a camper, and it's just too high for the wife and I (both vertically challenged).

I've got 2 MSA Paltinum Gear DS40 fridge slides at the right price.  I plan on putting the fridge slide at the front left of the canopy, and the other slide will hold a Drifta or DIY kitchen unit. 

I'm yet to decide whether the kitchen slide will be stock-standard and sit at the rear left of the canopy.  That will give me a space in between to stand and cook.  Alternatively, I might extend the kitchen slide to go all the way from the fridge slide to the back of the canopy.  This will give me a much longer kitchen, but no space in between for cooking (and thus standing under the canopy door, out of the weather).

Has anyone else seen a kitchen on a fridge slide - particularly a drop down slide?

Also, I after recommendations on Drifta style kitchen layout.  The basic dimensions will be:

Unmodified - 715W x 390D x 550H
Modified - 1000W x 390D x 550H

Importantly, what style stove do you recommend?  This will need to tolerate fairly rough offroad conditions.

I'll keep updating this thread as I go.

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
Re: Custom kitchen on drop-down fridge slide
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:05 PM »
ryangus,

Not sure if a DS40 would be big enough to cater for a Drifta kitchen as you mention, it is 1000mm while the DS would be less than 800mm [our DS60 is 800mm]. Also given that the DS's travel length is only that size, I think that it would not retract enough to allow the kitchen to get inside the camper.

Another thought is that the bar used to lift/drop the DS would restrict access to the side, so the only access might be from the end of the DS.

Have you thought about making a table/shelf that could be attached [or not] to the 4by that could hold a stove etc. That way you can cook away from the camper. Kitchen stuff can be stored in drawers etc

As for stoves, I would go for a 2 or 3 burner gas one - Primus, Coleman etc

Sorry to sound so negative but I too had thought of using the DS to hold a kitchen - I know that there are a lot of swaggers who think outside the box, so good luck in your endeavours & don't forget to share what you come up with..

Regards

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:51:16 PM »
For those who might be interested, I've drawn up a prototype, as per attached.  As mentioned, this will fit into a MSA DS40 drop-down fridge slide with an extended width.

In the front bottom left cavity will be a stove.  The right cavity will be a Coleman Hot Water on Demand.  The cavity at the back will fit 2 x 4.5kg LPG bottles.  The other cavities are for food and utensil storage.  Constructive criticism welcome  :D

The left bottom door will hinge down, allowing the stove to be pulled out for use, and access to the middle drawer.  The top left door will probably hinge up to allow the drawer to pull out.  This drawer will be very high, but unfortunately there's not much I can do about that.  Alternatively, there will be no door, and the drawer face will sit flush with the bottom left door.

The right door will also hinge down, and allow room for the hot water system to sit, and provide a bench for extra food preparation.

The back door will hinge upwards to allow access to the gas bottles.

I've already fitted the fridge slide, and it pulls out and swings down perfectly, just allowing the canopy door to close, and the drop down action to clear the canopy.  Once dropped down, I have access to the back of the kitchen.

The only thing I'm yet to factor in is the height of the slide tray walls - this might mean having to raise the height of the bottom door hinges etc to allow opening.  Not too concerned about that, as it should be easy enough to factor in.

I'm thinking about a Lido stove http://downundercamping.com.au/product.php?productid=16967&cat=0&page=1.  Anyone used these, or think of a better option?  I'm willing to change the cavity size to suit, if necessary.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:00:45 PM by ryangus »

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:47:16 AM »
Go with the Lido, got one in my Tambo they are a great piece of kit, and having a grill is great.
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »
Go with the Lido, got one in my Tambo they are a great piece of kit, and having a grill is great.
X2

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:24:43 PM »
x3 Lido's are also low pressure so you can have a quick fit gass connection no need for a gas cert :D

yogi

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 08:49:56 PM »
I have a Coleman Hot Water on Demand.  Would this take the same fittings/bottle as a Lido?

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 08:38:06 AM »
Not sure .... I suspect not as the Colman stuff generally has a proprietary type fitting ... it will also depend on if it is a high or low pressure unit.

yogi