Author Topic: "BUGGER" Guess this guy was lucky  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline Old Croc + plus one

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: "BUGGER" Guess this guy was lucky
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:42:03 PM »
Blazing Saddles is all I can say they were lucky  Bushman
Ford Ranger 2006

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 07:00:54 PM »
How strange it that,, Same thing happened to my brother as he traveled thru WA, he also battled hard to get the gas bottles of the draw bar..
Uncanny............................ ???

Poverty Pack.!

Variflex

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:06:20 PM »
Same thing happened to my father in law, hold on, thats your  brother,

I reckon its just the heat from the road and tyre pressures not being suitable adjusted as the father in laws fire started from the tyres

Offline BJ76

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »
I have to be honest, I wouldn't stand a chance in heck getting my gas bottles off.  Because of the nylock nut it takes me about 10 mins for each bottle...  The first thing I would do would be to get unhitched and get the tug as far away as possible.  Apart from the massive inconvenience, that's what insurance is for.
2010 Toyota Hilux Dual Cab SR5 TD & Lifestyle Extenda (with a couple of enhancements in mind!)

Offline Tezza1974

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Hilux SR5 D4D & Lifestlye Podium CT
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:39:56 PM »
Sheez...what a drama..!!!

To my knowledge the gas bottles are normally ok in handling a fire unless they are superheated and reach a very high temp thus making ebverything in close proximity very crispy.......i am sure there is a fellow swagger who knows better than me.....

reason is......We had a factory fire years ago and all the gas bottles which i thought were going to blow up didint and even then fire fighters said as long as they stay relativley cool they are fine......
Looking for that perfect place somewhere between Peace & Quiet

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »
Hi,
   we did simulated gas bottle fires with the fire service as part of volunteer training.
They are designed to vent the gas for safety when over heated.
The free gas is of course a potential hazard as it can go "whoomph" in spectacular fashion if a large volume is involved.
The bottles them selves should not explode if they vent down correctly.
If the vented gas is burning, then the potential for 'whoomph" is eliminated, and although spectacular and noisy, the huge flame from the vent is a much safer option than having free gas on the ground.
For that reason, if a bottle is burning at the vent, (which should always be pointed away from the wall)  never knock the flame out.
The correct procedure is to cool the bottle with water from a hose till the venting stops, disconnect the bottle and get it out of the hot area.
Not always possible I know, and the idea of having a quick detach arrangement for gas bottles seems like an idea worth further thought.
cheers

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 09:04:51 AM »
thats what insurance is for , unhitch the tug and stand back,
I have 3 fire ext in the dual cab, one bolted inside, one under the hood and one in the back

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 03:44:31 PM »
Just a note on "000" As part of my work I have to report vandalism to the Police help line and find that it can take ten minutes to explain to them where a National Park is, it would appear that as usual if you are located out side a town environment or NSW (Newcastle, Sydney,Wollongong)you have little hope of getting help fast, the soft wear that they use is very cumbersome if you know an area by a different name to what is on their system, This is a problem for all emergency services since they centralized the call centres many years back, I would guess it is similar in most states, It saves money but at what cost to lives? ???
Grizzly