Author Topic: Packing boat for trip up Weipa way  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
Packing boat for trip up Weipa way
« on: August 07, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »
Hi all, Being as I was pulled up once years ago and put off the road, I have been running legal every sense I thought I better weight all my gear as I loaded the boat for my trip north just to double check I was fine, with the BMT weighing 912kg and with a GVM of 1,5ton I have 588kg to play with, My boat is nearly loaded and all my gear with the 14 things weighing in at 420kg if my mates gear is around  60 kg leaves a little up my sleeve, And for you people who think the trailer running gear is is on maximum load think again I could get it registered for 2ton no worries as its running gear is extra heavy duty, but would have to pay more rego, being a tight ass I leave it at 1,5t, Craig       
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:47:15 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline BBull

• Tent User
Re: Packing boat for trip up Weipa way
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 03:19:18 PM »
might be a silly question but where is your spare tyre mounted. My mate went up there a few years ago and his spare was mounted on the Aframe in a vertical position. The configurations ended up ripping the Aframe in half from the weight of the spare tyre vibrating side to side. Just something to think about if you haven't already.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 05:12:48 PM »
how long you spending at penny this year Craig ?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 06:44:50 PM »
Good question Mr Bull, the 4wd and trailer have the same tires and rims so both are carried on the 80 series, I normally take three but never used one in 5 or 6 trips up there so take two this time, Craig

Hi Spada, Would like 6 weeks there but spending 3 weeks there then come home and service the 80 and hook up the pop up van and head up to Darwin for the school September holidays with the wife and kids, Craig 

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 04:51:11 PM »
Hi all, roughly weighed the ball weight of my boat trailer today I Only had a 150kg set of bathroom scales, it was on 150kg just as it took all of the weight off the 4wd and just as the hole weight was off it came Err so I recon around 160 kg, And I have my mates gear to go in but its packed behind the axle so it should not change much, So Iam happy with that,  Craig

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »
Starting to warm up in Cairns now.  I,m heading to Karumba in a fortnight as a fishing trip.  Brother in law is from Moe area of Victoria.    Could be a big build up this year.  I see the mexicans are starting to head south in mass now.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 04:57:18 PM »
Hope you get on to a few over there BF, should be good once it warms up, my mates mum and dad where over there a few weeks ago for a few weeks worst fishing they have there this year they are finding a new spot for the winter, Thats good were I go there is buggerall camped there now, and my mates said its been tough fishing water temp has only been 21 degress not 24 to 25 degress as normal

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 05:43:41 PM »
Water is cold alright.  The home pool is only 22 so the sea water will be similar.   We are expecting 34-36 top temps each day and caravan owner reckons most tourists are well on the way by the end of August. Cape will be quieter as well....the best time to camp.  Hope you get a feed.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 05:55:17 PM »
Yes will be great, I will take the fishing as it comes, just a joy being there