Author Topic: Toowoomba family planning 3 month trip  (Read 3178 times)

Offline solar3

• Learning the Ropes
Toowoomba family planning 3 month trip
« on: January 25, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »
Hello All Myswagers,  Our family of 4 - Mum, Dad, Daughter 6, Son 3 - have just purchased a '08 Camel Beachcomber, and are planning a 3month trip south and are only a little bit excited :laugh:! We are aiming for Highlands NSW, the mouth of the murray, Lake Mungo, Grampians, Victorian Coast, and a goodly chunk of Tasmania.  Wanting to head off early spring and end up in Tassie early summer.  Given where we live, we are used to below zero nights, so think we can cope with Tasmanian weather.
We are seeking out info/tips about travelling with children in a CT.....  We are negotiating with school about how often we use the computer to 'join' the class and what she will need to do for school.  Our little boy needs the routine of having a predictable place to sleep everynight, so a CT seemed to be a good solution and we plan LOTS of smaller trips to help before we head off for the longer one.  We are novice CT'ers but have spent months looking and asking questions, and as we learn more, we find we just have more questions! Must go off line and get the Ct insured! Cheers,  Deb and Malcolm and kids.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: Toowoomba family planning 3 month trip
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
Welcome Deb and Malcolm and kids!

Nice to hear more people are converting to the CT way of life.  Sounds like a wonderful trip you'll be having.  If you are interested in a few places I've been ... head to my blog:  http://kit-ecamping.blogspot.com/.  I try to add another place every few weeks but sometimes we like to go back to somewhere we've been before.

Enjoy your planning ...

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:11:47 PM »
Gday Solar3 and welcome to My Swag, sounds like a great trip you have planned there. Have loads of fun and remember the pics when you get back  :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:41:30 PM »
Solar3  Good on you , taking a short trip to shake down the CT . The 3 month trip will be an easy start to the bigger 1 you are really planing . Pack up , Hook up  & Make Dust  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline tropicbird54

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Yay! CT owner at last!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:18:12 PM »
Hi Deb, Malcolm and kids - welcome to Myswag from the tropics and congrats on your ct purchase. How exciting.  And even more exciting is the trip planning you are doing - that's awesome!!    Hubby and I are awaiting our first ct and our first "big" trip will be to the NT in July to visit our son, daughter-in-law and the 2 grandkids and then a camping trip across the Gulf with them and another family (friends of theirs, who are from NSW).  We are so looking forward to it, so I understand how excited you all are. 
Good luck with all your planning and look forward to hearing about your adventures.
Cheers
Sharyn & Lester

Offline solar3

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 06:41:35 PM »
What a lovely welcome to Myswag!  Yep, we are planning lots of pics (will be blogging along the way) and getting the kids involved in the list of must sees/dos....exciting to hear from others planning trips too.

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 06:54:07 PM »
Welcome and Enjoy.

We have experience camping in a CT that long pre-dates my kids but it is totally different when they come along. I find that they need things to do when you are setting up and packing up. My son needs his bike off first and my daughter helps with the jobs. But thats these days and things are easier than when they were little. Give that some serious thought. If you can occupy the 2 of them the 2 adults can halve the jobs. I know others who take it in turns to watch the kids while the other does "their" jobs and it seems to take them almost the whole trip to get set up or packed up.

Also, our big trips have meant time away from school but never with school work. I have been told by the teachers that they will learn more on the road than in the class room. Mind you that was in primary school - I haven't pulled Miss 13 out of high school. She did do a diary, collages, mapping (we got a HUGE map of Aus) and she had a camera (a cheap point and shoot digital).

In the car I found a DVD player a good thing but with the age and gender difference if I did that again I would get separate ones. Also in the car sticker books, music and car games.

I think the short trips will help you all to get the hang of the good life and I am envious (I just got back today and want to go again). Just do it!

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline mark40

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
Sounds like a great trip. Don't forget to the pics. I reckon your kids will love it. When our kids find out we are going camping they will sleep in their "tomorrow" clothes becasue it saves time. Enjoy the trip

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 04:37:53 PM »
Solar 3 Welcome
My kids where 11,14,15 when we did cenral Aust over 4 weeks (I wanted to take 6 weeks the Boss won that debate) I would suggest if you see a good looking play ground to break the trip use it.
Grizzly

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 07:26:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

:cheers:
Rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 08:05:37 PM »
G'day & Welcome, and all the best for your trip.

My daughter, 7, got an iPod Touch for Xmas. This has maps, games, music and entertainment, but also a camera with video which she loves to use when we're out n about. She loves to take photos of our trips and the things she sees and discovers.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails