Author Topic: 20 years ago  (Read 7392 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
20 years ago
« on: August 31, 2017, 07:23:40 PM »
Watching the news just now and 20 years ago today it was that Princess Diana died. It's strange how you remember what you were doing or where you were when you hear such big world event news, so I thought i'd throw it out there...where were you, or what were you doing when you heard the news?
That morning I saw on telly that Diana had been involved in a car crash. It was pre kids for the misses and myself, and being a Sunday (i think it was) we then headd off to Lang Park to watch the South Qld Crushers play someone in a game of footy. Sitting in the big grandstand on the Eastern side of the field i recall getting the news over the loud speaker / PA system of the footy stadium that she had died. Sitting a couple of rows down in front of us was 3 young adult guys that sounded like they were English (going on accents)...these 3 guys all broke down and started crying (not judging them at all,  just mentioning what it is i vividly recall happening the moment I heard the news).
So over to you lot, where were you at the time you heard the news?
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 20 years ago
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 07:44:38 PM »
Sitting in the Straddie Hotel watching footy with mates when the news scrolled across the bottom of the screen. Thought it was a mistake at first. Sad day indeed.

Offline Frawls

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 08:18:08 PM »
Driving a dive boat of Portsea
🍻🍻🍻🍻🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍻🍻🍻🍻

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Young Nomad, Travelling
    • Tripigy
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 08:20:26 PM »
My first night being married. In a hotel room in Noosa with the new wife, whilst she sat and watched what had happened.
2015 LC200 - Snowy - Sahara with all the mods.
Custom built Off-road Caravan.

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »
A pimple faced 16 year old working at KFC

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:37:13 PM »
My first night being married. In a hotel room in Noosa with the new wife, whilst she sat and watched what had happened.
i guess we should say happy anniversary then firefox :cheers:

Offline raider

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:52:35 PM »
The wife and I were using a block and tackle to pull a tree stump out of the front yard of our first home. Must of been listening to the radio and I can remember going inside to watch the TV reports. Both of us were in shock and we both remember the day vividly.
Don't live a life of going-to-do's and die with nothing done

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 05:17:45 AM »
Sitting on the lounge watching something on tv.

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 07:37:52 AM »
Packing up campsite at Johns landing near Tewantin.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »
Digging a long trench with a pick & shovel. Radio on to help ease the pain of digging and comes across a News flash. At first we thought it couldn’t be true, but unfortunately it was. 

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 09:40:55 AM »
First heard of her death on the Combie Trader returning from Moreton but I'm not sure if it was the day of the accident as no comms where we where on the island.
Terrible thing!
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 10:35:29 AM »
Driving back from rescuing my mates rolled car from rally of Melbourne.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 10:58:33 AM »
It was a Sunday and I walked into mum's house after being at work and it was on the tv in her lounge room.  Couldn't believe it.

Offline pommiedic

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »
Working overtime on a Sunday morning in Bristol UK, I walked into the office to the sounds of the boss singing "The wicked witch is dead" I had no idea what he was on about until another colleague pointed at the TV.

This event and 9/11 are the only 2 events I can recall what I was doing on the day
Why is the 1st Tea of the day the best?

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »

This event and 9/11 are the only 2 events I can recall what I was doing on the day
i recall a few events sort of...9/11 I watched unfolding on morning telly before I went to work, I woke the misses up at about 6 a.m I think it was to show her what was happenin. At first I just thought it was a high rise fire, took about 5 minutes before I found out what caused it.
 Australia 2 winning the Americas Cup...Don't recall watching the win itself but I may have, but I was a young kid at school back then and used to sell the afternoon newspaper from a traffic island on the corner of Beaudesert and Granard Rd (yeah how busy is that corner, no way I'd let my kids do that). I sold out all my papers in 15 minutes, went back to get more from the newsagents, but it had sold out also.
Steve Irwin I heard about on the radio afternoon news whilst at work

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 11:36:40 AM »
Sitting Bandar Seri Begawan airport on my way home from getting married in the UK.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »

I remember hearing on the car radio that Ayrton Senna died, I was driving to work along Warringah Rd at Frenchs Forest. That shook me.

9/11 I was watching morning news getting ready for work at Dee Why.

My wife was quite upset by Diana's death, I was not really bothered that much.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »
Newcastle earthquake - I was still in bed but was quickly thrown out
Diana - at home watching TV when the program was interrupted
Michael Hutchence - driving somewhere along Epping Rd Lane Cove and it came on the radio
Ayrton Senna - was watching the live broadcast of the race on TV
9/11 - watching the broadcast on TV then saw the second tower come down

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
Driving back from the local shops with my 4 yro daughter, before going to work,  I distinctly remember saying out loud,  that " She's finaly pushed them too far  they have killed  her "  and my daughter asking is she realy dead ...
We still have a box somewhere that's filled with multitudes of news paper clippings etc of  Dianna tribute and special commemorations over the years, that my daughter collected .

9/11 was a normal  6 am  morning up and switching on the TV news, Only to be greeted with the unlimited breaking news coverage replays .. Thinking Ohh Shite " Now its going to be on with someone [ War ] " .

In 1986 a group of us were having a BBQ and drink, when news of the Shuttle Challenger exploding came through . Remember it was about a day after the event when the " What does N.A.S.A stand for [ Need Another Seven Astronauts ] "  and other jokes  started going around the traps .. Remember all the TV coverage being given about the school teacher Christa MCauliffe perishing , Just as this song started playing at the BBQ  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV9DNpkfak0  Every time I hear it I think of her and that day .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »
Neil Armstrong walking on the moon (Monday 21 Jul 1969 2 days after my birthday), I was 15 and helping move a new lounge suite into the lounge room, and we stopped to watch it on the old B&W telly.

Newcastle Earthquake (28 Dec 1989 wife's birthday) At a barby at the sister-in-law's place up in Toowoomba, and mum had just turned up by taxi and informed us she had just left the old man, and was coming back south to live with us...

Princess Di (Sunday 31 August 1997) Was driving into the dump, and the bloke on the gate told us, and everyone was stopped listening on their car radios.

The Twin Towers (11 Dec 2001), I woke up on the lounge in the early hours of the morning (fell asleep watching a movie), and saw the footage on TV and was trying to work out if it was a movie or something. Took a little while before it actually registered that it was real.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline camp120

• Sleeping Bag User
  • ITS ALL GOOD.......
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 05:59:16 PM »
I was in a taxi going to pick up some recovery breakfast for 8mates after a huge night at the west Wyalong show ball ???
2007 prado vx D4D(418,850km) and going strong.
2011 camprite TL8S (79,000km)and climbing slowly.

Offline MadMarv

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 09:36:30 PM »
Carnt belive your memorys are that good .... yes i remember her dying but thats about it .... same with the twin towers ...
Regards

Marv

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 09:41:49 PM »
Diana:  Coles at Yamba, NSW, doing some shopping when it came over the radio they had playing in store.  Thought to myself that now maybe she can get some peace, but different ones still want to dig further.  She did a lot to improve the Royal Family, just a shame others in the family still want to live in the Dark Ages. 

9/11:  6am when I started work, Night shift told us about it

Armstrong:  Remember we sat around the old black and white to watch them land in the sea. 

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 10:19:59 PM »
Don't remember where i was.
I remember the twin towers. I got home from work and the newsflash I thought was a movie promo. Only when I got up to go back to work I realised what had happened. 
I also remember when the Iraq war states (first one). I was at the Dept veterans affairs to do a service call. It was building up when I went in andnit  happended while I was there. It was the location rather  than the event I remember
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 07:55:06 AM »
Lady Di - Sunday morning getting ready for second songs christianing.

Second son was actually born the night the Thredbo landslip happened.

Probably only remember these events due to these significan events at home at same time.

9/11 was just a normal morning getting ready for work.

Ironically a song I have never ever been able to get out of my head is

"Lady di di di said.........the only man I'm going to marry is prince charlie ie ie ie........."  :'(
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper