Author Topic: 2 more Fraser Is. Dingo's destroyed  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Ranger07

• Learning the Ropes
Re: 2 more Fraser Is. Dingo's destroyed
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »
I agree we are the problem! But I don't see how banning humans is the answer.  People sometimes are too complacent and the thinking "it will never happen to me" kicks in.  If we want to travel and explore our great country with our children and give them and us memories to cherish we need to do our research, be prepared as much as we can and respect the environment we are going into.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »

My take on this story is ... the parents were in holiday mode ... they should have been educated prior to landing on the island to the dangers their children would be under because of the Dingo's.  Even adults ... alone ... are at risk in a pack situation.  These animals are wild and it's unfortunate they look like Fido, Rover and Jack our domesticated friends (who are still wild at heart really and still shouldn't be trusted where children are concerned ... ). 

People are the problem.  We enter the "wild" domain and expect it to be like the city or at home.  Domestic dogs never attack or kill or injure ... my arse!  If you have children and want them to become adults, you accept your responsibility to do whatever is necessary to keep them safe.  My parents had me on a kiddy leash when I was young.  A little inconvenient for the parents, but safety assured.  I do understand that this could have been much worse, and I do feel for the poor child, however it wasn't the childs responsibility to ensure it's own safety.  You can't blame the dogs for doing what comes naturally.

Anyone can land on the island, see the "puppies" and become complacent.  As for the condition of the dogs ... perfectly healthy ... although compared to Fido, Rover or Jack they do "appear" to be starving, but this is not the case.  I believe people feed them because they haven't been educated and do not understand that the dogs are in fact, healthy.

I don't think culling them till they become almost extinct is the right way to do things.  They are being managed by the NPWS to the best of their regulated ability.  As with the Crocodile, these Dingo's are protected by law.  Education is the key.  You want on the island, you get the "lecture" before you go over at the time of placing your booking in person, sign a waiver or something that shows you completely understand the dangers.  Then you become responsible for your own safety.   

I feel for the child.
I feel for the Dingo.

This isn't a rant or a be all and end all, it's just how I feel about the situation.

Kit_e

2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 08:26:35 AM »
My take on this story is ... the parents were in holiday mode ... they should have been educated prior to landing on the island to the dangers their children would be under because of the Dingo's.  Even adults ... alone ... are at risk in a pack situation.  These animals are wild and it's unfortunate they look like Fido, Rover and Jack our domesticated friends (who are still wild at heart really and still shouldn't be trusted where children are concerned ... ). 

The education is already there IF people heed it.  As you get your permits to get on the island you get information about being vigilant due to the dogs.  There are also lots of signs warning of dingoes & dingo attacks.  In some of the shops there is new reports & pictures of attacks.  Its only people who DONT/WONT listen who dont get educated.

I feel for the dingoes in this case.
I have only been to Fraser once, but will go back.  We took our 3 & 5 year olds & camped on the beach.  With us there was a total of 7 children from 3 to 10.  We had no issues & never once lacked in our monitoring of the kids, EVERYONE'S kids.
I have also been to Cape York, my kids were 2 & 4, & I certainly didnt let my guard down the whole time we were in croc country, that would be neglect on my part to allow my kids near danger unsupervised.

I have seen the pics of where 2 kids & a mother standing at the beach where attacked, the dog was aggressive and IMHO should have been dealt with.  That looks from the outside to be a very different attack than someone letting their 3yo walk off alone,  & despite what someone said earlier you CAN watch your toddler ALL of the time if you put effort into it & around danger its the only thing that should be on your mind.