Author Topic: Engel two zone........any thoughts??  (Read 18768 times)

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
Engel two zone........any thoughts??
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:16:06 PM »
http://www.twozone.com.au/tz32.html

Does any one have one of these or know anything about them?

I would have enough room in the KK (maybe just) to add one of these to my Engel. I am assuming you would just turn the temp down a bit to ensure there was enough cold to keep the top basket cool.

Any thoughts welcome.

Regards

Jas

Offline Robert Alley

• Tent User
Re: Engel two zone........any thoughts??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:23:40 PM »
Hi Jason

I used one for a couple of years till I got a much bigger fridge. Not as good as a bigger fridge but they do work well when you pack things right.
If the top is cold enough for a fridge the things in the bottom will freeze.

Rob

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:34:21 PM »
Hi Jas,

Here is a link to a previous post, has lots of info for you http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=5682.0 plus a "cut & paste" from a post I did on ExplorOz.com over 2 years ago. I have been running my twozone for over 2 years now and reckon it is now one of the best accessories I have. I do also have a second 40L engel as a freezer, one thing I am not short on is fridge/cripser/freezer space

I recently bought a Two Zone fridge top for my 40L Engels and was originally disappointed with its performance - and thats with the Two Zone insulated cover fitted.

I had the Engels running on "2" and while it was keeping my drinks perfectly cold (actually had ice in some cans), the top section was at 17C and not really keeping my fruit and vegies cold. OK - the ambient temp was 40C and both sections were fully loaded, but at ~$380 for Two Zone and cover I expected better performance. And given the Engels was nice and cold, it was the Two Zone that was not performing.

Now I figured that as hot air rises there was no way the Two Zone was going to keep cool in hot conditions as nothing was bringing up the cold air. So I bought a 12V computer fan and wired it up. Boy what a difference!!!

Running the whole setup today and I was achieving between 3.5 - 6.5C in the Two Zone as the Engels cycled on and off - and all this in a 40C parked vehicle.

Now this was really keeping everything cold and the fan only draws 0.22amps so the extra power is minimal IMHO. And I am sure a keen sparky could figure out how to only run the fan when the Engels motor is going if you wanted to further reduce the power draw.

Anyway, just thought I would share how to get the best out of a Two Zone - why they don't do this as a factory option has got me beat.

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »
Thanks guys great advice.

Good thinking Captan with the fan. My thoughts were to have the cans on the top layer, and have my frozen cryovac'ed meet on the bottom. As you have mentioned I would have thought that a setting of 2 ot 2 1/2 would do the job.

Regards

Jas

Offline bevwone

• Swag User
  • Challenge Walk In Deluxe/Meridian Camper
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »

My two zone was crap until I read this post. I was just about to throw mine and followed this thread and bought a computer fan from Jaycar. Now it is excellent. This is mandatory.

I thought two-zone had gone broke - obviously not.

Bev

I had the Engels running on "2" and while it was keeping my drinks perfectly cold (actually had ice in some cans), the top section was at 17C and not really keeping my fruit and vegies cold. OK - the ambient temp was 40C and both sections were fully loaded, but at ~$380 for Two Zone and cover I expected better performance. And given the Engels was nice and cold, it was the Two Zone that was not performing.

Now I figured that as hot air rises there was no way the Two Zone was going to keep cool in hot conditions as nothing was bringing up the cold air. So I bought a 12V computer fan and wired it up. Boy what a difference!!!
Bevan M
2010 GXL 200 TD
Challenge Walk in Deluxe Camper.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:35:03 AM »
My two zone was crap until I read this post. I was just about to throw mine and followed this thread and bought a computer fan from Jaycar. Now it is excellent. This is mandatory.

I thought two-zone had gone broke - obviously not.

Bev

I thought the same thing.
Actually ours worked great on the 40l Engel and we never used a computer fan...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:14:31 AM »
I used one for a time but found that how I had my fridge set up with the fridge sitting on my drawers could not open the lid , so had to pull the fridge fwd each time . Also the price and to add a thermo cover found for only a little more or the same getting a 2nd 40 l . Thus can have 1 for fridge and one for freezer . Also when outback have a back up for frozen food if one packs it in.
 :cheers: Digger

Offline keldon

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 03:25:55 AM »
mabe a silly question but where do u put the fan in with the beer or in with the compressor???
Like it! Live it! Love it!

2002 Jayco Hawk

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 06:13:13 AM »
mabe a silly question but where do u put the fan in with the beer or in with the compressor???

In with the beer. Fixed to the underside of the two zones basket would probably be best
Jon

CRD TD42TI Patrol - Ultimate Xtrk TBD

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My online pics
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:46:56 AM »
Here is a pic of how I did mine. But I have now moved the fan to the front (just rotated the basket) as when you lift the lid food tends to cover the fan. When its at the front it tends to naturally clear a path for the fan.
 But even when its completely covered, air still moves around the sides quite well.

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »
questions...

1. what size fan is that

2. how have you fixed it to the basket
Jon

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My online pics
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
The fan is an 80mm unit from Jaycar (~$20) and I attched it with cable ties (they fix everything :) )

Cheers

Captain

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »
theres one on ebay for $320
Engel TZ60/80 Two Zone Fridge Compartment for MT60/MT80

is that a normal price?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
theres one on ebay for $320
Engel TZ60/80 Two Zone Fridge Compartment for MT60/MT80

is that a normal price?

bargain price - for what amounts to 2/3 of a esky :D
Jon

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
The fan is an 80mm unit from Jaycar (~$20) and I attched it with cable ties (they fix everything :) )

Cheers

Captain

magic. i've got a few of those hanging around at home anyway - and a variable speed controller as well...
Jon

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 10:53:52 PM »
Hey Captain what a great idea a simple fan , nice catching up the other day , sorry but was bath and feeding time for the little one , just wonder how long before we see " the latest in fridge technology fan force Engels !!!" Still not showing SHMBO your upgrade from the Camprite !!!! 

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My online pics
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 12:11:53 AM »
Nice to catch up with you Digger, always good to put a face to a name. Luv2getaway & family came over for a BBQ tonight and we had a great time talking all things Camprite and camping. Very envious of their trip up north and across to Qld to christen their Camprite, what a way to start ownership :cup:

Cheers

Captain

Offline dazzawhipple

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 01:59:11 AM »
I have a Twozone for my waeco......better fit the fan as everyone seems to swear by it

Think I will have a look a yours Jon when you have fitted it...
Landrover Discovery 3 Auto.......spec changing will update later

2015 Forward fold MDC Cruiser

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 02:56:09 PM »
We have a two zone on our 60L. For our last big trip we used the bottom as a freezer and the top as a fridge, which worked well for us. I think adding the fan would help the top a huge amount, and we could drop down a few notches on the temp setting and still keep the bottom frozen

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 08:14:14 PM »
just bumping this thread as cheap thermostats are now round $3.00 on ebay and wired in series with a fan gives great upper temp control,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-W1209-Thermostat-Temperature-Control-Switch-sensor-Module-12V-50-110-C-/282511992349?hash=item41c706e61d:g:FqEAAOSwX9FZNnaM
Code: [Select]
5M strips SMD3528x150 SMD3528x300 SMD5050*150 SMD5050x300 
LED Qty 150 pcs 300 pcs 150 pcs 300 pcs
Voltage DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V
Current(A) 1Amp 2Amp 3Amp 6Amp
Pwr 12 watt 24 watt 36 watt 72 watt

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My online pics
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »
Thats a great improvement over my original fix. Also below is a link to a controller but already in a nice case.... costs $5.99 delivered but saves the hassle of putitng in a case.

Thanks for bumping this thread.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-12V-Digital-LED-Temperature-Controller-10A-Thermostat-Control-Switch-Probe-/192060250562?hash=item2cb7aed9c2:g:X7UAAOSw5cNYXMSh

Cheers

Captain