Author Topic: FYI -Pathfinder & Jayco Swan Fuel Economy  (Read 5873 times)

Offline pauljygrant

• Tent User
FYI -Pathfinder & Jayco Swan Fuel Economy
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »
Hi Guys,
Just in case anyone is interested, when we drove from Adelaide to Mildura the other week to collect our new Jayco Swan, we took the opportunity to compare fuel economy on the drive with and without the camper.
With our partially loaded 2005 Pathfinder R51 2.5 TD Auto, sitting right on the speed limit the whole journey to Mildura (ie, mainly 110 kph), and using cruise control, we achieved 9.9 L/100 km's, or approx 28.5mpg.
On the identical return trip, we dropped speed only slightly to around 105kph; did not use cruise much; predominately used auto, but manually selected 4th on up hills; and with an empty camper, we achieved 15.0 L/100km or approx 19mpg.
We will not always tow at such high speeds and will obviously carry more weight in the camper, in the future, but thought that this exercise was worthwhile to compare what effect the camper has on fuel economy.
Interested to hear how our experience compares with others.
Paul
2011 Jayco Swan; (about to be upgraded to 2015 Jayco Basestation); 2013 Nissan Navara 2.5 ST Auto

Offline goody59

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: FYI -Pathfinder & Jayco Swan Fuel Economy
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:26:09 AM »
I have a 10 hour trip to collect CT next month and I will be doing exactly the same comparison with my Nissan Terrano II. Thanks for post

UIZ733

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:40:57 AM »
Did the same when we collected our Cub Brumby. Brisbane to the Entrance (NSW) 8.8L/100. Return 11.8L/100. Both legs driven at legal limit Pacific Highway (Goat Track). Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6.

Offline ras

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:32:57 AM »
We have a 2010 prado turbo diesel and swan outback..

On a normal trip from melbourne to adelaide, without the swan, we were getting 8.9 - 9.2l/ 100 km. That is a fully laden car.. it depends a bit on wind and how we drive..

With a fully loaded swan, our consumption varied, between 15.8 between coober pedy and alice (110 kph but ver windy) to 12.3 on the Gibb River Road, with speeds between 20 kph and 80 kph.

The swan weighs about 1.5 tonnes loaded up.

Regards rob

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »
Just completed 18,305kms last week (over 8.5wks) -

Melb -> Mt Isa -> Darwin -> Kununarra -> GRR -> Broome -> Exmouth / Coral Bay -> Broome (& Cape Levique) -> Alice -> Adelaide -> Melb

Prado 150 T/Dies (2 Adults + 2 kids + 2nd spare + fridge) + Trackabout Deluxe Tourer (fully laden + 40lts Diesel) -

Average over whole trip was 12.3 L/100kms. Speed was mainly 105kms indicated or 100kms actual.

Happy with that!
Tony
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline pauljygrant

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »

Prado 150 T/Dies (2 Adults + 2 kids + 2nd spare + fridge) + Trackabout Deluxe Tourer (fully laden + 40lts Diesel) -

Read your post too quickly and at first thought that you had taken '2nd spare ... kid'!
paul
2011 Jayco Swan; (about to be upgraded to 2015 Jayco Basestation); 2013 Nissan Navara 2.5 ST Auto

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 10:12:15 AM »
Read your post too quickly and at first thought that you had taken '2nd spare ... kid'!
paul

if only it was legal to carry kids on a roof rack .....
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline pauljygrant

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 10:23:18 AM »
if only it was legal to carry kids on a roof rack .....
...it's  not? ;D

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
6721km 803 ltrs average 11.8 on the speed limit. Prado 150TD and outback Camper in tow for most of it.
I'm happy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline NewMax

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
Towing JAYCO Flamingo S/T Outback, two water tanks and a fair load with our Toyota Hilux Twincab diesel auto we have been getting around 12.5 litres per 100km over the last four months (6,000 km) on the road - mainly in Queensland.  Mostly sitting at around 95 km/h

Not towing around 9.5

Offline Stozz

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Driver, The Nav and The Dog
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »
Hello

We have just taken ownership of a 2011 Outback Swan after having had a 2005 Outback Eagle for the past few years.  Really keen to hear how the Swan is going and what sort of off-road travelling you are doing with it? How do you find it in the rough stuff?

We have a petrol GXL 100s Cruiser and, at best, with the Eagle we get around 20L/100km... it hurts the pocket but is a comfy ride we are prepared to pay for, for now.

Cheers,
from The Nav.

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
I do the calculations as well, but a throw in a bit of a logic as well..

In the VR, 3.8V6  auto ute, pulling the CT,with a moderate weight, nothing too heavy..travelling light, I get about 13lrs/ 100km.@ about 90Kph, with unleaded at the moment on average is about $1.47 per ltr ...so, to travel about 60miles, in the old language...its cost me $19.11.

I slow down.....to 80kph...and I'm easy on the braking, accelerating etc, I get about 10.5/ 100km cost in folding stuff about $15.50...

So I have saved about $4.00 in 60miles....I'll stay driving on 80kph on the black stuff, from now on.

Offline ras

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
Stozz..

We took our outback swan down the  mereenie loop (1st bit of rough gravel), gibb river road and also to cape leveque. 
I took a fair bit of care with the car and camper, and drove to the conditions.. Played around with tyre pressures on both the camper and tug..

Nothing broke or went wrong with the Swan at all.. I was actually quite surprised..

I got some ideas from this forum and protected the plumbing with heavy duty rubber and also the brake cables before we left...

Also fitted a stone stomper before we left and I am really happy with it..

Had a few moments in quite deep sand when driving to Cape Leveque, but it was full of water, food etc for a weeks stay..

Pm me if you want to know anything specific..

Rob

Offline Stozz

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Driver, The Nav and The Dog
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 07:50:12 PM »
Thanks Rob

Do you have any pics of the way you protected the plumbing and brake cables?  The Driver is away with work until Friday and I know he will be really keen to see what you have done (as am I).

How painful is it to get into the back of the car (where our Engel is) with the Stone Stomper on?

What tyre pressure did you use on the gravel/rough stuff. We are thinking around 28psi.

And how did you go with dust? did any get in? and if so, where/how?

We are about to head off to Lake Eyre / Oodnadatta Track and general exploring of SA outback.  Planning on a fair amount of time on unsealed roads so preparation is the key...

many thanks for your advice.

Cheers
from The Nav

Offline ras

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 10:48:04 PM »
Stozz..

I will try and get some photos posted of the underside..

In terms of dust, we havent made any covers yet (there are some great ideas on this forum), so we used gaffer tape and beer carton cardboard, for all 3 vents when travelling on dirt... When we get home, this is definitely on the list of mods to do.
This cut out most of the dust...  There was some dust in some of the cupboards, where pipes etc go through the floor, specifically under the sink and behind the fridge..
Before we left, I had a look at the pipes to try and seal up any holes.. Did some of them, but obviously I missed some..

We just wiped down the benches when we arrived for the day.. The swan will need a good cleanout when we get home, but after 12 weeks of travel, with 2-3 kids, that is to be expected..

In terms of tyre pressure, I was running 32 psi on dirt in the swan, normally running 38 psi.

In terms of the Stone Stomper, getting stuff out of the back of the car was the only disadvantage... You invariably get dirty leaning against it..  In the end, I end up just stepping on it, and that worked ok...

We have a Prado, with the large rear door, and in order to be able to open the door fully, we got a drawbar exension on the swan, and I also removed the jerry can holder.. It means that we can open the prado back door fully, and its quite nice to have the drawbar clean...

The bottom line with the Swan Outback is that you will be limited by its sheer size and weight as to where you can take it, although you have the cruiser..

The other limitation that I think will apply is the depth of water crossings.. Anything over the swan floor level, and you will end up with a wet swan, which I am sure is not very good for it... We did the GRR crossings, but the water we crossed was approx 450 mm, and no problems.

Regards Rob..

Offline micksgoincampin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
Recently the wife and I and 2 kids took our new mountain trail extended escape which weighs 920kg empty for a trip to Dubbo up the Newell highway. We towed it with our 2004 model Toyota Kluger which is a V6 petrol auto. I measured our fuel comsuption and we were getting 14.4L/100kms @ 90kms/hr. Since this trip I have been furiously trying to save up for a real 4wd that hopefully will be less thirsty.