Author Topic: Yet another Jayco Swan Outback 2015  (Read 8396 times)

Offline OutbackSwan

• Learning the Ropes
Yet another Jayco Swan Outback 2015
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:46:38 AM »
Hello and a big thanks to all posters on this forum who, over the past 18 months, have helped in our decision making process. Yes I have been lurking for a long time  ;D

We are a family of 5 (myself, my wife and our 3 children - 7, 4 and 2) and less than 3 weeks ago took possession of a 2015 Jayco Swan Outback and are more than happy with our purchase. We picked the CT up on a Thursday and were out camping for a long weekend near a slow moving creek away from everything the following day for a long weekend. As with all new things, you need to learn how to use them properly and we learnt from that weekend that when it is 2 degrees outside, you need more than a light weight doona to keep you warm! Besides that it was simply superb. The HWS with external shower is just magic when you are used to just going a couple of days with the occasional dip in the creek.

I have been a tent camper all of my life but after a major tent failure due to wind and an ageing tent on a recent trip, we decided that it was time to move from camping to glamping. I was originally hooked on a Trackabout Safari SV Extenda but after borrowing a soft floor camper for a weekend to test it out, we decided that for our family and requirements, the Jayco suited us more. If only I could have both ....

We aren't the sort of family to make a major purchase like this and rarely use it so we already have 5 trips planned before the end of this year ranging from weekend bush camps to BIG4 caravan parks. We plan on spending the next 2 years learning how to get the most out of our CT before embarking on the big one. We are planning a trip up the Qld coast to Yeppoon to visit relatives before heading inland to Carnarvon National Park and from there following The Outback Way right through to Perth before meandering back along the Southern coastline all the way back to Brisbane. We have 4 months up our sleeves for this little adventure and I take great heart from a couple of posts and youtube videos I seen of people doing the Hay River Track with a Jayco Swan Outback. We have a 2007 Prado V6 petrol to pull the CT along but we'll see if that needs an upgrade before we head off into the wilds.

I have only made one very small customisation so far. I bought a fly screen from www.bugoffscreensoz.com and so far it is absolutely terrrific. It has impressed my wife no end. We left the CT up over an entire weekend to season the canvas and with kids running in and out all day, we didn't have any flies or other insects inside at all. When I started packing up I rolled the fly screen up and 2 minutes later I had flies inside so, although not a scientific test, that was good enough for me. It was also fairly windy and the flyscreen didn't blow open in the wind so a big thumbs up from us although I am thinking about purchasing a second one as a spare as they don't look or feel that durable, especially with 3 kids running in and out all day long, but time will tell.

Next on my list for customising is Skytracks (I'm a bit scare of drilling anything into my ceiling at the moment), drawers for my cupboard and a tent pole holder (thinking about making one out of marine grade ply so if anyone thinks that is a silly idea than glad to hear about it) that fits the limited space under the 2015 model front boot.

Michael
2007 Prado V6
2015 Jayco Swan Outback
The following users thanked this post: grc, Mprice78

Offline Mprice78

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Yet another Jayco Swan Outback 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 11:25:25 PM »
Waiting for ours to arrive at the start of December......1 week before our xmas booking at Maroochy.

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 07:37:54 AM »
Congrats & welcome aboard to a great forum

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline OutbackSwan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »
Mpice78 - We ordered ours in June at the Caravan and Camping show in Brisbane and booked our first trip soon after for the 11th of September and through divine intervention or pure luck (take your pick), we did the handover on the 10th of September and were away for our first trip less than 24 hours later.

Swannie - Thanks mate. Been reading and enjoying your posts for a long time now.
2007 Prado V6
2015 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »
Hi Michael
It sounds a lot like our house at the moment we took possession of our Jayco Swan Outback 10.09.2015, and loving it.  Our first trip is planned for Rainbow Beach to drop in at the Myswag Meet. Since picking it up I have placed 3 x pole holders on the front A frame, you can fit 2 x 100m pipes under the vans body and a third 150m pipe at the front refer to my post in my camper trailer for pics.  I put Aus-mesh under both mattresses to give a 10m gap for airflow between mattress and timber.  Its not cheep but I suppose prevention for mould is better than cure.  I am really interested in your fly screen, how did you mount it.   
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

Offline OutbackSwan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 09:16:51 PM »
Hi Sixpack.

I was eagerly following the progress of your posts before deciding to properly join the forum and stop lurking about. I saw the pictures of your 3 mounted pole holders but I have the need/desire/want to make something myself from scratch. Given the time constraints with 3 young kids I should probably just accept that there is no time and the best I can do is screw on some shop bought pole holders so I will probably follow your lead.

We bought the fly screen because we found that having to keep the door closed all the time made the people inside the van feel cut off from what was going on outside, even when the windows were unzipped. Keeping the door open feels much nicer but we ended up with a cabin full of insects on our first weekend which wasn't great.

The fly screen attaches via velcro tape that is supplied in the kit. There is a about 15 or 16 small pieces that you stick in strategic positions to keep the fly screen straight at the top and taut and attached to either side of the door frame. The fly screen is then attached to the 15 or 16 pieces that you stuck all over the door frame. Given the shape of the Swan door I was a little sceptical but in reality there is only 1 way you can put this fly screen on (it is the 56cm x 80cm screen) so it was quite straight forward and it worked a lot better than I expected. I don't know how long the velcro tape will stay attached to the fly screen nor how long it will take for the kids (or my wife) to destroy it but if I can get 6 months out of it then I will be happy.

I have attached an image (I hope - it doesn't show up in preview) to show what the fly screen looks like from the outside. If you like I can take a picture from the inside as well.

Cheers,
Michael
2007 Prado V6
2015 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline Palmer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 10:02:26 PM »
Good to see another swan on board.
We picked up a similar flatscreen.  We're taking ours out for its first real run on the weekend so we'll see how it goes for us.

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 10:40:07 PM »
Thanks Michael looks great from the outside Think I might have to get one.  Inside shot would be good if it is no trouble mate. 
Cheers Terry.

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 11:46:20 AM »
Just ordered one thanks Michael. 
Cheers Terry.

Offline OutbackSwan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
No worries Sixpack. I will get that internal photo for you this afternoon as I am packing it away this afternoon after doing my "seasoning" this week and getting ready for trip #2.
2007 Prado V6
2015 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 03:40:41 PM »
Welcome.....good to have you on board

Cheers Tracker.
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline OutbackSwan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »
Thanks Michael looks great from the outside Think I might have to get one.  Inside shot would be good if it is no trouble mate.

Internal photos of the fly screen attached. As you can see, it fits very well. It won't stop 100% of insects, particularly the really small ones, but it is much better than nothing. The 2nd image shows where the 2 door sections join and I had to hook it over the side.
2007 Prado V6
2015 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline Spud7017

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 10:40:58 PM »
Michael, are you happy with the quality ?
These are a few of my favourite things.....😉
VW Amarok Highline
BRS Offroad Hybrid Van
Elsie the English Staffy
KTM 1190R Adventure

Offline Colmano

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Our trip to Cape York: www.rifftotip.wordpress.com
    • Follow our trip to the Cape...
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 10:41:56 PM »
Welcome  :cheers:
2010 Toyota Prado GXL V6 4.0i - 2015 Jayco Swan Outback
Check out our recent 2016 trip - Penrith to Uluru: www.rifftorock.wordpress.com

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 10:50:31 PM »
Thanks Michael appreciate it mate. 
Cheers Terry.

Offline OutbackSwan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 09:46:29 PM »
Michael, are you happy with the quality ?

I'm heading off tomorrow for a week in the CT. The screen will cop a pounding from the kids so I will let you know in a week how well it held up.
2007 Prado V6
2015 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline OutbackSwan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 08:18:20 PM »
Just spent a week in the Swan and the fly screen held up well. I had to re-attach the velcro a couple of times but it was very good. If only it could keep out the ants! Surface spray along the underside of the van sorted them out pretty quickly though.
2007 Prado V6
2015 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline grc

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 05:50:28 PM »
Welcome to myswag great to see the photos off the fly screen
Have a mate with a jayco will past on the information

CHEERS GRC   :cheers:

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
Good to hear you love the Swan, happy camping. 👌
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Mprice78

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 11:09:59 PM »
2 more sleeps until pickup.  :cheers:

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 07:09:14 AM »
Hi Michael, Welcome a board I am a newie too, What sort of money are the the new ones worth, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer