Author Topic: zapped in the shower!!  (Read 5343 times)

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
zapped in the shower!!
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:28:06 PM »
Hi all,

Just had a call from the folks who are heading over east, in their caravan.

Dad was zapped in the shower at Eucla caravan park while in the shower.
Folks phoned the office, was ignorantly told "to use another shower".!

Not an electrician, but I would presume that should oneshower have an issue, all of them would.?
(Happy to be politely corrected)

Dad is fine, but was quite worried.

Info was relayed to me by my mum who was obviously quite concerened and a little panicked.

Take care guys, (I know albanynomads is off across to SA)

Cheers cruisindub.
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: zapped in the shower!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »
We had the same thing at Nanga Station at easter and were given a similar response by the managers.  One of the guys camped there was a sparky and said it was a bad earth and rewired the earth on the building and the problem was then gone.  He said it is generally a safe current as it is 240 volts but pretty much no amps, never the less he said he did not like it either.  He was unimpressed enough to not only fix it but asked the manager if he would care the same amount if he notified the local electrical inspector, to which he got the same non-plused response again.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline welchygq

• "I came, I saw, I locked the hubs"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:28:57 PM »
Hey Guys,

This can be caused by a few differnet things.  A high resistance earth or EP .  Or a lose or open circuit Neutral conducter.

What even it is it needs to be checked by a licenced electrician as there is no guarentee that the voltage wont rise to a potential fatal level.

I would recomend that your Dad tells this to the caravan park operator and if he gets no joy, ring the the electrical safety inspector (be suprised how quickly stuff happens then)

The other thing that needs to be mentioned is the effects of an electric shock can be delayed by up to 24hrs.  I would recomend that he seek medical attention as a precauction.

Please post feedback when you can.

Welchy
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:30:41 PM by welchygq »

Offline Hal Harvey

• Swag User
  • OKA and Red Track
    • Bluewater Tackle World
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:53:50 PM »

Offline cruisindub

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 11:07:01 PM »
Hey Guys,

This can be caused by a few differnet things.  A high resistance earth or EP .  Or a lose or open circuit Neutral conducter.

What even it is it needs to be checked by a licenced electrician as there is no guarentee that the voltage wont rise to a potential fatal level.

I would recomend that your Dad tells this to the caravan park operator and if he gets no joy, ring the the electrical safety inspector (be suprised how quickly stuff happens then)

The other thing that needs to be mentioned is the effects of an electric shock can be delayed by up to 24hrs.  I would recomend that he seek medical attention as a precauction.

Please post feedback when you can.

Welchy

Hi Welchy,

The folks were headed for Ceduna.

I also suggested such things, you know, ring the council, power company etc, kick some action more than the ignorance of the park office.
Folks are like alot of people around, who simply dont want to cause an issue, so just put up with it and unfortunately leave it for the next person to also get zapped, and it ends up with the ignorant response from the park office. Put up with it or change showers.
I wouldnt have accepted it, duty of care and a number of other scenarios.etc
Folks thought they couldnt do anything, so just put up with it seems.

I also stressed to Mum that its lucky he didnt have a dodgy heart or bad ticker or anything, (could imagine somebody with a pacemaker might be having issues) The next bloke might not be so lucky.

It might take a more nasty accident before somebody take more note. Though hope not!

Take Care anybody travelling through there.

Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline welchygq

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
mate can you post, or PM, the name and address of the park?

I will report it to the electrical inspector myself and not say how i know about the situation.

Ignorance when it comes to electricity is what harms, and kills, people.  And further more, people who run a bussiness open to the public should hold public safety in the highest regard "use another shower" is not a good enough response.  If the park owners were to ring an electrician i would bet my left arm they would be there within 30mins.  Or at the very least the shower needed to be made inaccessable.  Heaven forbid, if someone was to get hurt they owners of the park would be in court for years.  And someone would loose a father/mother/sister/child.

I have an obligation , due to my profession, to report such incidents.  I would feel terrible (now that i know about the situation) if someone was to get hurt.

Welchy
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:30:42 PM by welchygq »

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 06:27:14 AM »
we booked to stay at a cp in eucla  many years ago was also told food was available 365 days per year the reason we asked was we where travelling x-mas day on arrival was nothing open a big private party happening with the locals and the cp owner i crashed the party to ask for assistance and was told they decided to shut for the day and we should go else where in the direction we were heading by the sounds of thing i am glad we never stayed i may have got deaded as well
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 07:07:42 AM »
mate can you post, or PM, the name and address of the park?

I will report it to the electrical inspector myself and not say how i know about the situation.

Ignorance when it comes to electricity is what harms, and kills, people.  And further more, people who run a bussiness open to the public should hold public safety in the highest regard "use another shower" is not a good enough response.  If the park owners were to ring an electrician i would bet my left arm they would be there within 30mins.  Or at the very least the shower needed to be made inaccessable.  Heaven forbid, if someone was to get hurt they owners of the park would be in court for years.  And someone would loose a father/mother/sister/child.

I have an obligation , due to my profession, to report such incidents.  I would feel terrible (now that i know about the situation) if someone was to get hurt.

Welchy

Eucla Amber Motor Hotel on (08) 9039 3468

This is the same place a few years ago we put 103LTS in our 95L tank (and NO the bowser didnt click to indicate it was full) same response too. at 2.25/L for diesel, why would they care.......

while its an awesome spot, (great views etc) its worth going the extra 15km or stopping 15km early at border village.

Cheers!!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:09:49 AM by campingwithkids »
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 07:43:02 AM »
We had the same thing at Nanga Station at easter and were given a similar response by the managers.  One of the guys camped there was a sparky and said it was a bad earth and rewired the earth on the building and the problem was then gone.  He said it is generally a safe current as it is 240 volts but pretty much no amps, never the less he said he did not like it either.  He was unimpressed enough to not only fix it but asked the manager if he would care the same amount if he notified the local electrical inspector, to which he got the same non-plused response again.

Whilst it was good that he fixed it the advice he gave was poor.  It is not safe in any way shape or form.  The shock received could have been fatal, 240V systems are 'low impedance' sources so there is plenty of current available to kill you.

As to the cause Welchy is spot on, it is a problem with the earthing system or a disconnected neutral.  Neither can be fixed by anyone other than an electrician.  The park owners attitude is deplorable and needs to be reported before someone gets hurt or killed.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
zapped in the shower!!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:05:18 AM »
Thanks Crusin for the warning in regards to the Eucla caravan park......we just refueled the car with lpg and kept traveling ...... Have arrived in Streaky Bay SA safe.....regards AL Nomads

John
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 10:33:33 AM »
Whilst it was good that he fixed it the advice he gave was poor.  It is not safe in any way shape or form.  The shock received could have been fatal, 240V systems are 'low impedance' sources so there is plenty of current available to kill you.

Cheers, Symon, more likely my understanding and retelling is wrong than his advice, I was only half listening to the conversation as well (three year old and 9 month old make sure of that).  Pretty sure he said he was going to report it.

Most of these remote places work off generators and I think they believe they can do what they like because they are off the grid. 

Eucla and Border town is overrated in my opinion, better to stay at Madura, Cocklebiddy or Mundrabila on the WA side then drive straight on through with a stop for lunch etc at the cliffs.  Even better there are lots of great free camps along there 30 km east of Madura on the north side of the Hwy is about the best one.

Offline cruisindub

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »
Welchy- PM sent. Cheers.
Nomads- Good to hear all going well.
Burnsy- The old folks dont free camp, they are Caravan park type people, for the security. 

Pity they werent looked after this time......

Perhaps if enough people know about it, things will change. Its a shame,

Take Care all,

Offline welchygq

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 06:56:11 PM »
this incident has been reported to the Western Australian department of Energy Safety.

Will let you know if i hear anything.

Welchy

Offline Pirate_Pete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »
this incident has been reported to the Western Australian department of Energy Safety.

Will let you know if i hear anything.

Welchy

Good to hear.

All electrical shocks should be reported to the local electrical inspectorate, no ifs, buts or maybes.

Offline welchygq

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »

Most of these remote places work off generators and I think they believe they can do what they like because they are off the grid. 

On or off the grid makes no difference - still need to follow the wiring rules

Offline Toy pradopetty

• Tent User
zapped in the shower!!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 09:49:09 AM »

X a bazillion. There is no excuse especially when it comes to electric shocks.
They call it the silent killer because you can not see it. You just feel it and by that time more often than not., dead.
Cheers from a concerned sparky
Frank

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »

I realise this and agree, i was just making the point that many of those off the grid think they are above the rules and they don't apply to them.

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »
Just got back from our Sth Oz camping/caching quest and on the way back The Albany Nomads were pushing the Km's a bit and we hit the WA border for our quarantine check at approx 4:15 pm with another drive of approx 20 km to Eucla. (approx 4 days ago)
The other half of the "Nomads"..said lets stay at Eucla C/Van Park for the night..proper showers, have dinner at the hotel, power for a heater etc...sounds good.
When we rocked  up, asked for a power site and spoke to the women who took the bookings..she said "Cant you read the sign" "We are closed for maintenance"..another chap came out of the office who also tried to book in and he was told "Tough luck go else where".

She was a real miserable   B#@*H the way she treated the customers..anyway we kept going and stayed the night in Mundrabilla (67km further down the road)..and had a great night

I wonder if the park was closed due to the electric shock...any way  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:55:48 AM by albany_nomads »
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/