Author Topic: 200 series advice!  (Read 15984 times)

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
200 series advice!
« on: May 12, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »
Hi all
Well I have finally convinced the wife it is time to upgrade the trusty Patrol. It has been a great truck for the last 10 years.

With our third child on the way (due in 7 weeks) I have been using the argument of more room needed with 2 car seats etc.

We have discussed getting a 200 and there seems to be good deals on them at the moment.

It doesn't make it any better seeing the new ones on here and reading about the 200's on order!!

Help convince me of the benefits of the mighty 200. The wife has suggested a Prado as well. This might be the only chance to get the 200.

Also where have people been finding the best prices?
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline jeb1900

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 200 series advice!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »
Hey,

Definitely seize the opportunity if it presents itself!

For me, the 200 stood out as the car to get.  I was wanting a car that was good to do highway kilometres, capable of towing and capable as a 4WD. 

The Twin Turbo Diesel is amazing, and fun to drive (my previous car was a VE SS ute). 

The automatic gearbox, is fantastic and really great to use both around town and out in the bush.  The gearbox was probably my biggest concern when I bought it - I had never driven a 200 until I owned one.  I had previously spent a month in a automatic 100 series cruiser, and the transmission in it was horrible swapping up and down gears without any reason.  The 200 picks the right gear straight away and works really really well. 

I am very very pleased with my cruiser so far, and can recommend it easily. 

BTW - as far as best deals, I have always found carsales.com.au to be my friend.  There is always a car dealership somewhere in Australia who's looking to unload a car for some reason.  I have just used this price on my own dealer and generally had success.  I have found Toyota dealerships difficult to deal with though in comparison with most other brands. 

Happy shopping. 

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:32:56 PM »
G'day Watty,

I moved from a GU IV to an '09 VX Cruiser, TTD (that's Twin Turbo Diesel) - 195 Kw & 650 nm torque.

Fuel consumption in the Cruiser is about the same as the 'Trol, but MUCH more power. It's the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned.

A mate bought a 120 Prado (second hand) about the same time. From what I saw, the Prado wasn't as rugged as the Cruiser, nor doesn't have the towing capacity.

I was never going to own a Cruiser because one pays too much. But then Nissan gave me the sh!ts and pushed me in Toyota's direction.  I can't thank Nissan enough.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »

A mate bought a 120 Prado (second hand) about the same time. From what I saw, the Prado wasn't as rugged as the Cruiser, nor doesn't have the towing capacity.

Define rugged?  I think that belongs with Patrol and Defender. 
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

nbd73

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 08:57:58 PM »
Why wouldn't you get one, if you can afford it and it fits in your garage? It's really that simple. My wife % I were always anti cruiser as we thought they were too big and popular. But 1 test drive was all it took. Was never a diesel fan either, but now could NEVER go back to petrol power. Tow like there is nothing on the back, super relaxed for long distance driving, and despite the economy concerns of some still way less usage than a petrol V8 when towing.
And Dazzler, does rugged = solid axles?

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 09:01:35 PM »
Hi Watty,
We have had our 2nd hand  2008 200 series since the start of the year. Without a doubt my favourite 4x4 I have ever owned.
It felt massive when we first purchased it, but have gotten used to its bulk, any other vehicle now almost feels to small.
SWMBO only said yesterday how much she loved the 200.
You will not regret a 200
 :cheers:
Glenn

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
200 series advice!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
I have owned my 200 series TTD for the past 3 years, most comfortable and capable vehicle, they are great power wise as standard, however I have a stienbauer chip and 3" exhaust fitted which now gives 255kw and 890 nm of torque,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 09:09:39 PM »
The Prado is a good vehicle, but you'll appreciate the additional room in a Land Cruiser. Trouble is. once you've had all that space no other vehicle is big enough  8).
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 09:12:25 PM »
Thanks for the great replies guys. It is reinforcing my "need" for one.
Have been deliberating for the last 18months.
I have a couple of quotes coming in tomorrow. We will be looking at a GXL TTD. Hoping the price and finance rate come in at the right level. However bread and water may be a fair sacrifice!

Keep the replies coming!! :laugh:

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 09:24:48 PM »
Thanks for the great replies guys. It is reinforcing my "need" for one.
Have been deliberating for the last 18months.
I have a couple of quotes coming in tomorrow. We will be looking at a GXL TTD. Hoping the price and finance rate come in at the right level. However bread and water may be a fair sacrifice!

Keep the replies coming!! :laugh:

We just signed up for the same yesterday,after the first drive we where both hooked. If your still unsure.just book a test drive.
They are doing great deals now too.

cheers,  matt
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 09:37:24 PM »
Define rugged?  I think that belongs with Patrol and Defender.

My friend was having troubles with his Prado, a very squeaking front left shocker.  As weight was put on the guard, with the bonnet up, to compress the shock, the guard could be seen to warp & flex.

I'm not being critical of the Prado, but see the cruiser as more solidly built.  This goes part way to explaining the price differential, I'm sure.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 10:25:33 PM »
My friend was having troubles with his Prado, a very squeaking front left shocker.  As weight was put on the guard, with the bonnet up, to compress the shock, the guard could be seen to warp & flex.

I'm not being critical of the Prado, but see the cruiser as more solidly built.  This goes part way to explaining the price differential, I'm sure.

You are right. There were issues with installing a second battery, winch bar and winch and then adding HD shocks that caused cracking in that area. 
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline ondaboat

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 02:15:23 AM »
Howdy Watty

The Prado's are a great and capable 4WD with out doubt. I know as I own one and flog it. The thing is it's never going to be a 200 series. For me its my first 4WD and I love it. I have 2 young kids and there wasn't really much room between the car seats for another person unless they were very little so the 200 series would win there for you.

The power of the D4D struggles abit when towing as the setup I have is a little on the heavy side, so no pulling out to overtake without alot of space. Hmm would love that 200 series power. So depending if your towing and have a lot of weight the 200 series would win there also.

Price well the Prado will win there as well obviously their cheaper and for me I brought what was within my budget. Unfortunately I didn't plan on what it was gunna cost to kit it out for the touring I do and that was expensive.

For me the next car I get will be a brand spanker 200 series, bugger the expense!

Camprite TL8s towed by 2007 D4D Prado with lots of goodies.

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 06:14:27 AM »
Thanks ondaboat
All relevant points for us. There will be 3 kids (2 car seats) and associated crap. We currently tow a campomatic with tinnie on top and the 3lt patrol does struggle a bit even with exhaust and DP chip.

It may just mean a bit of the kit on the new one will take a bit longer after the bank balance recovers.

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 07:35:01 AM »
There will be 3 kids (2 car seats) and associated crap. We currently tow a campomatic with tinnie on top and the 3lt patrol does struggle a bit even with exhaust and DP chip.

I'd HIGHLY recommend a GVM upgrade at the time of purchase.  ARB go from 3300 to 3580 & Lovells go to 3800.

The Cruiser weighs in circa 2700 kg, with a factory GVM of 3300.  I can tell you from experience, that once you add a bull bar, drawers, fridge, tinnie, and those 3 kids grow up, you'll reach the factory GVM really quickly.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »
I to love the 200 the only thing that holds me back that in the budget i can afford either gets me a second hand 200 or a brand new prado and i like new car smell
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 12:46:54 PM »
As everyone else has said, mate once you have one, there is no going back.

The engine is great, gearbox takes a bit of getting used to but is also now great

I stepped up from a 2002 ZD30 patrol also swearing that I would never go down the Toyota path....now I find myself wondering why I did not sooner. By far the best all round vehicle I have ever owned.
Cheers, Craig

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »
I am in the same dilemma, but I also really like the Discovery 4 too.  Be interested to know what your quotes come back at Watty.

What are people's opinions on KDSS - get it or don't?

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »

I have KDSS as standard on a VX, and haven't driven a non-KDSS Cruiser.  That said, I'm mightily impressed with how well the vehicle corners on the bitumen with no where near as much body roll as the old 'trol.

If and when this Cruiser gets updated, the replacement will certainly have it.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
I am in the same dilemma, but I also really like the Discovery 4 too.  Be interested to know what your quotes come back at Watty.

My opinion would be to get the KDSS, probably the best option available, maybe factory lockers as well ;D

If you go for the D4, get the E-diff and rear air if you can, mine has these, the rear air is brilliant.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »

Mine does not have KDSS and I am very happy with it and I have not driven one with so I can not compare.

From everything I hear though. Those of us that do not have it, do not know what we are missing, so we are very happy with what we have got.......if that came out right.

Two things turned us away from the D4 when we were looking. The Landrover dealer would not take me seriously....and I likw the option of 17" tyres as opposed to the 19"'s
Cheers, Craig

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
Mine does not have KDSS and I am very happy with it and I have not driven one with so I can not compare.

From everything I hear though. Those of us that do not have it, do not know what we are missing, so we are very happy with what we have got.......if that came out right.

Two things turned us away from the D4 when we were looking. The Landrover dealer would not take me seriously....and I likw the option of 17" tyres as opposed to the 19"'s

Yep totally agree on both counts, the 19" rims are a joke, there are 18" rims available now, but only aftermarket, still they are a pain to get AT or mud tyre for, thankfully mine is the early 2.7ltr,  so 17" rims will fit mine.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »

My $2 worth. You lose too much money on a brand new car, a good second hand may suit.

I would consider what tracks you want to take the car on, I would be nervous as hell to take it on the OTL at the Cape where as my 100 series with what extras I added only amounted to $20,000 (paid $17,000) and only 136,000 k's on the clock. If I get a scratch on it I dont care.

I suppose each to their own as they are a great car.

Mark 
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »
Thanks guys. Some great feedback there.
I have considered KDSS. A mate of mine has it and one I drove one that didn't. I honestly didn't notice the difference, although I'm sure there is a big one.

I have looked at second hand, under 60 000 klm and have found that for around another $6000 I can get a new one with full warranty. Although they loose a few dollars initially they seem to retain Their value like nothing I have experienced as a Nissan owner!!

I have read a bit about the GVM upgrade. What sort of dollars is the upgrade worth?

Chester, I was in the same boat second hand 200 or new Prado, but we have decided cruiser is the way to go for what we want so are going to go the extra with the current deals.

JKohn, I will let you know how the quotes go. Didn't come through today.