Author Topic: YOUR solution to Speed/Redlight Camera's  (Read 11586 times)

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
YOUR solution to Speed/Redlight Camera's
« on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »
Speed/Redlight Camera's are always a hot topic. The discussions can be sensible or heated, with many *solutions*
Seen as we're not sitting in a Pub, figured we might be able to have an intelligent discussion, and see if anyone has a sensible solution to eradicate the apparent evil beast's...never know, YOU may have the winning idea  ;)
Bob and Robyn

UIZ733

Re: YOUR solution to Speed/Redlight Camera's
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:48:36 AM »
Keep to the speed limit.

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:55:14 AM »
don't run red lights and don't speed ... quite simple ... I don't understand

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:02:47 AM »
The above are correct. But Bob iam with you Bob occasionally you drift of concentration a bit and there is the risk of getting done. For me the danger ones are the school zones. Harder now as the NSW Government has made a concerted effort to get every zone a flashing sign hence harder to miss.

Can't see why we can't have a sensible debate about it? unless some clown starts policticing it .

For mine the cruza has the warnings in the GPS I have them enabled.

I think the speed component of the  red light and speed ones are the bastards. And thank us lucky we are in NSW. The hidden traps and less than 5% rule are much tougher in Vic.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:34:29 AM by achjimmy »
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
don't run red lights and don't speed ... quite simple ... I don't understand
Totally agree... We need to pay attention all the time, too many deaths have occurred on our roads because of this.... I have attended many over the years.....

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »
Not sure I understand the real question here. Speeding, yeah we've all done it but we've only got ourselves to blame. Running red light, well I can't see any excuses for that one as it's flat our dangerous and if it's due to lack of attention maybe you shouldn't be on the road. If a member of your family was killed by someone running a red because they weren't paying attention would you forgive them?

Sent from the machine that goes..... Bing!

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 11:29:27 AM »
I know somebody whose mother was killed by a truck whose driver thought that red lights didn't apply to him. She was first in line at the intersection, got the green, pulled out and bang.
If a red light camera fine and the points gets one bad driver off the road of make another pay a bit more attention then it's all right with me.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
I agree with red light cameras ...
As far as speed cameras etc... What about this ...
Where there is a fatality or several fatalities / accidents - restrict the speed zone for a kilometre or 2 in both directions by 20 km/h .. AND put fixed speed cameras in place
until there is a year of no accidents/speeding  then remove the cameras and put speed back to what it was originally ..
Sneaky hidden speed cameras should be made illegal and all the motorist organisations should lobby their various authorities to have this done ..
My 20c worth ..
Mandrake
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Bm0

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »
I have no problems with speed cameras to enforce speedlimits from a saftey point of view... and if I speed I pay the price (if i get caught)

However, at the risk of politicising this, there are some occasions where you have to feel like it is about revenue.

I got a speeding fine this year for 99 in an 80 zone... sounds horrible on the surface but this is what happened. I was on a highway at night, with cruise control on 100 (well 99 it seems) I was literally alone on the highway. I came to an intersection (traffic lights) which I could see for miles was empty and I had a green light. The intersection also has the warning lights for when the light is about to change to Amber then Red (they where not flashing) so I continued on my way with cruise control on.

I missed several things

There is a redlight/speed camera on this intersection
The speed limit changes from 100 to 80 JUST before the intersection and goes back up to 100 JUST after the intersection.

To me this is not about saftey. Sometimes this intersection is busy, at which times it is impossible to go fast. When it is not busy, it is more than safe enough to maintain the speed (in my opinion)

I know I did the wrong thing by the law, I paid my fine (my first in 9 years) and moved on but I cant help but feel a little ripped off.

What's my solution? I think the cameras etc are fine, its inappropriate speed limits that are a joke

KingBilly

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »
Every state government would be broke without the revenue from speed cameras.  FACT.  I am more than happy for others to pay this "tax" ;D (and that's no attack or reflection on any previous poster's comments/actions)

KB

Offline Bm0

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »
Every state government would be broke without the revenue from speed cameras.  FACT.  I am more than happy for others to pay this "tax" ;D (and that's no attack or reflection on any previous poster's comments/actions)

KB

No Attack or offence taken... I broke the law, for which the punishment is a fine and some demerit points, which I paid...

Nothing really to be offended about. I guess what I was saying is that these are supposed to be for 'saftey' but really its not about that as you have basically said.

Offline DRB120

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 11:53:41 AM »
I believe at times mobile speed cameras are just a revenue raiser and yes there are times where we get a bit unlucky, but really if you dont speed there is nothing to worry about.

As for red light cameras I think they should be on every set of traffic lights, its not hard to follow the rules, Ive lost a friend on a motor bike who was cleaned up by an idiot who decided the red light didnt need to be followed. The fine the driver got will never bring my mate back. If the cameras will help to stop this type of thing Im all for it.
2005 Prado 120 & 2013 Jawa Offshore 1

Offline Bm0

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
I believe at times mobile speed cameras are just a revenue raiser and yes there are times where we get a bit unlucky, but really if you dont speed there is nothing to worry about.

As for red light cameras I think they should be on every set of traffic lights, its not hard to follow the rules, Ive lost a friend on a motor bike who was cleaned up by an idiot who decided the red light didnt need to be followed. The fine the driver got will never bring my mate back. If the cameras will help to stop this type of thing Im all for it.

I am with you on Red Light Cameras... its pretty simple, I cant think of any circumstance where running a red light is excusible or safe (bar getting out of the way of emergency vehicles, where you are not really running it)

KingBilly

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »
I guess what I was saying is that these are supposed to be for 'safety' but really its not about that

You hit the nail on the head.

KB

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »
I agree with red light cameras ...
As far as speed cameras etc... What about this ...
Where there is a fatality or several fatalities / accidents - restrict the speed zone for a kilometre or 2 in both directions by 20 km/h .. AND put fixed speed cameras in place
until there is a year of no accidents/speeding  then remove the cameras and put speed back to what it was originally ..
Sneaky hidden speed cameras should be made illegal and all the motorist organisations should lobby their various authorities to have this done ..
My 20c worth ..
Mandrake

Great post Mandrake and that is my opinion also.  :police:

Offline Azz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 12:09:58 PM »
A few years back I got done at 6:04am, on a Saturday morning at the intersections of Victoria Parade and Nicholson Street, Melbourne. Stopped at lights, got the green, take off. FLASH Done.
I get the photo, there is a great shot of the behind of the Cruiser with the 60 sign (and zone that I am about to enter) 20 mtrs in front of me. 56 in 50 zone.

That evening, at 6:18pm I am turning right onto St Georges road off Bell Street. After waiting my turn for five light changes, I am sitting behind one car as we wait for a break in the traffic. We are pretty much in the middle of the intersection, no mans land.
No break in traffic, the lights go amber, the guy in front is slow........ FLASH I am sure as well as myself, the two cars behind got done as well.

I certainly felt hard done by, but it would of cost more in travelling back to the city for court and accommodation then just taking it on the chin.

I am sure if there was a Police Officer there for either times, I would not have even be pulled up.
Now thinking about it, that was 2008, so I must have all my points back by now :D

Either way, they are here to stay and will catch plenty of bad drivers and still get the odd few that try to do the right thing, but slip up, have a bad day etc etc etc

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »
Drive someone else's car.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »
I have no problem with speed or red light cameras my problem is multiple speed changes on roads due to school zones etc for example if you travel the full length of parramatta rd sydney it changes speed approx 17 times and this gets confusing.

To avoid this they should paint the lines a different colour for each zone say red for 50. Green for 60. Blue for 80 and the like
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 12:13:58 PM »
That evening, at 6:18pm I am turning right onto St Georges road off Bell Street. After waiting my turn for five light changes, I am sitting behind one car as we wait for a break in the traffic. We are pretty much in the middle of the intersection, no mans land.
No break in traffic, the lights go amber, the guy in front is slow........ FLASH I am sure as well as myself, the two cars behind got done as well.

I hate that when people don't know how to turn right and go slow.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bm0

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »
I am sure if there was a Police Officer there for either times, I would not have even be pulled up.

That's sometimes the issue with camera's... no grey area

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »

KB

Hate the bloody things, however they are here to stay.  Spoke to a bloke the other day and he was done for 76 -3=73. WTF? 3 over? I'm sure that will save someones life. NOT! Anyway come my way and I will look at your speed, if you are at least 10kph+ in a 60 + zone. I hate speeders  and I believe that KB hit the spot about paying this tax. As far as red lights go, if you dont make an attempt to stop at the amber the same fine applies in VIC.
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline dungee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »
I agree, speed camera's save nobody, they need to be where the accidents happen, in roundabouts and intersections, wait, not many people speed there!

Red light cameras should be on every intersection with lights.  I cycle to work 3 days a week and the number of cars that run red lights is disturbing, yes I see more cars doing it than cyclists.

A couple of months ago I was hit by a red light runner, escaped with a few bruises but could have been a lot worse.  As it was he got away scott free, if there was a camera there at least he would have a ticket for his trouble.
Chris

Nothing to see here - move on.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »
I have no issues with
- Redlight Cameras
- the Booze Bus
- the Drug bus

Speed cameras (which they were originally called until someone went **** the lemmings are onto us! Change their name) on the bottom of hills, and on wide open spaces are a joke... Why not have them in school zones? Why not have them in back streets?

WHY HAVE THEM HIDING IN THE BUSHES?

Sending someone a fine in 7-14 days is not going to save anybodys life - Fact. If Im driving down the Oxley Hwy out from Walcha heading to Gingers today doing 290kph on my bike, sending me a fine in 14 days wont have slowed me down 14 days ago. Am I right? simple Yes or No.
Wheres the logic?

Cut the bull**** and admit they need the money (From memory South Australian Gov actually has it in the budget - I believe the only state to admit it) people would take them more serious and respect them if they scrapped the bull**** and treated everyone like they had an IQ.
130 on the Eastlink or Hume is not dangerous.

**** drivers are dangerous.

New rules to get your license
If it was up to me, it would be like some of the european countries where people have to go through 6-12 months of training to get their licenses.

There would no longer be any training with mum and dad fudging the log books (I've seem some ****ed up things learners doing with mummy just stalkerbooking away while little Shimon Thunder Devid Hippo Jedi just drives away without any instruction).

They would have to attend full basic driver training course, and advanced driver training courses. Compulsory to be in wet and dry and icy conditions. You then have to pass your test in each condition.
Cost = Who gives a ****, you want a license you earn it.

These courses would also teach people basic maintanance. How to change a tyre, check oil, radiator, tyre pressures, and windscreen washer fluid. Love a $$ for everytime I've seen someone on side of eastlink unable to change a flat tyre! At least 2 day ??? ???
They would be forced to take 2 weeks tuition in a semi trailer as a passenger - to find out how ****ing hard it can be to stop.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:38:27 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bm0

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 02:38:49 PM »
I have no issues with
- Redlight Cameras
- the Booze Bus
- the Drug bus

Speed cameras (which they were originally called until someone went **** the lemmings are onto us! Change their name) on the bottom of hills, and on wide open spaces are a joke... Why not have them in school zones? Why not have them in back streets?

WHY HAVE THEM HIDING IN THE BUSHES?

Sending someone a fine in 7-14 days is not going to save anybodys life - Fact. If Im driving down the Oxley Hwy out from Walcha heading to Gingers today doing 290kph on my bike, sending me a fine in 14 days wont have slowed me down 14 days ago. Am I right? simple Yes or No.
Wheres the logic?

Cut the bull**** and admit they need the money (From memory South Australian Gov actually has it in the budget - I believe the only state to admit it) people would take them more serious and respect them if they scrapped the bull**** and treated everyone like they had an IQ.
130 on the Eastlink or Hume is not dangerous.

**** drivers are dangerous.

New rules to get your license
If it was up to me, it would be like some of the european countries where people have to go through 6-12 months of training to get their licenses.

There would no longer be any training with mum and dad fudging the log books (I've seem some ****ed up things learners doing with mummy just stalkerbooking away while little Shimon Thunder Devid Hippo Jedi just drives away without any instruction).

They would have to attend full basic driver training course, and advanced driver training courses. Compulsory to be in wet and dry and icy conditions. You then have to pass your test in each condition.
Cost = Who gives a ****, you want a license you earn it.

These courses would also teach people basic maintanance. How to change a tyre, check oil, radiator, tyre pressures, and windscreen washer fluid. Love a $$ for everytime I've seen someone on side of eastlink unable to change a flat tyre! At least 2 day ??? ???
They would be forced to take 2 weeks tuition in a semi trailer as a passenger - to find out how ****ing hard it can be to stop.

Slightly OT but I agree with your opinion about making it harder for people to get a license. People are not taught to drive they are taught how to pass a test!!

I also think that towing anything should be an additional class on your license a "towing license" if you will.

Offline DRB120

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »

I also think that towing anything should be an additional class on your license a "towing license" if you will.

That is one I strongly agree with, To drive a truck you need a special licence yet anyone can go and buy a BT 50 or something with a large towing capacity and put a 3 tonne van or trailer behind it with no worries and no idea.
2005 Prado 120 & 2013 Jawa Offshore 1