Author Topic: Smev cooktop problem  (Read 9338 times)

Offline AJC

• Tent User
Smev cooktop problem
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:38:31 PM »
Would anyone out there know what causes the flame on a smev cooker to turn off. Help appreciated.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Smev cooktop problem
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »
Would anyone out there know what causes the flame on a smev cooker to turn off. Help appreciated.
No gas
YMMV
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline 1HDT

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »

Incorrect gas pressure (wrong regulator for application)
Faulty regulator
Appliance demand to high for pipe sizing
Incorrect appliance commissioning. (gas flow rate adjustment)
Incorrect pipe sizing
Blocked jets
Blocked burner holes
Incorrect jets (unlikely unless played around with)
If auto gas shut off (flame failure):
     Thermocouple to far from flame
     Faulty thermocouple

1HDT

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado and Sportscruiser 1550
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:10:04 PM »
The little probe beside the burner could be shorting out. Have a look underneath the stove and check the copper wires aren't touching. Fixed mine and the neighbours. Also check for corrosion on the terminals.  :cheers:
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
No gas
YMMV

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:............ Classic!

Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:36:05 PM »
Thermocouple to far from flame.

This happens to ours occasionally if we knock it from underneath.
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline AJC

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Hi jcat, is the thermocouple the post next to the burner?

Online prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:45:09 PM »
Thermocouple to far from flame.

This happens to ours occasionally if we knock it from underneath.

Seems likely when you google 'smev cooker problem' and you get some typical links like this one-
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopicp-1003650.html
I always try the net for 'XYZ problem' first and it usually comes up trumps with common problems, glitches or Achilles Heels and that's the obvious place to start.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »
Yes it's the copper coloured post at the rear of the burner
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 12:32:02 PM »

Or the inlet that connects to the gas bottle could be blocked.  We often have a family of wasps decide things like this are Home at our place.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »
Is it the Smev with the glass top that you lift up to use the cooker?

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline AJC

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »
Yes that's the one. A two burner.

Offline Heiny

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »
Yes that's the one. A two burner.
If it works the same way as our 4 burner in the Flamingo, the glass top has a switch that cuts gas flow and power to the burners as the lid is closed.
The only problem being that when the top is open it leans against the PVC/Canvas side of the camper, in windy conditions the side of the camper moves the glass top and switches off the burners.

Could this also be your problem ???

I am thinking of fitting some kind of strut to hold theglass top open when in use.

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 05:10:13 PM »
Cheers

Jwb

Online prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
If it works the same way as our 4 burner in the Flamingo, the glass top has a switch that cuts gas flow and power to the burners as the lid is closed.
The only problem being that when the top is open it leans against the PVC/Canvas side of the camper, in windy conditions the side of the camper moves the glass top and switches off the burners.

Could this also be your problem ???

I am thinking of fitting some kind of strut to hold theglass top open when in use.

Here's how a typical glass stove lid gas safety shutoff works if you scroll down the pics-
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=27441.0
I believe some stoves can play up if fat, etc gums up the safety shutoff valve so be aware of that too.

Heiny, I haven't experienced the wind problem re the glass lid on my Jayco yet but on my 03 Dove there is an aluminium toggle button (similar to aluminium flyscreen toggle holders) attached to the wall beside the glass door exactly for that pupose. However my glass door springs are quite strong (perhaps too strong?) so not a problem and I'd be loath to snib the toggle across in case someone forgets and tries to close it. I have a hunch if you did that with the leverage you'd have the glass lid may break and gawdelpya!
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Heiny

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Re: Smev cooktop problem
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »
Here's how a typical glass stove lid gas safety shutoff works if you scroll down the pics-
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=27441.0
I believe some stoves can play up if fat, etc gums up the safety shutoff valve so be aware of that too.

Heiny, I haven't experienced the wind problem re the glass lid on my Jayco yet but on my 03 Dove there is an aluminium toggle button (similar to aluminium flyscreen toggle holders) attached to the wall beside the glass door exactly for that pupose. However my glass door springs are quite strong (perhaps too strong?) so not a problem and I'd be loath to snib the toggle across in case someone forgets and tries to close it. I have a hunch if you did that with the leverage you'd have the glass lid may break and gawdelpya!

My 08 Flamingo does not have the toggle to hold the glass top to the wall and it wouldn't make any difference, as the glass top doesn't have to move much(30mm) to activate the switch.

Cheers Brett

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Online prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 11:03:24 AM »
My 08 Flamingo does not have the toggle to hold the glass top to the wall and it wouldn't make any difference, as the glass top doesn't have to move much(30mm) to activate the switch.

I'd have to say with that toggle on mine you do have to push the glass lid right back to engage it and the lid could barely move after that so it does the job on mine. However as I said it snibs the glass lid on the actual glass itself just above the metal hinge plate and hence my concern about the point load leverage on the glass there should someone inadvertently try to close the lid with it locked back. I suspect that sort of event has seen the demise of a few glass tops but you'd have to see it in action to appreciate it. I've removed mine for that very reason but if you're passing a cara yard and see an early 2000s Jayco set up, take a look for yourself. Interestingly  your model never had the toggle catch fitted it by all accounts.

Offline Heiny

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 01:52:40 PM »
I'd have to say with that toggle on mine you do have to push the glass lid right back to engage it and the lid could barely move after that so it does the job on mine. However as I said it snibs the glass lid on the actual glass itself just above the metal hinge plate and hence my concern about the point load leverage on the glass there should someone inadvertently try to close the lid with it locked back. I suspect that sort of event has seen the demise of a few glass tops but you'd have to see it in action to appreciate it. I've removed mine for that very reason but if you're passing a cara yard and see an early 2000s Jayco set up, take a look for yourself. Interestingly  your model never had the toggle catch fitted it by all accounts.
I have not looked yet but maybe I can modify the switch to activate later, as it seems a bit sensative anyway.