Author Topic: Hiking boots  (Read 4355 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Hiking boots
« on: August 13, 2011, 08:00:36 AM »
It is time I retired my 20 year old Brasher Goretex hiking boots. I am looking at the Scarpa Ranger GTX, Goretex again because I hate wet feet. Does anybody have these and if so what are they like?

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Just some guy

• Tent User
Re: Hiking boots
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:48:32 AM »
My wife has had Scarpa boots for about 4 years now - they have worn very well and still have some life left in them.  Hers are a different model to the ones you asked about but she thinks they are the best shoes she has ever had and she recommends Scarpa to everyone!

Normal disclaimer - I have nothing to do with Scarpa!
Please keep in mind - I'm just some guy.  I don't know nothin about nothin!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:14:05 AM »
Before my accident I used to live in a pr of Hitek's and they lasted me longer than I can remember. They only died when the cup part in the heel wore thru the outer skin.

I have a pair i wear now wheeling and when Im away.. very warm and strong. they are only 6yrs old but dont get much walkin these days, Im too fat and lazy :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:16:28 AM »
Before my accident I used to live in a pr of Hitek's and they lasted me longer than I can remember. They only died when the cup part in the heel wore thru the outer skin.

I have a pair i wear now wheeling and when Im away.. very warm and strong. they are only 6yrs old but dont get much walkin these days, Im too fat and lazy :(

I second HiTec's. I'm on my 2nd pair now. They're very light, waterproof and supportive.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:55:05 PM »
Just buy boots that fit. The scarpa are water proof. They will keep the water in very well.  ;D
I treat my boots with snow seal to keep them waterproof. My 20yr plus boots are still as good as new. (I guess I should wear them!)
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Manjimike

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
I also use Hi-tec, been using them since 2005.
I think comfort/fit is more important than price.
The tongue on my Hi-tecs come almost to the top of the boot and when you Dubbin/Nikwax/Snowseal them they will keep the water out unless you do a creek crossing.
Whilst in the Lake district of the UK earlier this year I considered Goretex but was told by the store owner that if my feet are staying dry in what I have - stick with them.

Cheers Mike

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »
I have a pair of Scarpa that I have had since about 1998, nice boots but I have not worn them that much.  Bought them when living in tassie beacuse they were the best water proof boot.  I only just pulled them out of storage two weeks ago and started wearing them again as all my blundstones (I am not a big bushwalker) are a little past it.

I think I have never worn them out as the tounge on the left boot refuses to stay straight and it does not matter how tight I lace the boots it rolls off centre and inevidably gives me the shytes.  When the tounge is straight they are possible the most comforable boots I have ever worn and definitely keep your feet dry if you keep the leather treated.  I wish I had returned them after the first walk and had them replaced, just wasn't that easy living 250km from the shop.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 04:43:18 PM »
I just got myself a pair of Mongrel work boots,, for work..,, lace up and zip up on the same boot.! i got to admit they have to be the most comfortable boot I've ever worn.. that much padding in them makes them real easy to walk in, would make a great pair of hiking boots,, in fact i think they do make hiking boots. ;D

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »
I have a pair of scarpas that would be 15 years old, have done a lot of work and still going strong. Keep them well treated with wax and they last, my tounge also goes of centre but is not a worry at all. Need to clean them as I wore them all last weekend on the farm, full of cow poo

If ony they made steel caps, i would wear them all day long at work.

GG

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
As an Outdoor Ed teacher in a previous life I give another vote for Scarpa's.  I had them for 18 years before they went into the bin - and they only went in because our stupid kitten of the time pissed in them and they stank from then on.

They travelled with me all around the country and all around Europe and Canada too - in total comfort.

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »
I got a pair of Colorado's that I used to wear on the bike alot (more cumfy than the rebs) and now I'm have'n trouble killing them. There are very comfy boot and dry as long as you keep the wax up to them. Had them 10 years or so and still look like new.
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 07:14:14 PM »
Bought a pair for my daughter because the cheaper ones didn't come in her size  >:( (she's 18 but has kid size feet). Seems they were money well spent. They are the only shoes she will wear camping and says they're super dooper comfy.

:cheers: Glenyse

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 11:45:04 PM »
i to have had a pair of scarpas for the last 15 years .... still going strong .

great boots.

craig

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 12:59:17 AM »
I have Merrell Outbounds and they are fantastic. I wear them everytime I know I'm taking the Patrol offroad, which is usually for serious offroad 'play' time, and occasionally when we are touring :) When the Patrol is pointing skyward and I need to get out and assess the track, it's nice to know that I'm not going to just slide down the hill... they grip in every condition and while the upper is waterproof, the way that the plastic sides come up almost to the laces means that the Goretex breathable bit rarely cops any real immersion. I've also spent all day in them a few times when in the office or just out and about and they are totally comfortable. Definitely worth a test fit.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/17926M/37143/Mens/Outbound-Mid-GORE-TEX

I've had a few pairs of Scarpa boots in a previous life when I did a lot of hiking in the Snowy Mountains and hiking/canyoning in the Blue Mountains and they are also great boots.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 06:51:16 AM »
Thanks, some great options and ideas. I have a pair of Merrell low cut shoes I use when I travel and they are very comfortable, I didn't even think of their boots. I must go and try some on although it is hard to part with the old faithful.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado and Sportscruiser 1550
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 08:07:25 AM »
Like tyres everyone has their favourites.  :laugh: I wear Redback Alpine boots as they fit my feet the best.  :cheers:
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
This is what i use. Asolo TPS 520 GV. They have done a few hundred km's

When i was going to get them i had my heart set on Scarpas, but when i went to buy them they didn't fit. So i walked up and down Kent street in Syd and tried every boot available. These fitted like a glove. Just like helmets, each has a slightly different feel so they don't fit all.
 I would suggest you go to little Bourke st and try them all on.
Darren
Living the Dream.

Offline dallp

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »
Up here double pluggers from are the footwear of choice. :laugh: :laugh:

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 09:01:42 AM »
I knew there was a reason I married my wife, she bought me a pair of Scarpa Ranger GTX :)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado