Author Topic: Finally solve the problem filling the KK water tank with a jerry!!!  (Read 5864 times)

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
Ok so they may be a post already with this but I could never find it and trust over the years I have been looking!!!

We have had our KK for 4 1/2 years and have always had trouble filling water tanks when in the great outdoors due to air and splash back.

Tanks fill fine with mains pressure, but when you try to fill with a jerry half the water comes out due to air. Breather hose is fine but we assume that you need the pressure to get the breather open. We have tried everything big hose small hose (thinking it might be easier for the air to escape) but alias nothing worked.

Last night at bunnings we picked up a new 20 water jerry which came with a flexi hose. In noticed on the flexi house there was a second small tube...could this be a breather. Went home and we tested it out. At the start you could actually hear the water going into the tank, but then it stopped and we are like....bugger...then suddenly the air started coming into the jerry can, hubby released the other air out let on the jerry and the water continued to go into the tank not a drop split. Doing the happy dance!!!! 

2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Finally solve the problem filling the KK water tank with a jerry!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »
I've always had trouble filling my KK with jerry cans through that side filler point whilst away camping (no issue with water mains through the other tank fitting), it Shit me so much at Straddie last Xmas I finally had a look at why it keeps spitting the water back out at me obviously due to some sort of air lock issue. A quick crawl under the camper and removal of the KK's water tank breather line finds it had water in it, and was stopping the air escaping...the water poured straight in no problem once that was disconnected. I plan to reroute the air breather line elsewhere other then back to where you pour the water in, seems like a silly place to have it and will likely always keep getting air locks where they have put it.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Hodgies

• Tent User
  • Hodgies
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 01:26:17 PM »
Following with much interest. Thanks for the tips so far. 👍👍👍
2011 Ford Ranger
2001 K.K

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:21:22 PM »
I've always had trouble filling my KK with jerry cans through that side filler point whilst away camping (no issue with water mains through the other tank fitting), it Shit me so much at Straddie last Xmas I finally had a look at why it keeps spitting the water back out at me obviously due to some sort of air lock issue. A quick crawl under the camper and removal of the KK's water tank breather line finds it had water in it, and was stopping the air escaping...the water poured straight in no problem once that was disconnected. I plan to reroute the air breather line elsewhere other then back to where you pour the water in, seems like a silly place to have it and will likely always keep getting air locks where they have put it.

We think the breather hole is set up the way it is to stop crap getting down it, and when you use mains water it provides enough pressure to open it.

We have tried filling both tanks using the flexi hose with the breather twice on the main tank and not a drop came out, so I don't see any reason to play with the set up.
2017 BT-50 GT

Offline Muckinhell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2014 Ecomate traveller forward fold.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:33:19 PM »
i tried googling this device briefly this morning to no avail any pics pls of the jerry and hose?
2005 HDJ100r Sahara
Better to look at it, than for it!

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 04:15:43 PM »
We think the breather hole is set up the way it is to stop crap getting down it, and when you use mains water it provides enough pressure to open it.

We have tried filling both tanks using the flexi hose with the breather twice on the main tank and not a drop came out, so I don't see any reason to play with the set up.
i'll have a look for what you are mentioning, open to any solutions offered up....be nice not to have to reroute the hose if I don't need to.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »
Here is what Im talking about. I think it was around $14 for the jerry and it came with this attachment.
2017 BT-50 GT

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »
Struggling with the whole photo thing but we will get there

2017 BT-50 GT

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 06:20:03 PM »
On our 1st KK, it was especially important, we redirected the breather to a higher point than the inlet, which meant extending the line to the front and raising it 1/2 way up the jerry holders and it filled like a ........lol......nice lady !!  ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline melba

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »
I dont own a trailer yet, but have you tried opening the kitchen tao or any othet watet fixture higher than the tank and fill it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline melba

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 07:34:20 PM »
Excuse my spelling, well my stumpy fingers, as a plumber, although we install air bottles etc to bleed air, any fixture above the tank will bleed the air if there open, you do lose a little water as your filling but if water is available just try that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 08:20:50 AM »
Was at bunnings yesterday and the flexi hose with the breather is next to the Water Jerrys. Assume this would be the same at every bunnings. The jerry with attached spout appears to be a one of special but the spouts fit all those types of tanks, so you may as well just buy the nozzle on its own
2017 BT-50 GT

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 10:37:22 AM »
We use a foot lenght of hose to shove down the inlet with a funnel fitted to the end that we have nicknamed the bucket bong

Works a treat when having to fill from Jerry cans
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »
We use a foot lenght of hose to shove down the inlet with a funnel fitted to the end that we have nicknamed the bucket bong

Works a treat when having to fill from Jerry cans

We have tried that but the air still has to get out and that is were the problem strikes. The flexi nozzles just get rid of all the issues.
2017 BT-50 GT

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 12:47:21 PM »
The nozzle you are using it to stop the Jerry building up a vacuum and sloshing out as air rushes back in "gulps"
It probably works for you as the water will pour out at a steady rate rather than gurgling out.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
The nozzle you are using it to stop the Jerry building up a vacuum and sloshing out as air rushes back in "gulps"
It probably works for you as the water will pour out at a steady rate rather than gurgling out.

A steady rate is not the issue was doing that before with a hose attached to the jerry, the issue is the water flow doesn't have enough pressure to open the breather hole. So by using the nozzle with a breather attached it eliminates the problem, you can hear the air going into the jerry but instead of splashing out all over the ground the air now has a way out.
2017 BT-50 GT

bully

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
I have never been able to use the filler so I always fill the tank up from the drain valve on the bottom of the tank. I just pump straight out of the jerry and bypass the tank. Or using the pump fill the tank back up from the bottom valve again. Pumping is easier for me.

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 06:28:36 AM »
I have never been able to use the filler so I always fill the tank up from the drain valve on the bottom of the tank. I just pump straight out of the jerry and bypass the tank. Or using the pump fill the tank back up from the bottom valve again. Pumping is easier for me.

Why can't you use the filler?
2017 BT-50 GT

bully

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 06:56:59 AM »
It just spills back out and spits and carries on

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 09:36:40 AM »
Not just a KK problem, happens to a lot of CT's & Vans.

A slow way to do it is to place the jerry higher than the water tank, hose in the jerry & the other end in the water tank's drain hole. Open the drain & the jerry will drain, settle back with a  :cheers: or 2 & chill out.

2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 02:59:21 PM »
Not just a KK problem, happens to a lot of CT's & Vans.

A slow way to do it is to place the jerry higher than the water tank, hose in the jerry & the other end in the water tank's drain hole. Open the drain & the jerry will drain, settle back with a  :cheers: or 2 & chill out.

Im just glad we finally found a solutions that cost nearly nothing and turned a nightmare into a 2 minute job. Happy Days, more time with the feet up!
2017 BT-50 GT