Author Topic: Where to leave trailer  (Read 2316 times)

Offline blkd4d

• Swag User
Where to leave trailer
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »
I will be going up to the cape in sep and would like to know where would be the best place to leave a avan my father will be towing. Could that type of van do the Bloomfield track he was planing on taking it weipa leave it there and then sleep In My annexe the rest of the way picking up the Avan on the way back then down through Cooktown to Cairns .

Anders

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Where to leave trailer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:51:55 PM »
Can't help with where to leave the van, but as for the bloomfield track, last year when did the track it was basically a road, there were some very steep sections that the local council were in the process of concreting. There was one or two very shallow creek crossings where you would have been lucky to get the wheels wet, and of course the weir across the bloomfield river. I dont believe your avan would have problems with any of the track, particulalry if it was dry.
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:52:26 PM »
You could drive the family commodore to weipa these days...the weipa caravan park would be the best spot to leave it.
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:41:15 AM »
As Mr Mac said, could tow to Weipa but there are lots of Storage units around Cairns that it could be left at..not sure about Cooktown.

Regards

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 06:23:53 PM »
Only two problems with the Bloomfield Track, as I see them.  There are some steep hills, so the tow vehicle will need some grunt.  I've used low range on several when towing.

I believe the causeway over the Bloomfield River at Wujal Wujal is now tidal after damage over the wet season, so knowing the low tide times may be required.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline maca76

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »
Bramwell Station at the start of the OTL, is another spot to leave your van, my inlaws left theres there when we did the cape in 08.