Author Topic: Gu Patrol 3.0L with new engine - considering buying - thoughts?  (Read 4553 times)

Offline maphew_gq

• Tent User
I'm back in the market for a patrol, in the past I've had GQ's both petrol and 4.2 turbo diesel.

I initially started looking for the 4.2 GU and soon ran out of budget, then onto a GU CRD but got a little scared with $40K + worth of truck in the bush doing the stuff I like to do - that and kids!

So I'm now looking for a series 3 GU 3.0L.

I have found a very clean 9/10 2003 GU 3.0L Auto with basic accessories - alloy bar, tow bar, ipf lights and cooper ST's.

My question is this - it has 240,000km on the clock with a brand new crate engine from Nissan fitted by Nissan approx 30,000km's ago. Under the bonnet it looks new. I predict the engine will last my ownership of the car - will everything else? It was a leased vehicle, single owner.

Thanks muchly

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Gu Patrol 3.0L with new engine - considering buying - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:58:16 PM »
Your on the patrol forum, you know the story with them..
Its your call.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline maphew_gq

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 09:02:22 PM »
Happy with engine and I would deal with it, question was more directed at other components around the milage i.e. gear box, axles etc?

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:32:32 PM »
Plenty of Patrols with >240,000 Km on them including 3.0 motors so I reckon the rest of the running gear should be ok, get someone who knows Patrols to have a look if you have any doubts.

:cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »
the rest of the patrol should happily do well over 500,000kms with only regular maintenance for whatever sort of work your doing with it. One thing I think Nissan had right was the rest of the mechanicals, Not so sure about the Di 3.0l engine though. Was the entire Turbo replaced as well? this is what seems to be the root cause of the issues with the 3.0 hand grenade. Massive boost spikes creating extremely high EGT's isn't good for engines and unfortunately it has a cumulative effect. There's plenty of examples with melted pistons under 100,000 Kms so It can happen early. I do believe it was more common to Manual vehicles so the Auto may be a saving grace. If its a good deal and it tests ok, I suppose it would be worth a punt. Hell I took a punt on a 2.8l GU Patrol and it was still going well after 280,000 clicks... If it could pull the skin off a rice pudding from idle I'd still have it but she just didn't suit my towing needs :(
[insert witty comment]

Offline maphew_gq

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 09:51:51 PM »
the rest of the patrol should happily do well over 500,000kms with only regular maintenance for whatever sort of work your doing with it. One thing I think Nissan had right was the rest of the mechanicals, Not so sure about the Di 3.0l engine though. Was the entire Turbo replaced as well? this is what seems to be the root cause of the issues with the 3.0 hand grenade. Massive boost spikes creating extremely high EGT's isn't good for engines and unfortunately it has a cumulative effect. There's plenty of examples with melted pistons under 100,000 Kms so It can happen early. I do believe it was more common to Manual vehicles so the Auto may be a saving grace. If its a good deal and it tests ok, I suppose it would be worth a punt. Hell I took a punt on a 2.8l GU Patrol and it was still going well after 280,000 clicks... If it could pull the skin off a rice pudding from idle I'd still have it but she just didn't suit my towing needs :(

Good point regarding the turbo replacement, not entirely sure. Will ask.
Thanks for reply.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 09:53:33 PM »
If you do need a new motor with new head, turbo, new clutch and box, Vince's Duramax and Alison auto is more than 1/2 way from USA now... he will be sellin off his complete setup!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline maphew_gq

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:19:14 AM »
Can someone please confirm if the 3.0L gearbox and general drive train components are the same as the 4.2 GU?
My understanding is that they are the same with the exception of diff gear ratios?

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
Can someone please confirm if the 3.0L gearbox and general drive train components are the same as the 4.2 GU?
My understanding is that they are the same with the exception of diff gear ratios?
From all my readings the above is correct

GG

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 01:08:04 PM »
I thought it had a different auto?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »
the 4.2 never had the Auto as an option.
[insert witty comment]

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
the 4.2 never had the Auto as an option.
but they have been done  8) 8)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 01:25:44 PM »
I got a 2.8 instead of the 3.0 because I thought it would last longer, 3 days with the bus cam/lifters went because the timing belt slipped, choice is yours there is no engine that will last forever and every engine has it’s weakness as long as you are happy with the bus that’s all that matters J
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline maphew_gq

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »
Not concerned with engine, well aware of the haunts the 3.0 has, plenty on car sales with 200+. I would sleep well at night with new engine being installed 30,000km ago. Thanks to all have replied but was looking for responses based on drive train gear, perhaps, alternator and other bolt on parts.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 03:45:17 PM »
The patrol drive train is just on bullet proof. If you blow the diffs in general wheeling, you will blow anything. Change auto hubs for GQ manuals, much better option.

The drive train will outlast the engine new or not.

The single serpentine fanbelt design is a bitch, from what I've read you lose a belt you lose everything inc water pump.. Carry tools and a spare, and fit a low water alarm in the radiator.

Air flow sensor's are something you need to carry spares of as they go into limp mode until replaced or cleaned. They arent cheap.

Intercoolers leak, and turbos fail

Air cond pump and alternator are common issues if you go in or within 500 ft of mud - they hate it. you can get rebuild kits for one or the other cant remember which from memory, if not they are fawkin expensive.

Theres some good Prado's around forsale at the moment, and well worth looking at.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:04:30 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »
My 3.0lt auto has 265,000 with no problems that are not accident related other than the intercooler was leaking. It is still on the original bottom end and the head was replaced after a workshop mixed coolants, 75% blocking a new radiator causing it to overheat under load (mainly towing).
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 05:05:29 PM »
The patrol drive train is just on bullet proof. If you blow the diffs in general wheeling, you will blow anything. Change auto hubs for GQ manuals, much better option.

The drive train will outlast the engine new or not.

The single serpentine fanbelt design is a bitch, from what I've read you lose a belt you lose everything inc water pump.. Carry tools and a spare, and fit a low water alarm in the radiator.

Air flow sensor's are something you need to carry spares of as they go into limp mode until replaced or cleaned. They arent cheap.

Intercoolers leak, and turbos fail

Air cond pump and alternator are common issues if you go in or within 500 ft of mud - they hate it. you can get rebuild kits for one or the other cant remember which from memory, if not they are fawkin expensive.

Theres some good Prado's around forsale at the moment, and well worth looking at.

Cheers for the top info!!
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline maphew_gq

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 06:58:51 PM »
Thanks Lost, great info. Originally looked at prados but not many around for less than $25k and a bit smaller than patrol with 3 kids in car seats + dog + gear.