Author Topic: SA Caravan and Camping Show - locals only  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
SA Caravan and Camping Show - locals only
« on: January 22, 2019, 07:18:07 AM »
It's not applicable to me, but I got this info as part of a marketing email from a manufacturer and thought I'd share it in case anyone in SA was planning to view new models at the Adelaide show next month. Interesting move from the representative body to restrict exhibitors? I assume it must be a space issue?

"SA Caravan and Camping Show - a no go!

Despite having exhibited at the Adelaide Caravan and Camping show for the past 13+ years and being a paid member of the state association, Caravan and Camping Industries Association of South Australia have decided to no longer allow manufacturers attend this show unless they are based in or have a dealer in South Australia.
This decision affects many of the smaller, premium quality, Australian manufacturers who cannot justify having interstate dealers around this vast country of ours.

It also affects the Australian consumers who prefer to attend these shows so that they can view all products available to them without having to travel far and wide. Unfortunately, this decision will mean that you, the consumer, will only be able to view products that you would be able to view close to home anyway.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, however we have tried our very best to exhibit at this show."
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Gandalf the White

• Wise Wandering Wizard
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Feelin great with a 2.8
Re: SA Caravan and Camping Show - locals only
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 03:16:54 PM »
It's not applicable to me, but I got this info as part of a marketing email from a manufacturer and thought I'd share it in case anyone in SA was planning to view new models at the Adelaide show next month. Interesting move from the representative body to restrict exhibitors? I assume it must be a space issue?

"SA Caravan and Camping Show - a no go!

Despite having exhibited at the Adelaide Caravan and Camping show for the past 13+ years and being a paid member of the state association, Caravan and Camping Industries Association of South Australia have decided to no longer allow manufacturers attend this show unless they are based in or have a dealer in South Australia.
This decision affects many of the smaller, premium quality, Australian manufacturers who cannot justify having interstate dealers around this vast country of ours.

It also affects the Australian consumers who prefer to attend these shows so that they can view all products available to them without having to travel far and wide. Unfortunately, this decision will mean that you, the consumer, will only be able to view products that you would be able to view close to home anyway.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, however we have tried our very best to exhibit at this show."
It’s an interesting stance given that most expo’s & shows are revenue generation activities under written by a corporate or managed investment business (often not actually associated with the industry on display).
I’ve seen instances where there could be physical space or insurance based limitations on how many trade stands they can sell but at the end of the day, the event organiser maximises their revenue by selling maximum space. So if they can sell 100% of the space using vendors that are local or have local representation without taking the normal come one come all vendors, then I’d be looking for a bigger venue if other’s want to buy a trade stand.
On the other hand, I’ve seen tactics like this with political agendas of excluding someone that is a competitor product to a mates business🤔
How to fall asleep in a chair
1 - sit in a chair
2 - be old

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »
Surely the bigger the show and the more exhibitors makes the show more of a draw card?

If Nugget's Campers wants to tow a couple of vans from N Qld and try and get some interstate interest at the other end of the country, it would be a fool that wouldn't take the $$ and give them a few square meters to exhibit.

Yeah, its nice they are trying to support their members (except this bloke that is shut out), but they restrict it too much they won't have much of a show as I can't imagine that the SA industry is that big and people will stay away in droves. With social media these days, no matter how much you promote it on radio/TV/papers, a couple of don't bothers on FB and word quickly gets around. 

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 04:29:55 PM »
The problem they may encounter is that there is a high chance that the S.A public have already seen and are familiar with most of the local offerings and are craving to see and look at other interstate designs etc..

this is one of the main reasons I like to attend shows as I get to see what is on offer in other areas of country..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 06:17:08 PM »
I'm from SA and I'm thinking twice about going now, isn't this restriction of trade by stealth.  >:(
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:20:54 PM »
It may in fact be a Govt imposed condition.

I'm aware that around 5 years ago in NSW, NSW Fair Trading had issues with shows like these in relation to motor dealer licensing. In NSW a motor dealer is licenced to sell from an address "a place of business",  which does not include the show ground. The dealer could make the introduction at the show but the sale has to be completed at the dealer address. Not an issue for the NSW dealers.
The logic behind this besides it being a legal requirement was that your consumer protection laws are also tied to the "place of business " and  a sale at a place other than a "place of business" exposed purchasers to the potential of no consumer rights, a bit like buying from a private seller.
For interstate dealers/ manufacturers that was problematic, they could only exhibit.

Not sure what the status is these days in NSW as I'm not there these days.
SA may be dealing with a similar problem.

Offline Humphreythebear

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 07:03:56 AM »
Mr Rags is correct .
Victoria also will enforce this position , its ( to try ) and stop the driveway sellers who then hide behind an email address or a mobile phone number .
Personally i don't have a problem with it - although there are many potential purchasers who would ' buy over the phone , internet etc '

although at the prices for space at some shows it would actually be cheaper to rent a showroom / factory unit for at least 6- 12 months and try your luck !
Outback Sturt , Holden SS Ute and a MTB for the Rough Stuff

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:09:03 AM »
Quote from: Humphreythebear
although at the prices for space at some shows it would actually be cheaper to rent a showroom / factory unit...

That was my thought... few yrs back when ARB has their stand at the melb show was $85,000 for the 3 days.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »
That was my thought... few yrs back when ARB has their stand at the melb show was $85,000 for the 3 days.
Yes trade shows and exhibitions etc are expensive but you get a qualified audience and generally huge numbers in a very short period plus the follow ups over the next few months. I probably did 80 plus major shows in my working life and very few were not cost effective . We did have the advantage our products sold between $5 and $200 so weren't seen by many as a considered purchase.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru
The following users thanked this post: rags