Author Topic: Australian Made from now on, who's in?  (Read 26352 times)

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
Re: Australian Made from now on, who's in?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 03:45:27 PM »
Sorry mate, gotta draw the line somewhere.  :cheers:

;D >:( ;D >:( ;D
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 03:57:55 PM »
Just had a look, & Golden Circle is still labelled Product of Australia.

As we all know, what that actually means is anyone's guess! ::) >:(

Our neighbour is a GC grower. We have a few of our own for self consumption, which are his descendants, so to speak.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 04:44:29 PM »
Well then.

Seems like most of you have just given up on Australia. :-X
Wonder how many of the knockers sit behind their keyboards and whinge about China buying up large parcels of land and Aussie businesses?

Do what ever you like well. >:(
Just trying to  help get the country going again  :-\

Not giving up on Australia at all. Just a realist.

We provide an awful lot of essentials to other countries. Minerals  and gas, food and fibre. The wealth generated by that is substantial and  we benefit from it, though not as much as we might as we have a tax system that allows overseas owned corporations to shift profits.

By all means do your best to support local businesses, but I for one don't think I can live in a bubble. 

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 04:56:57 PM »
I suppose if you can't buy Australian made maybe at least buy from Australian companies.

As far as groceries go, that rules out Aldi. Not sure about the share register of Coles and Woolworths but a local independent grocer should pass that test.

The beer industry is dominated by overseas companies  (even some of the so-called craft brewers are foreign owned) and what about Scotch whiskey?

It's a noble sentiment but sadly  a bit late in the game.
agree all through.. like "australian made" which doesnt mean Shit anymore, as long as it touched the ground in AU its considered made in AU.

HOw do you know what companies are Aussie owned now... I know there wouldnt be many in daily life..
Fuel companies?
Clothing stores?
Food?
Drink?
Automotive?
I guess you can get a house made here...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 05:08:00 PM »
agree all through.. like "australian made" which doesnt mean Shit anymore, as long as it touched the ground in AU its considered made in AU.

HOw do you know what companies are Aussie owned now... I know there wouldnt be many in daily life..
Fuel companies?
Clothing stores?
Food?
Drink?
Automotive?
I guess you can get a house made here...
There use to be a little booklet(sorry can't remember the name of it) that Woolies/Coles had available(where they sold the trash mags) that listed all the products and what was Australian owned/grown/packaged.
Does it still exist or has it been canned?
Maybe the supermarket chains needs to step up?
They want to be seen to be apart of the communitty, hmm here is their chance.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 05:29:46 PM »
Well then.

Seems like most of you have just given up on Australia. :-X
Wonder how many of the knockers sit behind their keyboards and whinge about China buying up large parcels of land and Aussie businesses?

Do what ever you like well. >:(
Just trying to  help get the country going again  :-\

Hey Mark, I agree.
I'm certainly no expert and don't even claim to be a good keyboard warrior, but I have a less than expert opinion, I'd like to offer......  :-[ :-[ :-[

No we can't all buy "all Australian" all the time, or use local only or any of the other extremes that judgers seem to post as a yard stick.
What I have done though is committed myself to doing the absolute best I can as often as I can.
I try to use local. I try to buy local and shop local.
When I go grocery shopping I use Aldi. Yes they are German owned and profits go offshore, but if you have a look a lot of the stuff they have is aussie grown or made. So at least some profit goes to a local and it stimulates our economy.
I also made a commitment to make sure all presents I buy for xmas or birthdays are 100% Aussie. It's a tough gig, but I'm proudly doing it.
No we can't be perfect, no we can't always afford Aussie, but if we all commit to trying the best we can make it can work.

I bought a new propeller for my boat last week. Made in Taiwan, but through a company is Queensland. Could't afford an Aussie made stainless stell one, but paid a little bit extra to get this one over an ebay import or 100% offshore profit.
Am I perfect? Hell no. Am I trying - Hell yeah.

I am always supporting local whenever I can and yes it cost a "Little" bit more, but not much.
It also amazes me what you get in return. Local IGA bloke bends over backwards to get what you want. Supports a lot of local sports teams and delivers to people in need for free.
Also gives a lot to the local church for homeless food nights, and nobody knows apparently (but we all do!)
He lent his car to a dad who's car broke down while his wife was in hospital so he could still work and go see her. So yes, his chips are 40c more, but I don't care.
Overall the balance to the community is a huge bonus.

So in a nutshell - Perfect - No. trying - Yes.
If we all did it, we could,,,, ummmmmm what was is Trump said - Make America Australia great again.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!
The following users thanked this post: MarkGU, Spada, Harbourmaster

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »
Just had a look, & Golden Circle is still labelled Product of Australia.

As we all know, what that actually means is anyone's guess! ::) >:(

If you have a close look, depends on the product. Some is aussie made and some are NZ/ Thailand made.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 05:41:43 PM »
Hey Mark, I agree.
I'm certainly no expert and don't even claim to be a good keyboard warrior, but I have a less than expert opinion, I'd like to offer......  :-[ :-[ :-[

No we can't all buy "all Australian" all the time, or use local only or any of the other extremes that judgers seem to post as a yard stick.
What I have done though is committed myself to doing the absolute best I can as often as I can.
I try to use local. I try to buy local and shop local.
When I go grocery shopping I use Aldi. Yes they are German owned and profits go offshore, but if you have a look a lot of the stuff they have is aussie grown or made. So at least some profit goes to a local and it stimulates our economy.
I also made a commitment to make sure all presents I buy for xmas or birthdays are 100% Aussie. It's a tough gig, but I'm proudly doing it.
No we can't be perfect, no we can't always afford Aussie, but if we all commit to trying the best we can make it can work.

I bought a new propeller for my boat last week. Made in Taiwan, but through a company is Queensland. Could't afford an Aussie made stainless stell one, but paid a little bit extra to get this one over an ebay import or 100% offshore profit.
Am I perfect? Hell no. Am I trying - Hell yeah.

I am always supporting local whenever I can and yes it cost a "Little" bit more, but not much.
It also amazes me what you get in return. Local IGA bloke bends over backwards to get what you want. Supports a lot of local sports teams and delivers to people in need for free.
Also gives a lot to the local church for homeless food nights, and nobody knows apparently (but we all do!)
He lent his car to a dad who's car broke down while his wife was in hospital so he could still work and go see her. So yes, his chips are 40c more, but I don't care.
Overall the balance to the community is a huge bonus.

So in a nutshell - Perfect - No. trying - Yes.
If we all did it, we could,,,, ummmmmm what was is Trump said - Make America Australia great again.
Great post Briann532. See, thats what im talking about.I completely understand one cant buy 100 % Aussie made stuff all of the time, BUT, we should be buying Aussie made stuff where we can.Glad at least one swagger is trying  :laugh: .Every journey begins with the first step...........
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2020, 06:17:59 PM »
Great post Briann532. See, thats what im talking about.I completely understand one cant buy 100 % Aussie made stuff all of the time, BUT, we should be buying Aussie made stuff where we can.Glad at least one swagger is trying  :laugh: .Every journey begins with the first step...........

I think a lot do their own little bit.
A lot of my canned stuff will be aussie made if I can......Edgell beetroot , Cambells soup......etc, but very hard to find stuff made in Australia.
Fruit and vegies...mostly aussie, but Oranges.....nice navels are rare as hens teeth...have to put up with Egypt or USA ones most of the time, and they are NOT nice.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2020, 08:06:17 PM »
nice navels are rare as hens teeth

Dunno about that Gronk ???

See quite a few of them whenever we (used) go down to the beach ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2020, 08:19:29 PM »
My thoughts on this.

Unfortunatly  the ship has sailed along time ago regarding buying Australian made.

We have to remember we are living in a technology era. The good old days of living off the sheep’s back are finished. Now I am not being a pessimist, but a realist.

We can try and buy Australian made and encourage Australian companies to build factories but the costs involved are too expensive. Hence companies going off shore to keep costs down. As Australians, our living standards are high, we have been spoilt to the extent where we want the latest and greatest, we need an average wage of at least $50k to $70k a year per person, to live comfortable in a nice house and we can pay for the basic utilities and have some spending money as well. Add 2 kids and people just manage to make ends meet. Regretfully the lifestyle we are used to gets harder and harder and to make ends meet on many occasions. Been though it myself. The amount of disposable money left each week gets smaller and we want bargains or lower priced goods to fulfill our needs.

Being a camping forum, most camping gear is made over seas. Regarding camper trailers, Australian made is close to 3 times the price of imports and this helps people enjoy the camping lifestyle by having a choice of lower priced campers. I have no issues with that.

We are all going through uncharted waters with what is happening not just in Australia but world wide. Non one has ever experienced the lockdowns Australia is in, ever. Businesses that are not essential but are classified as a treat or luxury will suffer the most and some will close for good. We will come out of this but it will take some time to bounce back, a year or even longer. Everyone’s super has suffered and yes we have all lost many many thousands of $$. Yes our super will bounce back but the money lost will never be recouperated.

Now all this will have an impact on our spending in the coming years. Hence Australian made goods will suffer even further due to the slow recovery as people will determine whether to spend the $$ on imports or pay extra on more expensive Australian goods. I expect 90% will go the cheaper imports regretfully to get back to some resemblance of normality prior to the virus.

But, we have an opportunity to change this and push for people to buy Australian made goods and help build our economy but with what we have seen, with the way people have acted over the last couple of months, being extremely selfish and looking after them selves only with no regard for anyone else, we have little chance. I just hope I am wrong.

Now my thoughts on foreign owned assets.

Yes we will always have foreign companies buying businesses, land and Australian assets. Have they been controlled properly, no. We have to consider what foreign companies do we want buying in Australia. Now before we all say none, think again. If some foreign owned companies did not buy in Australia some of the businesses etc would be gone for good. We do not have the population or enough millionaires to buy every big business that is on the market. As mentioned it needs to be regulated a lot better. That is something we cannot control but only our elected Govt. The FIRB laws need to be a lot stricter.

I suppose we need to decide who we are happy to have invest in Australia : China, Japan, America, Russia, Canada, Britain, India etc.

Now here is an example: if you had a large business and it was approved by the Govt for a foreign investor to buy and they offered you incredible money , would you sell to them.

Mark (Isolated)

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2020, 09:53:15 PM »
Quote from: McGirr
we have been spoilt to the extent where we want the latest and greatest, we need an average wage of at least $50k to $70k a year per person, to live comfortable in a nice house and we can pay for the basic utilities and have some spending money as well. Add 2 kids and people just manage to make ends meet. \

I think you've been living remote far too long - bout 20yrs. 50k wouldnt do 1 person at all... let alone a mortgage and missus and kids.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 06:33:59 AM »
I also think the forgotten part of the equation is how many Aussies work for foreign owned companies. I work in the mining industry that is predominately foreign owned however they employ thousands upon thousands of people who all pay tax, invest (at least some), own or rent houses, buy food, buy fuel etc.

Yes the foreign owned make profits but as Mark said if they didn't invest capital then these businesses possibly wouldn't exist as there aren't enough Aussie millionaires / billionaires.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2020, 08:15:00 AM »
Yes we will always have foreign companies buying businesses, land and Australian assets. Have they been controlled properly, no. We have to consider what foreign companies do we want buying in Australia. Now before we all say none, think again. If some foreign owned companies did not buy in Australia some of the businesses etc would be gone for good. We do not have the population or enough millionaires to buy every big business that is on the market. As mentioned it needs to be regulated a lot better. That is something we cannot control but only our elected Govt. The FIRB laws need to be a lot stricter.

They're on to that one, at least, Mark :D

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-29/foreign-investment-restrictions-australian-assets-coronavirus/12101332

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 08:25:34 AM »
50k wouldnt do 1 person at all... let alone a mortgage and missus and kids.

I keep seeing comment like that (not having a go at you, Bird!) & wonder every time ???

The best paying job I've ever had topped out at ~$56k, & that was while my Mrs was at home looking after 2 kids, & only getting FTB in., then it's just been 2 x Newstart.

BUT, we've paid off our mortgage, raised 2 kids, most of time we've had 2 cars, CT & now a van, go away (at least used to :'() usually 4-5 times a year for 5 nights or so, & pretty well have everything we need. No, we don't have the latest & greatest bit's of high-tech, but what we have is good enough for us. No, we don't go on overseas holidays or fly interstate, we drive when we go away. Yes, we had a few things went right that helped us do all that.

Yes, we're happy & content! ;D

Would an income of $100k be nice - yes, of course it would! Do we need it ??? Nup! ;D

The following users thanked this post: boobook

CTL

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2020, 10:24:04 AM »
What about food items for a start?
Buy only Aussie food stuffs and leave the china crap on the shelves.

Please provide some examples of Chinese sourced food items on the shelves in the supermarket?  I think they would be pretty rare.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2020, 10:34:14 AM »
When you start looking at the Foreign Ownership it is interesting.  Figures from 2017-18

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »
Chinese sourced foods on supermarket shelves??????
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »
I think a lot do their own little bit.
A lot of my canned stuff will be aussie made if I can......Edgell beetroot , Cambells soup......etc, but very hard to find stuff made in Australia.
Fruit and vegies...mostly aussie, but Oranges.....nice navels are rare as hens teeth...have to put up with Egypt or USA ones most of the time, and they are NOT nice.

About Us

Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB) is a multi-national food company headquartered in Camden, N.J.,

https://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/about-campbell/  ;D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2020, 12:03:17 PM »
When you start looking at the Foreign Ownership it is interesting.  Figures from 2017-18

How do you have foreign owned water ???

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2020, 12:38:49 PM »
Quote from: Fizzie
Business that rely on water...
Coke for their bottled water (a town here in Vic sold their water rights to coke for $$), and others - Cotton farms etc.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2020, 12:43:13 PM »

thats why the Darling doesn't flow, there's money to be made from water rights, and foreign food producing companies are paying to secure water for their farms - https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/water-restrictions-for-you-an-endless-supply-for-them-how-a-foreign-corporate-giant-is-snapping-up-89-billion-litres-of-australias-h20-as-the-country-suffers-its-worst-drought-ever/ar-AAK1s9j
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2020, 01:03:05 PM »
Thanks!

I always thought that was only the right to use water, not actual ownership of it :-[ >:(

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2020, 01:06:36 PM »
Now if we're all up for a good conspiracy theory ... ???

Just got this from a mate:

"Why Italy and Iran?
Italy and Iran have been two of the countries hardest hit by the Wuhan coronavirus, outside of China. Why? Helen Raleigh explains at The Federalist:

The reason these two countries are suffering the most outside China is mainly due to their close ties with Beijing, primarily through the “One Belt and One Road” (OBOR) initiative.

OBOR is Beijing’s foreign policy play disguised as infrastructure investment. Here’s how it works: China and country X agree to do an infrastructure project in country X. Country X has to borrow from a Chinese bank to finance the project. A contract is always awarded to Chinese companies, which then bring supplies and Chinese employees to country X to build the project.

As a result of One Belt and One Road, there are more than 300,000 Chinese living in Italy.

Almost exactly a year ago in March 2019, against warnings from the EU and the United States, Italy became the first and only G7 country to sign onto OBOR. As part of the deal, Italy opened an array of sectors to Chinese investment, from infrastructure to transportation, including letting Chinese state-owned companies hold a stake in four major Italian ports. …

Lombardy and Tuscany are the two regions that saw the most Chinese investment. Nearly a year later, the first Wuhan coronavirus infection case in Italy was reported in the Lombardy region on Feb. 21. Today, Italy is experiencing the worst coronavirus outbreak outside China, and Lombardy is the hardest-hit region in the country.

The Iran case is interesting as well:

2019 was the year Iran officially signed up to OBOR. China sees Iran as a crucial player to this initiative because Iran is not only rich in oil but also lies in a direct path of an ambitious 2,000-mile railroad China wants to build, which will run from western China through Tehran and Turkey into Europe.

Today, Iranian health officials trace the country’s coronavirus outbreak to Qom, a city of a million people. According to the Wall Street Journal, “China Railway Engineering Corp. Is building a $2.7 billion high-speed rail line through Qom. Chinese technicians have been helping refurbish a nuclear-power plant nearby.” Iranian medical professionals suspect either Chinese workers in Qom or an Iranian businessman who travelled to China from Qom caused the spread of the coronavirus in Qom.

News reports indicate that a number of high Iranian officials have contracted coronavirus, and I believe at least one or two have died. Raleigh explains:

Although on Feb. 1 the Iranian government banned its airlines from flying to China, it made an exception for Mahan Air, an unofficial airline for the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The WSJ reported that Mahan Air “had carried out eight flights between Tehran and China between Feb. 1 and Feb. 9 to transfer Chinese and Iranian passengers to their respective home countries.” This explains why so many high-level Iranian officials are infected by the coronavirus, including First Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri and more than 20 lawmakers

Relying on China for economic development was never a good idea, but it turned out to be more dangerous than we knew."

Interesting theory, but who knows ???