Author Topic: "upgrading" to a van. Expanda or rapid??  (Read 6230 times)

Offline 86gav

• Sleeping Bag User
"upgrading" to a van. Expanda or rapid??
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:52:08 PM »
G'day guys,  the wife has decided we need a van,  I sort of agree.  I've got long service coming up and want to do half a lap or so. Our lifestyle camper has served us well the last twelve months but we are after something better suited to living on the road.

I am torn between a Windsor rapid 592s or a Jayco expanda 17.56-2.  Budget is around 45k and I have found several good used examples of both.  A well used but good condition and really well kitted out 2010 rapid and a 2012 expanda that is like brand new. I am leaning towards the rapid at this stage,  but the Jayco is a little cheaper and prettier to look at.

I would be very interested to hear our opinions.

Thanks
Gav
08 GU CRD Auto
2013 Lifestyle Walkthru Delux

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: "upgrading" to a van. Expanda or rapid??
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »
Much better bed set-up/pack-up in the Rapid as well as better quality (thicker/not see through) canvas which negates the need for bed end flys.
Design allows for wet pack-ups without effecting the bedding.

I have a Coromal Transforma MT450 which has the same beds as the Rapid but with a lower tow height.

Hope this helps

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:40:44 PM »
The canvas is fine on the expandas, but the design of the rapids beds are better for wet pack up for sure, probably better for wet allround. But be warned rapid beds are not as sturdy if your kids are a tiny bit feral. The bases bend as witnessed many times at van parks. Also make sure you fit the beds, Expanda, rapid beds are not the biggest going around

For 45k you would almost get a new van with some serious haggling,certainly the Jayco. How many do you wanna sleep. I just got out of an Expanda because we only need 4 berth and have found a great floor plan in a poptop that works and is  a 17ft van. Certainly looking at the dealers the expanda types vans are not as popular as they used to be. Good luck.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline 86gav

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 02:42:46 PM »
Thanks guys,  need to sleep 5, the wife and I and 3 kids 6 4 and 2. The Jayco 17.56.2. Seems to fit the bill but I am a little concerned about the build quality.  From what I've seen so far there is absolutely no comparison between the 2 in that regard.
08 GU CRD Auto

Marschy

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »
Have a look at the second hand market. There are some seriously good bargains out there. If you are cashed up you should be able to knock $1000's off the asking price.

My wife is a hard bargainer, she gave the dealer we bought our van from a price $5K below his asking price, stuck her hand out to shake on the deal and said we can transfer the money immediately. He umed and ahhed a bit then shook on it.

No waiting for 6 months for something to be built either, which was a huge plus.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 05:34:13 PM »
Hi Gav, any reason why your not considering a Jayco style camper?

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline 86gav

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
Mainly because we want a toilet and shower
08 GU CRD Auto

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 05:39:44 PM »
Mainly because we want a toilet and shower

Fair enough, and I agree with you there. I was parked near a bloke last weekend with a rapid, he upgraded from an expanda. He said he was happy with it but was also happy with the expanda and in hindsight should not have changed. I personally like the rapid
Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)