Author Topic: Child Carriers  (Read 4476 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Child Carriers
« on: August 07, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
The Baby Bjorn is getting a little small so I am looking at replacing it with a backpack style carrier.

Does anybody have experience with the Macpac carriers? Any tips, thoughts, suggestions?

http://www.macpac.com.au/shop/en_au/gear-and-clothing/macpac-for-children/macpac-childcarriers

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline ldsparrow

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.1yearoff.com.au
Re: Child Carriers
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »
Hi DVD,

I have the Macpac and its very good and easy to use. Fits really comfortably and our 11 month old loves it over the pram as he sits nice and high and can see the world as we walk around. Its easy to throw him in and strap him up and we can be off and walking just as quick as getting him in the pram. My only tip would be is that we got the size that both my wife and I could use, but to date it has only been me that has used it so I wish I got the next size up, but on saying that it still fits really well but it is just out to its maximum fitting is all.

I didnt try any others so cant compare it to what else is on the market, but can highly recommend the Macpac and if I had to get another one would just buy that again...
Blog: www.1yearoff.com.au

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:17:24 PM »
Thanks ldsparrow, it would probably be only me using it so thanks for the sizing tip. What model do you have? It appears the possum is the most popular.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline ldsparrow

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.1yearoff.com.au
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:31:13 PM »
We have the Vamoose, managed to buy it half price a few months ago as they were on special the day we went and bought it.
Blog: www.1yearoff.com.au

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:41:37 PM »
Have used one years ago for me nephew and it was awesome.  I would check US stores for one if I was buying new at the moment.  Just scored my wife a North Face puffer jacket for less than half the price of an equivelent quality and brand over here. 
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline white Knuckles

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:41:56 PM »
Hey D4D we have the Deuter Kid Comfort II baby backpack and will soon be  using it for our third child when he is big enough. Both children have loved it but looking back I guess we did not get as much use out of it as we planned when we first purchased it. What we like about ours which i guess would be the same as the macpac is it could be used as a kind of baby chair when i was not carrying the little fella around, I also liked the shade cover you could attach and also the rain cover. Things i would consider if i was looking again is easy access for the child when they are up on your back to there own water bottle and food ( hard to pass stuff up to them if your alone). I also like to carry a hydration pack ( camel back etc ) and the Deuter Kid Comfort II baby backpack does not have this capability. We purchased ours a while ago at anaconda and i think i tried the Macpac on as well and it just came down to comfort at the time, ? similar price. If I was purchasing one now i would look at a second hand one because they are made very well, are sturdy and believe most would last a long time.

This one is similar to ours just a bit newer.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Deuter-Child-Carrier-Backpack-Kid-Comfort-II-/250869835262?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BPSSI%252BSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BUCK%26otn%3D20%26pmod%3D270787375253%252B270787375253%26po%3D%26ps%3D63&_qi=RTM636422

:cheers:

2010 GXL Prado and old Jayco OB Hawk

Offline white Knuckles

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »
From our cape trip
2010 GXL Prado and old Jayco OB Hawk

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 08:17:03 AM »
Thanks for the info White Knuckles, good idea about the water bottle storage.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
We have the macpac possum and it is great, my husband carries our 15mth baby in it.

It distributes the weight evenly and you dont end up with sore anything. Also baby boy loves being in it, and the extra storage pockets are great for water and a couple of nappies and wipes.

We bought ours off ebay for a fraction of the price of new.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:20:27 PM by Lori »

Offline Jaashjr

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
I can't comment on the Macpac carrier, however we have a Vaude Butterfly Comfort.
http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de.sf/sec_VlOs_z86pk/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Vaude/Products/17514/SubProducts/175143000

It is absolutely fantastic, I have used it quite a bit and find it very comfortable to wear. I have done a fair bit of backpacking with high quality packs and this is right up there with the best of them in terms of user comfort and quality. It has heaps of storage room inside it, the frame opens out so that it can stand on the ground by itself, you can fit a Camelbak bladder inside it and the adjustability for the child is awesome.  You can set the height that the child sits at, the height of the chest support, the diameter of the chest support, how close to your body the child is held, the height of the neck support and the width of the neck support, so it really doesn't matter the size of the child that is in it you can adjust it to suit. I feel completely confident that my child is safe when they are strapped in.

From memory I think they are around $420.00 so definitely not cheap, but well worth the money.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »
Thanks, I like the idea of the carriers with frames. I wonder if the Macpac stands on its own...

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 04:46:40 PM »
You would need to double check but I suspect so. We have a Phil n Teds brand and the stand is actually inside the 'boot' section rather than outside. The stand folds down for flatter packing.

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 08:54:47 PM »
Yes the Macpac does stand on its own, and ours is also adjustable in height for the baby. Depending on what model you get I think it is also adjustable in height to the wearer.

The accessories you can get are the sleepy pillow and the sombraro sun cover and a rain cover.
It has two seperate storage bits, a smaller one and a larger one.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 06:00:14 PM »
Update - I bought the Macpac Possum today. Macpac had a special reduced from $350 to $210 ;D

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »
Nice one, we have the Possum and the Koala, we've hiked all over NZ with the kids in them - sensational!

We still use them regularly.

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 02:41:52 AM »
Ours is a Tatonka and it's been great. Time to sell it actually so thanks for this topic as a reminder :)

A tip for anyone looking for a child carrier - don't get one that is just a seat with a detachable bag underneath, unless you're ok with the detachable bag swinging as you walk and whacking you in the kidneys.

And definitely get one that has the fold-out prop to stand it up - and be sure to try it on before you buy and work out how to extend the prop and get it off your back and onto the ground, without losing the child on the way. You'll also need to be able to load the child then get the thing onto your back solo, again not super easy and another reason why mum will probably pass on using it. And never leave the child unattended in it when it's on the ground as they can wriggle enough to risk folding the prop in and then over they'll go. Even more of a risk if they can get their feet to the ground.

All models take their toll on the wearer, it's surprising how heavy an infant/toddler can be. As was suggested above, mum won't carry it much, it's pretty much a dad job - the shoulders take quite a load on a decent walk.

But they are great things if you like a wander in the bush, and bub will love it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:46:24 AM by Squalo »
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42