Author Topic: Future Flamingo owner  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Jabiru

• Learning the Ropes
Future Flamingo owner
« on: August 23, 2013, 02:06:28 PM »
Hi guys

Google has been my friend of late, and more often that not, my queries have lead me to this site.

I currently have a Jimboomba Explorer aluminium CT and it's been a rock solid performer. Take it anywhere.

Now with a family on board we're about to trade in some of the robustness for a quicker setup. Our next rig will be a Jayco Flamingo OB.

We'll be renting out the house, packing up the kids and going around Aus for a year. Our first kid is 10mnths old, and my wife is pregnant at 14weeks with the other. We're heading off in 2018, so they will be 5 and almost 4, just before school  ;D

2018 is a long way off but it's staggering the amount of research that needs to be done once you decide to live in a trailer for a year. As a teenager I was obsessed with doing up my VH Commodore, and I think the bug has never left me to modify. I've got a whole list of mods to do already, and I haven't got the new CT yet! You guys have given me plenty of ideas so thanks.

Looking forward to chatting with you on the boards :cheers:

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. ~ Douglas Adams

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
Future Flamingo owner
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »
Welcome aboard mate, a great site and plenty of mods for you to do. If you have any questions the guys on here will have the answer
Swannie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline luxabout

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Future Flamingo owner
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 02:39:57 PM »
Sounds like a great plan mate. We have a pretty similar plan - our girl is 6 months now so we have a few years of waiting to do. Good to get a 1 year trip in before they start school though.

Love your username! My dad and I built 3 caravans over the years (first one in 1988) and we called them "Jabiru" (1,2 and 3). Our family is pretty tall so it was a fitting name... I don't think we have thick knees though!! :)

Welcome aboard!
Bryan

Offline Jabiru

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 02:56:15 PM »
Thanks guys, good to know there's people out there as obsessed with the outdoors as I am  :cheers:

I haven't ventured up the coast far enough to see a real Jabiru for myself, looking forward to that day I can tell you  ;D

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:42:35 PM by Jabiru »
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. ~ Douglas Adams

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum, I a, sure you have sold the commodore, what's the tow rig now

GG

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:13:57 PM »
welcome aboard mate and if i'm not attacked by zombies before 2018 i look forward to reading ya blog
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline Jabiru

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »
GG the tow rig was an 80 series but about a year ago I woke up one morning and it wasn't out the front anymore  :'(

So the current rig is a 95 series. It does the job fine for the time being. I now use a steering lock without fail. Once the bank account recovers from the CT upgrade coming up I'll be upgrading to a 120 prado for the 180L of fuel capacity, power and fuel economy.

berlitza the blog will start soon ;D Got a decent list of mods to get through and I'd like to document it...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:25:50 PM by Jabiru »

Offline ozstickman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just Grinning
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
G'day. New bloke here too.  We are campering it with a end 2014 departure for 12 to 24 months. Seems to be more and more people doing it the more you look. Nice choice, looked at the flamingo today at the show here in town. Nice.
Don't complain! It could be worse, you could be six foot under or a brick of ashes!!
Our camper Barry - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31963.0