Author Topic: wife doesn't want to go to the cape  (Read 7522 times)

Offline stulux

• Tent User
wife doesn't want to go to the cape
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:27:03 PM »
so i'm trying to get the family to the cape but the old handbrake has come on and doesn't really want to take her self and the kids up there! to much constant driving! so she wants to stay at Port Douglas in a caravan park and i go with my mate on to the cape! sounds like a plan. so i need to find a cheap park up that way but not many are on the net so anyone up that way can help that would be great!
Stuart

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
Re: wife doesn't want to go to the cape
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
that sux mate.. There is 2 parks at port douglas. The smaller one is walkin distance to the beach and shops. I stayed there .
Living the Dream.

Offline Lowndsey

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 05:18:35 PM »
Bloody women eh

Offline POD

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just get out there!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
Sounds like everyone's kicked a goal! Have a heap of fun with ya mate!
"Never trust an internet quote." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »
Ditch the wife, take the kids and they will enjoy it! ???
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 07:50:45 PM »
Sounds like everyone's kicked a goal! Have a heap of fun with ya mate!
agree!!! talk about win/win!!!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »
so i'm trying to get the family to the cape but the old handbrake has come on and doesn't really want to take her self and the kids up there! to much constant driving! so she wants to stay at Port Douglas in a caravan park and i go with my mate on to the cape! sounds like a plan. so i need to find a cheap park up that way but not many are on the net so anyone up that way can help that would be great!
Stuart
Too much constant driving? Don't even take her, save the balast/fuel and leave her at home!

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 08:33:53 PM »
Better keep her away from Myswag Stu - this is gonna get ugly!.... 8)
Set your chickens free

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »
Point out it's in the contract - honour and obey to death do us part (there's an idea)  ;D

Sorry all in jest.....
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 04:39:09 AM »
You reckon there is a lot of fire & brimstone spewing out of the volcaino in Iceland . That aint nothing as to what your giong to see  if SWMBO sees this . I going to hide under the CT & beat the rush  ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:41:00 AM by speewa158 »
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline flamingo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 06:53:02 AM »
  Gday  Ide book the caravan park before she changes her mind.. No good taking her if she does;nt wanna go hey...Phil
Go Tigers!
2005 Navara
2011 Jayco Flamingo

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 07:14:47 AM »
Happy wife happy life, but you do know as soon as you return from the Cape and show her the photos you will get "why did you not make me go" so sorry but you will be doing it twice  ;D ;D
 :cheers: Digger

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 07:49:19 AM »
G'day mate,

Myself the Mrs and our three kids spent a couple of nights last year at Glengarry Park, nice spot just outside of Port Douglas, could be a bit of a drama if your Mrs will be left without a vehicle, as it's a 10min drive into Port Douglas.... the people that run the park were very helpful and friendly.... highly recomend the place. We stayed in the new two room family units, they have a few options for accomodation....... here's the link below.

http://www.glengarrypark.com.au/accommodation/

Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline stulux

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 08:04:39 AM »
G'day mate,

Myself the Mrs and our three kids spent a couple of nights last year at Glengarry Park, nice spot just outside of Port Douglas, could be a bit of a drama if your Mrs will be left without a vehicle, as it's a 10min drive into Port Douglas.... the people that run the park were very helpful and friendly.... highly recomend the place. We stayed in the new two room family units, they have a few options for accomodation....... here's the link below.

http://www.glengarrypark.com.au/accommodation/

yeah i was looking at this place looks nice.

as for everyone else's comments!!! all true! but would still like the family to see it as well but ya can't always have it my way!

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 08:10:47 AM »
In all honesty I would look more at Cairns.
There are heaps more parks and a lot more for the family to do in Cairns as apposed to Port Douglas, especially if she does not have a vehicle...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 09:27:31 AM »
There are heaps more parks and a lot more for the family to do in Cairns as apposed to Port Douglas, especially if she does not have a vehicle...
Bill and Morag

Yeah good point Bill........ could always do a couple of daytrips to PD...... worth thinking about stulux..... and on that point you would seriously have to consider Coconuts Holiday Park in Cairns.... the kids would love the place..... especially if they are youngens...
http://www.coconut.com.au/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:31:35 AM by Barrabart »
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Lowndsey

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 09:31:47 AM »
Stick her in at Tolga or something as punishment for not wanting to go to the cape  ;D

Offline suziq

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
I agree with Bill & Morag, a park in Cairns would be a lot better to stay in as the wife can access a lot more things if she does not have a car and a lot more to do. If you stay at Pt Douglas after you have seen the markets on a Sunday there is not much more to do during the week. But not going up to the Cape I am sorry but you wife will not know what she will be missing out on. Great up there.
Cheers Suziq.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »
This is not uncommon. I'm planning to tell my wife that there is troopies full of Swedish backpacker at every campsite, as I reckon it will be great trip for all of us.

If she is really not keen, and to make her go would make everyone unhappy, give her a week off, and take the kids.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 11:42:05 AM »

+1. There's nothing cheap in Port. It's lovely, but it's not cheap. As has already been said, much more to do in CNS, especially for the kids.

and on that point you would seriously have to consider Coconuts Holiday Park in Cairns.... the kids would love the place..... especially if they are youngens...
http://www.coconut.com.au/

+1. It's not cheap either, but the kids will have an absolute blast. If they're staying in Cairns while you go up, it would be money very well spent. Get a cabin there, and they'll just go nuts the whole time you're away.

If she is really not keen, and to make her go would make everyone unhappy, give her a week off, and take the kids.

+1. Chances are the kids will love the trip. Means it will be less of a bloke's trip for you, but it'll be something they remember for the rest of their life. The Mrs will love living it up in a nice apartment on the Esplanade, maybe a couple of her friends could come up with her, and make it a girl's week / share the rent?  ???

I guess it all depends on how quick you're planning on doing the cape. If you just want to run up and back, you could knock it over in 3 days. In that case, I'd probably agree with your lady - it'd be too much constant driving for me. If you can afford to take 2-3 weeks to do the trip though, there's really not that much distance involved once you're in Cairns. Do up an itinerary - drive up the tele track for 3hrs, then camp there for 3 days. Then move on another 3hrs up the road. A schedule like that might be a good compromise - it will mean you've got to take more time off, but it might mean that you can all go together and have a great time.

That said, not trying to tell you how to live your life - enjoy the cape!  ;D

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline JethroT

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 11:52:54 AM »
She could always fly into Bamaga or Thursday Island.

Regards
Geoff
Regards, Geoff and Michele

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 11:24:54 PM »

How could any sheila (in her right mind) say NO to a trip of such epic proportions?  It's just not natural.

Kit_e
P.S. Or any bloke for that matter?
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline stulux

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 06:29:29 AM »
all sorted out!!! got my old man coming with me now and taking his cruiser ( it not as good as the GQ but free fuel makes it ok) the wife is staying at the Treetops resort in port with the kids $900 for 2 weeks in 4.5 star resort is good i thought! now just have to finish getting ready!

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 06:51:42 AM »
Mate ,its not the accommadation cost in PortDouglas you'l have to worry about , its the little things like going out to the reef on a jet boat for snorkling or jungle surfing through the canopy just north of the Daintree or even a round of golf [my jaw hit the floor when my beloved told me what that cost per person ].

Offline stulux

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 07:26:02 AM »
 >:D  Mrs Stulux here rofl.  That will teach him not to close his tabs.

The reasons I don't want to go:

- Our kids are 8 months, 3, 4 and 7 (yep four of them)  There is no way he would survive with them for a couple of days, let alone 12.
- Our youngest screams in the car, our town is only small and he cries almost every trip.
- I get horrendously car sick, so a driving holiday is not my idea of fun.  I just want to go somewhere set up camp and stay there for a while.
- I worry about being so remote if something happens to the baby
- Stulux is going with his mates, so the holiday will consist of him driving, fishing and drinking with mates while I wrangle kids while feeling like crap from being in the car.

I really would love to see the cape, I am sad that we won't be going.  But realistically with the kids this young it is just going to be horrible for me.  Perhaps if he had actually asked me about going before he planned it, I would have said the same and planned for next year or the year after  :D 

The kids and I are going to have a blast doing all the touristy stuff, and the bonus is it will be much cheaper with only one adult and 2 kids to pay for (kids 3 and under seem to be free a lot of places)  Can't wait!!  I couldn't find anything in Cairns remotely close to $65 per night :(