Author Topic: Watched from afar now time to say hi....  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Tbone

• Learning the Ropes
Watched from afar now time to say hi....
« on: September 05, 2015, 04:45:23 PM »
I feel it is time to introduce myself and say hi after watching anonymously for some time as I am now a camper owner....or almost!

I have driven the tracks and camped extensively in SE Qld with my wifey and 2 boys but our latest addition....another boy  ;D has pushed us into the camper scene. After some extensive deliberation (maybe 3-4yrs worth, might be longer) I eventually settled on the Drifta Offroad Tourer (DOT6) which I am picking up from Luke on the 23rd of this month. We are simple campers and want to keep it that way so the DOT6 made perfect sense, just makes it easier to hitch up, setup and pack up.

We are northsiders living on the southside (of Brisbane) who are keen for many trips out. Not adverse to going on our own but also love sharing it with other like minded people.

The best place I have camped to date - Sandy Cape, Fraser Island - May 2014. This was 2 weeks in to our 3 week Fraser trip and it was unreal. If you haven't got up there you must go. You can watch the sunrise and sunset both over water from the exact same spot on the beach....bliss

The worst place I have camped - Doesn't exist. It is what you make it but there have been some very testing weekends away for sure. Weather hasn't always been the kindest. If I had to name 1 it was Australia Day 2013, doesn't matter where it was though because if anyone else was camping that weekend in SE Qld I am sure they would agree.

Dream Trip - Half way round...Home - The cape - Kakadu - Down the middle - High country - Home

What my new camper will bring - I am challenging myself that after we set it up our own way that we camp somewhere different every weekend for a year. This means I may be piggybacking on some of your trips if you don't mind. What better way to meet people. This will probably become my 2016 New Years resolution....hopefully I keep this one!

That is all folks....looking forward to some unreal memories and hopefully new mates

Cheers :cheers:

Drifta Offroad Tourer 6
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
"Life is like riding a bicycle, To keep your balance you must keep moving"

Offline kenny

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Watched from afar now time to say hi....
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 05:28:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum Tbone. Drifta have been making some good gear over the years so should be wright  with the Offroad Tourer.

Camping every weekend sounds good to me  :cheers:

Ken

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »
Welcome to myswag tbone, sounds like you'll fit right in around here.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

KingBilly

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 05:35:52 PM »
G'day and welcome to myswag.  Drifta make some exceptional gear and Luke is one of the nicest people I have met.  You won't be dissappointed in the new DOT  :cup:

Happy camping
KB

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 05:39:17 PM »
Welcome aboard, Tbone and family...

Its great that you guys have signed on after watching for a while...      :D

I am from Brisvagas as well - quite a few of us on here are from there ...     ;D

Loved your description of the perfect camp at Fraser...    couldn't agree more...     :cheers:

Cheers & beers,
BaseCamp

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 12:11:04 AM »
G'Day "Tbone and welcome....I totally agree with your statement about your worst camping place....." It does not exist "...... ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Tracker.
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline Trailer Bloke

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • You never know what's around the corner
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 07:50:38 AM »
G'day mate yeah I agree last Easter we camped at one mile beach it pissed down and very windy but the C T stood up well and we had a good time any day camping beats any day working.
Cheers Jon
Toyota Kluger towing a Ezytrail Tarwin http://gallery.myswag.org/gallery/v/Trailer+Bloke/

Offline trngia

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »
Fantastic.  I too have a DOT 6 arriving in October so a longer wait for me.  Would be interested to know what spec you went for and your first impressions when it arrives :-). 

Offline Tbone

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 11:11:39 PM »
Fantastic.  I too have a DOT 6 arriving in October so a longer wait for me.  Would be interested to know what spec you went for and your first impressions when it arrives :-). 

Went the DOT 6 with the following
- All Black (instead of army green) to match black wrangler.
- Second water tank plumbed separately. This is so we can keep drinking water separate from showers etc. Gives us the option to pump into second tank from creek etc without contaminating drinking water.
- Dople light poles
- Kitchen with fridge upgrade
- Dual batteries
- 2Kva Honda Generator
- Wheel track to match Jeep
- Redarc BMS
- Also getting custom drawer system, second fridge, trailer brakes, and redarc dual battery system for the jeep fitted at the same time. Dual battery within drawer system

Anthony (new manager @ Drifta) shot through a couple of photos the other day. It doesn't seem like much yet and with only 2 weeks to delivery I would usually be worried but trust that they know a lot better than I do how long it takes. I have no idea how to include pictures but I will if someone can explain how (or point me to a thread that can) I would be happy to share
Drifta Offroad Tourer 6
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
"Life is like riding a bicycle, To keep your balance you must keep moving"

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 11:51:07 PM »
Welcome Tbone, look forward to seeing some pics of your set up.
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

Offline trngia

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 11:45:08 AM »
Sounds fantastic. I have gone for black as well so will be great to see your photos once it's ready.  Always interesting to see what add ons people have gone for. 

I went for the following. 
- fridge in kitchen with the modified awning etc. to go with it.
- dual battery setup
- projecta DC to DC charger
- project foldable solar panel
- fitting for some small gas canisters (the Coleman ones) onto the back of the canopy

Didn't realise they could fit a second water tank so might try to get this added before the build starts.  We have a shower too and was going to be limited on 80litres and need to carry more water containers. 

Sounds like a great setup.  I looked into matching my Land Rover discovery wheels but as usual nothing was going to be easy with a Land Rover so have decided against it :-). 

Rich.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 08:35:14 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, enjoy your stay

GG