Author Topic: The preparation  (Read 16288 times)

Offline DanAdelaide

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: The preparation
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 11:05:05 PM »
My preparations, so far, I have thought about it several times  :D , actually the vehicle is about there, need to check some items off for the camper, mainly stone guard mud flaps and some extra clearance for the guards, as the upgrade from 15" to 16" off road tyres has taken up most of what was available.

My only tip, Ive had a few 'Oh crap days, when getting a few jobs done just before you leave'

one time, oil change that day, snapped a vac hose off for the turbo, that sits next to the oil filter, car was fully laden and packed, had to cancel that weekend trip.

Got a wheel alignment done on a Fri 3pm, next business day Mon, then Xmas break, drove it out and down the road, car was all over the place, never felt anything so unsafe, took it back and they managed to right it with some other technicians who knew what they where doing (but did say I needed new camber bolts, which i couldn't get because it 2 days for parts from Melb, lucky enough the guys, got it back right with out needing the parts)

the Day before Xmas, check the air bags, found one was leaking and wouldn't hold pressure, a few phones calls and got the job done and finished by 5pm that night, no time to the job myself, had to pay the going rate - was leaving for 7 days Vic high country after boxing day, so had to get car fixed then.

So I'm planning to have all the jobs done 2 weeks prior this time around.

*****Open question, whats the chances for some wet, muddy conditions over the trip period ? more than likely, for sure, might be lucky, always rains this time of year

Offline Blueroo

• Tent User
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »
Nearly all set. Just need to get a pre trip check for the 4WD then just before we leave a last minute service to change oil/oil filter, air and fuel filters etc.
Camping gear is all sorted out now.
It was lucky we did a break down camping trip over Easter with a few other MySwaggers. We quickly learnt our little Malamoo 3 second tent was way too small for a month long touring trip and that we needed a bigger 30 second RV4 OzTent. All good now. Its just like a portable mini softfloor CT.
Cheers
Stue

Offline StevenB

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 06:36:36 AM »
There are a lot of things I would like to do, but other than new UHF antenna ,wire up the fridge, and get the camper and Patrol serviced none are required
2015 LC200 GXl with KDSS
2017 Drifta DOT6 DOT216 "Blue DOT"

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
Dont know if you guys have seen this PDF, I think its been posted up before but I think it has some useful info in it

http://www.ca.com.au/~cabell/aids224.pdf

macca

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 09:34:22 PM »
Dont know if you guys have seen this PDF, I think its been posted up before but I think it has some useful info in it

http://www.ca.com.au/~cabell/aids224.pdf

macca

wow, that covers everything! Thanks Macca. This will be very useful for all future expeditions as well. 
Linda & Kristin
Prado & Aussie jay camper
Melbourne

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »
almost done! roof rack on, and a couple of boxes up there, one packed with recovery gear, spare parts and loo paper, the other with coolant, oil and bulky coats etc. Washing machine up there ( plastic barrel with screw on lid), need to put up second spare and one jerry can. I have kept it as light as possible.  Camper is packed, and the new pantry BrickieMatt made is full, and has really made a difference to utilizing space in the camper. Snorkel fitted. Spotties on and adjusted. Volt meter wired, new deep cycle battery in to replace leaky acid crap that I had bought last year. Car had last minute check and now packed.

Yet to add light bar, fill tanks, check tyre pressures and add cover to trailer electrics and hope that BigJules' mallee treads come before Friday.
Linda & Kristin
Melbourne

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2014, 10:03:12 AM »
almost done! roof rack on, and a couple of boxes up there, one packed with recovery gear, spare parts and loo paper, the other with coolant, oil and bulky coats etc. Washing machine up there ( plastic barrel with screw on lid), need to put up second spare and one jerry can. I have kept it as light as possible.  Camper is packed, and the new pantry BrickieMatt made is full, and has really made a difference to utilizing space in the camper. Snorkel fitted. Spotties on and adjusted. Volt meter wired, new deep cycle battery in to replace leaky acid crap that I had bought last year. Car had last minute check and now packed.

Yet to add light bar, fill tanks, check tyre pressures and add cover to trailer electrics and hope that BigJules' mallee treads come before Friday.

Strewth linda, you're organised!
Can you come and help us when you're done ;D
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 10:37:29 AM »
roof rack on, and a couple of boxes up there, one packed with recovery gear, spare parts and loo paper, the other with coolant, oil and bulky coats etc. Washing machine up there ( plastic barrel with screw on lid), need to put up second spare and one jerry can. I have kept it as light as possible.
we mush have different definitions of as light as possible! I can't see your set up but is the rack rated to carry that much weight up there?

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »
Strewth linda, you're organised!
Can you come and help us when you're done ;D

Im sure you will be fine and you have a whole extra day than me :)   

I have pretty much decided I'm not taking the solar panels as we will be driving almost everyday.
Linda & Kristin
Melbourne

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
we mush have different definitions of as light as possible! I can't see your set up but is the rack rated to carry that much weight up there?

the weight is in the spare tyre and the jerry Matt, the boxes are small plastic square ones with light stuff in them. So even with 15 lt of water in the washing machine I am still under with the weight.
Linda & Kristin
Melbourne

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 11:34:10 AM »
You may want to seperate the oil and coolant from the bulky coats cause if one ruptures there goes your coat

And you will need your coats for in the mornings up there ATM.

A good place to store coats is under the front seats if you fold it up and flatten it. The coat will fit under there nicley and be easy to grab if you need it
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 11:37:12 AM »
the weight is in the spare tyre and the jerry Matt, the boxes are small plastic square ones with light stuff in them. So even with 15 lt of water in the washing machine I am still under with the weight.

Good that you have considered this. I have seen plenty of roof rails that are rated to carry 50kg max with a 25 kg roof basket on.
A spare is 30 to 40kg, a jerry 20+, recovery gear (if you include snatch block and few shackles) 20ish, so from your list I would guess you will hit 100kg easily. :D

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »
You may want to seperate the oil and coolant from the bulky coats cause if one ruptures there goes your coat

And you will need your coats for in the mornings up there ATM.

A good place to store coats is under the front seats if you fold it up and flatten it. The coat will fit under there nicley and be easy to grab if you need it

I have the coolant/oil in a garbage bag just in case, but oh yes under the seats is a way better idea  :cheers:
Linda & Kristin
Melbourne

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
Good that you have considered this. I have seen plenty of roof rails that are rated to carry 50kg max with a 25 kg roof basket on.
A spare is 30 to 40kg, a jerry 20+, recovery gear (if you include snatch block and few shackles) 20ish, so from your list I would guess you will hit 100kg easily. :D

yes Matt I definitely am always thinking about weight. My recovery gear is just a snatch and 2 shackles and dampener, and the spares are the 2 filters and 2 hoses. :)     Am trying to utilize the roof space with lighter gear and keeping the heavy gear in the vehicle. oh and my rack can carry 90kg and my car load for the pillars is 100kg.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:47:20 AM by lindamc »
Linda & Kristin
Melbourne

KingBilly

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
Taking extra warm bedding and heck it takes up some room.  Looks like we have packed the house up and are moving  :D

KB

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2014, 10:28:56 AM »
Taking extra warm bedding and heck it takes up some room.  Looks like we have packed the house up and are moving  :D

KB

Yeah it is a weir spot up there you need all that bedding for alice then if you drive 4hrs north over the tropic you get out at Wycliff and are looking for your boardshorts and thongs
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Blueroo

• Tent User
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »
Two more sleeps and we are on the road.  The doona and bedding etc takes up a lot of room as KB says. Its all light stuff but is bulky.
cheers
Stue
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline brianm

• Learning the Ropes
  • Having a ball and living life!
Re Your Centre Trip - PICTURE of the group (the second one)
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
Hi Linda,
Any chance of a copy of the group photo you took of the last day before we split up after our  epic trip, at Redbank Waterhole?
Could you please send it to me via email on valerie.machin@gmail.com
Thanks muchly,
Val  (Brianm)
2006 100 Series 4.2 TD

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2014, 03:44:35 PM »
email sent val. its only low res though so no good for printing. if you want hi res i will send you a dropbox link

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Linda & Kristin
Melbourne