Author Topic: My tips for establishing an on-line forum?  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
My tips for establishing an on-line forum?
« on: July 06, 2015, 10:10:25 PM »
Looking to establish an on-line forum, and looking for any tips with regard to software, 'how to', etc.
The interest area is foster care, am hoping to do it fairly cheaply, as we are all volunteers.
Any help greatly appreciated.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: My tips for establishing an on-line forum?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 10:56:05 PM »
I've got a mate who's run a forum in the states for over 10 years barry.
If you need any help I'm sure he'd be glad to help

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 06:38:36 AM »
Looking to establish an on-line forum, and looking for any tips with regard to software, 'how to', etc.
The interest area is foster care, am hoping to do it fairly cheaply, as we are all volunteers.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Google pro boards.  You can set up a free online forum there.

Here. https://proboards.com
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Goose

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Life turns on a dime.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:30:24 AM »
You have 2 broad options.

You can use a service such as proboards, who will do most of the hard work for you.

Or if you have some IT skills (or someone in your community does), the key steps to DIY are:
 - get familiar with running a forum, plenty written on the web about this
 - pick an available domain name and put together a basic plan for your community, including your budget, theme, rules etc
 - look at the available forum software (such as SMF which runs this site and is free, or vBulletin which is widely used but has a charge etc)
 - look around for web hosting companies that will support the forum you picked
     -- ring the host and ask if they support vBulletin, SMF
     -- check that they are in your budget
     -- look for one that lets you start small and grow to a bigger hosting plan as the site grows
 - register domain and signup with the webhost company to host it
 - install forum software on your site
 - modify and theme your forum to suit your community (alternatively pay for theme to be created just for you)
 - start promoting the forum within your community

Goose

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:40:39 AM »
We started www.ozisuzu.com.au a few months ago and it was quite simple really. The key to a good forum is obviously its members and their participation.

We simply went to a local web hosting company and signed up for a starter account.

This account has 'Cpanel' which has many different types of free forum software on them for you to easily install. We went with SMF which incidentally is the same as Myswag uses.

Once the forum is installed, you easily set it up according to your needs, add a nice pretty theme if you don't like the default colours etc and start inviting members to join up.

I find it is important to keep a forum Family friendly (which clearly yours would be), allow different views to be discussed but don't allow any personal attacks and your half way there.

After a short period of time you will get a lot of members and your forum will start using quite a bit of bandwidth and storage space, especially if you allow photos. When this happens you need to usually start paying more money for a better package  ;D

I hope that helps.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:42:48 AM »
I would add, choose your domain name early and purchase it straightaway.

You'll find there are more and more tools and people out there that monitor domain name searches, and cybersquatters who will get wind of your search and then possible increase the cost.   eg  you want mydomain.com so you search to see if its available. It is, at only $10. You go away have a think, and then come back later to register it,. Low and behold it now costs $100 or $500.  Or someone has surprisingly taken it but will sell it to you for only $5000.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »
Have a talk  with Troopie Pete from   http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net/showthread.php?tid=210 a he is also on here occasionaly
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 03:04:11 PM »
We started www.ozisuzu.com.au a few months ago and it was quite simple really. The key to a good forum is obviously its members and their participation.

We simply went to a local web hosting company and signed up for a starter account.

This account has 'Cpanel' which has many different types of free forum software on them for you to easily install. We went with SMF which incidentally is the same as Myswag uses.

Once the forum is installed, you easily set it up according to your needs, add a nice pretty theme if you don't like the default colours etc and start inviting members to join up.

I find it is important to keep a forum Family friendly (which clearly yours would be), allow different views to be discussed but don't allow any personal attacks and your half way there.

After a short period of time you will get a lot of members and your forum will start using quite a bit of bandwidth and storage space, especially if you allow photos. When this happens you need to usually start paying more money for a better package  ;D

I hope that helps.

time for us Toyota owners to load heaps of photos of prados on this isuzu forum
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »
I've setup several over time, there is Vbulletin and SMF are the main 2... SMF is easiest..

just watch your rectum with legalities going onto that area your thinking of...

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »
I've setup several over time, there is Vbulletin and SMF are the main 2... SMF is easiest..

just watch your rectum with legalities going onto that area your thinking of...
I know what you mean about the legalities Bruce, and of necessity the Admin will be a bit like on another camping web site we know of.  The site won't be for rants like we are all capable of at times, but to help carers organise to fix some of the real problems in the system, such as kids under 7 having no voice and carers not being given the opportunity to speak up for them.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »
SMF is easiest..
Yep agree, I have screwed around with a couple and have found SMF to be pretty easy to use.
Good luck with it and I wish you well.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »
You might have a lot of hurdles to jump.
Could be all sorts of privacy issues for the kids. Probably can't use names, photos or anything else that may identify them. Might extend as far as what town they came from, particularly for rural areas.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
You might have a lot of hurdles to jump.
Could be all sorts of privacy issues for the kids. Probably can't use names, photos or anything else that may identify them. Might extend as far as what town they came from, particularly for rural areas.
I appreciate your concerns, however it will be a fairly 'close(d)' group.
Certainly no photos or names, primarily organisation to build sufficient focussed activity to achieve change.