Author Topic: MySwag National Meet UPDATE  (Read 10627 times)

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
MySwag National Meet UPDATE
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:10:17 PM »
2011 MySwag National Meet Update

Swagger “73bubba” recently created a thread for a SA Swaggers Meet with a poll as to how members would like to camp. 5 out of 9 responded wanted to “free camp with facilities”, with a further 3 responding they would be happy to “free camp without facilities”. From this very limited poll, free camping is preferred by 8 out of the 9 respondents!

After some discussions it was suggested that the June long weekend be used as a dry run for the National MySwag Meet 2011. It was also suggested that a portable toilet be hired for the weekend. “JKohn” enquired with Kennards and was quoted $287 for a weekend hire of a toilet, however delivery to Jamestown was not included in the price. “rodeo2002” is also following up a price for a toilet.

“JKohn” has received a number of PM’s and emails as to what facilities would be available at “rodeo2002”’s property. Questions being asked included:
•   Being in a paddock will there be any shade should the days be warm to hot?
•   Jamestown being 17km’s away is a long way to go should just some milk and bread be needed.
•   The costs and logistics of getting toilets, showers, and water into such a place.
•   The gradient of the ground when setting up their camper.
•   How can we recharge our batteries if we don't have solar panels?
•   The possibility of there being snakes around and therefore potentially be a harm to their kids.
•   The lack of any suitable "playground" for the kids, can kids ride their bikes without getting punctures, etc.
•   Having to bring ‘everything’ onsite is going to be difficult for the newbie campers coming
•   Those coming from interstate will want to have laundry facilities considering they would have travelled for a few days to get there.
•   Those with babies or very young children will find it difficult to bathe them when there are no real facilities or proper running water.
•   Those wanting to come early or leave later would have to find alternative arrangements
•   Insurance: Rodeo2002’s property would not be covered for such an event and therefore poses and insurance risk to him personally

As at 28 January 2011, 16 adults and 23 children (39 in total) are registered as intending to attend the National Meet. No doubt as the event draws closer, more will register. On current numbers at least two toilets (male & female) and two showers (male & female) with a water supply will be required. At $200 each for 3 days, $1,200 will need to be outlaid upfront by the organisers. If between now and October a further 20 people intending to attend, there will be around 60 people attending with a further additional outlay for at least one extra toilet and shower facility.

This has made the organisers reconsider the suitability of “rodeo2002”’s property to host the event given the logistical concerns of toilet and shower facilities, shopping facilities, and kid friendly activities, as outlined above.

These concerns were emailed to “rodeo2002” for his comments. “rodeo2002” responded that “If it needs to be moved then move it”. Whilst it could be possible to conduct an event without facilities for a small number, it is impractical to try and do so with possibly 40 to 60 or more people attending.

Keeping the event in the general locale suggests the ideal venue would be a free camp area in the Flinders Ranges with facilities. Finding a venue with facilities for up to 60 people for free is highly unlikely. Having looked at a number of the 4WD Tours which offer onsite accommodation, none are able to cater for the large numbers that we expect will be attending.

Whilst unpopular, the most logical venue would be a caravan park for the weekend of the meet. Swaggers would be able to come and go as they like, booking in earlier or leaving later, or just attending for the weekend and making their own accommodation arrangements immediately before and after the event.

We are therefore proposing that the meet be moved to Wilmington Caravan Park where they have the choice of 70 powered sites or you can go unpowered in part of their 20 acres which is behind the powered sites.  Furthermore we are allowed a central campfire along as it’s within accordance of CFS rules for that particular day.

On behalf of all Swaggers, I would like to thank “rodeo2002” for his offer to host the national meet and for his selfless consideration to moving the event off of his property and look forward to seeing you all at Wilmington!

Thankyou
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:50:05 PM by JKohn »

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: MySwag National Meet UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
The meet will now be held at the Beautiful Valley Caravan Park Wilmiington.

http://www.beautifulvalley.com.au/

Powered sites are $25per couple per night unpowered is $20per couple per night, children over 5 are $5per night.

**Please make your accommodation booking for the 2011 NATIONAL MYSWAG MEET direct with the caravan park.

Say you are part of the MySwag Group and you will receive 5% discount

Offline Jardry

• Tent User
  • 2005 Jayco Freedom / 1999 Outback Sturt
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:41:50 AM »
Thanks for the update, and boy was it an update!

Having been one that PM'ed some concerns, I believe the organisers had no option but to relocate the event. Whilst most concerns expressed could have been overcome, hygiene (toilets & showers) and insurance would have been too costly for the organisers to overcome.

The probability of anything serious happening may be very, very low, but if it did happen, there would be repercussions for the organisers.

Having checked out the link to the new location, I think it is a good compromise, as it addresses all the concerns that were raised.

No doubt some will be disappointed that it is in a caravan park, that goes with not being able to make everybody happy.

JKohn, I would be happy to assist the organisers if they require any assistance.

The meet will be a success no matter where it will be held.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:19:33 AM »
Just sent my booking off - We will be arriving late on Sunday 25th to set up -
If anyone else is going early we will be driving straight from Werribee to Wilmington with many
"smokos" on the way !! LOL
Cheers
Steve
Booking confirmed - Jack said he's only got 20 Acres to fit us in so you all had better hurry up
and book your spot ...LOL  :cup:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:20:38 PM by Mandrake »
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
Outstanding alternative JC :cup:

We are booked in 30 Sept to 3 Oct.

See Ya's there.
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »
My wife and I are intending to be at the National meet, will provide more details as I confirm leave etc.

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
To all those working away behind the scenes, and especially to rodeo2002, I'd just like to say well done for all your efforts so far.

The change of location will ease a lot of pressure on you guys, not that you couldn't handle it, and will enable you to kick back a little more when the time of the meet rolls around.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
Unbelievable, no thanks, not driving all that way to stay in a caravan park, very dissapointing, it's a shame we can't go to radeo2002s property, considering his jesture and the work already put in, I would say he would be very dissapointed :-[

If people can't go 2 nights without facilities, you shouldn't have an off road camper and 4WD, sorry just my 2 cents worth, enjoy the gathering those who are going and well done those who are orginising this, having orginised a few gatherings myself (one being the first national ExplorOz gathering) I know how much work goes into it, so again well done :cheers:

Rant over

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Jardry

• Tent User
  • 2005 Jayco Freedom / 1999 Outback Sturt
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »
Unbelievable, no thanks, not driving all that way to stay in a caravan park, very dissapointing, it's a shame we can't go to radeo2002s property, considering his jesture and the work already put in, I would say he would be very dissapointed :-[

If people can't go 2 nights without facilities, you shouldn't have an off road camper and 4WD, sorry just my 2 cents worth, enjoy the gathering those who are going and well done those who are orginising this, having orginised a few gatherings myself (one being the first national ExplorOz gathering) I know how much work goes into it, so again well done :cheers:

Rant over

Baz.

PM Sent.

There has been a lot of behind the scenes "to-ing" and "fro-ing" in coming to the decision to relocate the event.

Regrettably, not everyone will be happy with the decision, and that is their prerogative.

Any private arrangement you, or any other swagger, would like to make with Rodeo2002 is between you and Rodeo2002.

As detailed in the Update, there were concerns which the organisers could not address.

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »
We are not sure yet whether we will be able to get there or not and being in a caravan park is not an inducement to us.  We camped in one once and hated it.  The chance to get together with heaps of other people from all over the place would be great however and it will be the people that make the event more than the location in our book.

Some of the queries / questions listed do seem a bit different for an off-road camper trailer forum but it takes all sorets of people to make this the forum that it is and certainly insurance is a big issue.  Liability insurance to host heaps of people camping on your property with all sorts of activities going on, kids running around, people drinking, etc could be a nightmare to arrange.  Now I was just wondering, what liability does anyone who arranges a trip or gathering have if something goes wrong even if camped in a caravan park or public place?  With our 4wd club we are an incorporated club with a constitution, etc and are affiliated with 4wd NSW/ACT.  I think affiliation fees are a bit over $20 per head and that gives us insurance cover for all sorts of things including organising trips and public events which we have such as ramp days, etc.

Maybe further growth of My Swag might include a membership option which covers people for events such as this?  Again, referring back to our 4wd club, we have a website with lots of members and the club which is fewer members but are paid up club members.  Potential club members are required to attend two trips before being eligible for membership so it gives people a chance to see if they are interested in becoming full members.  Something for people to think about... Don't know what Brett would think as it would take a fair bit of organising and extra administration
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • MySwag.org - The Off-road Camper Trailer forum
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
JKohn,

Your doing a great job mate. Sorry I have not been much help so far but I'm willing to follow your lead as Trip Organiser. I still plan to attend and will add my name to the list once leave is approved. Bush or Van Park, It doesn't worry me as it will be the people attending that make it worth while.

Fivid,

At this stage there will be no membership fees for myswag. As with all trips you attend is at your own free will and at your own risk. No responsibility will be taken by the admin team and trip organisers for any damage or injury. Basically it is a camping trip with friends.
Cheers
Brett

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »
Fair enough decision made by the organizers, it's a bug task u have taken on and I have complete respect for your decision!

Offline Madcat

• If you own a 4WD... Get it Dirty!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Too much work, not enough days off!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 09:17:03 PM »
The problem with caravan parks is the annoying neighbours that you don't know living right next to you...

At least this way your annoying neighbours will have a name, and you can tell them to be quiet, then have a beer/coffee with them!!

Well done JKohn and Rodeo2002 on doing the change and making it all easier for everyone, it's so hard to make everyone happy.

And we can still have the fire to boot!!! (subject to terms and conditions)

:cheers:
Sam
80 Series Landcruiser and Bush Hopper Off Road Camper

Offline db

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 09:36:05 PM »
Looking forward to it, at the end of the day the idea is to meet up with everyone, so the location isn't the main attraction.

Richard
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

crackacoldie

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »
JKohn,

Thanks for doing such an awesome job.  The beautiful valley caravan park is more of a bush setting with power than a resort caravan park.  I am working on the roster for work to see if we will be able to make the National Meet, so have not put our names up yet.  I know I am off for the June LWE ], is the SA "Dry Run" on for that weekend???

:cheers: Cracka

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »
I think we should all take note that this camping area is 20 Acres big ...

I'm sure our group would fit on one of those acres and far from the madding crowd !!

Just my thoughts

Good work guys - I will be there with solar to spare ...

Cheers

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 10:19:44 PM »
I think we should all take note that this camping area is 20 Acres big ...

I'm sure our group would fit on one of those acres and far from the madding crowd !!

Just my thoughts

Good work guys - I will be there with solar to spare ...

Cheers

Steve

And maybe a chance for some of the "must" have power/ caravan type people to move away from this ( if only 100M ) and experience how easy it really is to camp without power etc ( its only for 2 or 3 nights )

PS; I go to van parks myself sometimes ( at least once a year !!! ;D ), so I'm not saying they're no good, but if you haven't been anywhere but a van park, you may not know how many great places you are missing..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 06:42:48 AM »
I think the venue caters well for all camper owners. :cup: and I would hope that no Myswag member would set out to marginlise or vilify those members who don't have an off road rig or 4x4. This is after all about the people and not just about their rigs.

Anyway, for the first time we have booked a powered site and are going to get into the 240 experience, because we can. Mrs Snow has the 240 box loaded with the toaster, hair dryer, kettle, etc etc. For an extra couple of $ over an unpowered site why not. Its only for 3 nights out of a three week trip anyway. ;D ;D
At least at the end of the day we can wonder off to have quiet nights slumber leaving the party crowd down the other end of the park to kick on.

Sooo I am looking forward to the free bush camping on the way there and on the way back along the Murray.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 07:07:55 AM »
We are not sure yet whether we will be able to get there or not and being in a caravan park is not an inducement to us.  We camped in one once and hated it.  The chance to get together with heaps of other people from all over the place would be great however and it will be the people that make the event more than the location in our book.

Some of the queries / questions listed do seem a bit different for an off-road camper trailer forum but it takes all sorets of people to make this the forum that it is and certainly insurance is a big issue.  Liability insurance to host heaps of people camping on your property with all sorts of activities going on, kids running around, people drinking, etc could be a nightmare to arrange.  Now I was just wondering, what liability does anyone who arranges a trip or gathering have if something goes wrong even if camped in a caravan park or public place?  With our 4wd club we are an incorporated club with a constitution, etc and are affiliated with 4wd NSW/ACT.  I think affiliation fees are a bit over $20 per head and that gives us insurance cover for all sorts of things including organising trips and public events which we have such as ramp days, etc.

Maybe further growth of My Swag might include a membership option which covers people for events such as this?  Again, referring back to our 4wd club, we have a website with lots of members and the club which is fewer members but are paid up club members.  Potential club members are required to attend two trips before being eligible for membership so it gives people a chance to see if they are interested in becoming full members.  Something for people to think about... Don't know what Brett would think as it would take a fair bit of organising and extra administration

There should be no liability for accidents as long as it is stated it is just camping with friends, otherwise the forum would be liable as well, I am going camping at such an such if anyone would like to join me your more than welcome.

This cannot be an official MySwag meet, otherwise as Brett has stated the admin can be held liable.

Anyway why would you sue anyone connected to this meeting and why would radeo2002 be liable for accidents on his property,  people should start taking responcebilty for their own and or childrens actions and not blaming others.

This is camping with friends, nothing has changed, only the venue, the same rules apply at the van park.

Don't get me wrong I'm not having a go at the people doing hard work of getting this orginised, I think your doing a great job, I'm just dissappointed about the change of venue, to please some who can't go 2 nights without facilities, I for one don't mind a hole in the ground as a toilet and I'm sure radeo2002 would be able to supply a few well placed holes, some could bring shelters if he doesn't have any, it's easy really.

But the decision has been made, so have a great time everyone, I hope it goes well, again well done to the people behind this meeting.

Baz.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:13:08 AM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 09:17:28 AM »
The location change was made in the hope that we would attract the most amount of people to the event - which is what it is all about.

As has been mentioned - there is 20 acres out the back where you can have your bush camping if that is what you desire.  The original idea was to get hired portable toilets in to rodeo2002's property (and not have a few holes in the ground) so you would be paying $20/$25pn anyway to cover this and other things required.

At the time of contacting Beautiful Valley they only had 3 unconfirmed bookings for the same period that we are there - it is not like a mainstream Big 4 caravan park (which was another reason why it was chosen).

The idea of the meet is more about meeting fellow myswag members from all around the country rather than where you set up your camper, and if driving through some gates with a caravan park sign on them is keeping you away then I feel sorry for you.

crackacoldie

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »
 :cup: Well said John.  Will be there with bells on, looking forward to putting some faces to names!!

:cheers: Cracka

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 09:55:15 AM »

and I would hope that no Myswag member would set out to marginlise or vilify those members who don't have an off road rig or 4x4. This is after all about the people and not just about their rigs.

I would hope so as well.....although I can't see any indication that anyone has implied anything like this at all ???
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Ketsi

• Going Nowhere - and can't wait to get there!!!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 10:56:59 AM »

The idea of the meet is more about meeting fellow myswag members from all around the country rather than where you set up your camper, and if driving through some gates with a caravan park sign on them is keeping you away then I feel sorry for you.

This is my recollection of the intent to begin this whole event. Whilst I respect that individual opinions exist, it is a shame that the opinion to criticise those who may not feel comfortable attending an event that is more remote than the average camp location, for only 2 or 3 nights, could not be a reversed opinion to consider they could sacrifice their desire to remote camp and put up with a caravan style location, for only 2 or 3 nights. At the end of the day this location is a journey for most intending to go. Why can't the journey be part of the enjoyment via which those wanting remote camping experience can have it for the journey out and return. The actual meet itself is as already pointed out, to meet and greet some of our fellow swaggers from near and afar and be a part of the 'National gathering'. Missing that opportunity because you couldn't cope with a few days in a particular location is a real shame.

Opinins aside I extend my appreciation to those working hard at organising this event and I am happy to plan my travels to and from this event and will show up even if it is being held in a tin cup....  ;D

Cheers,  :cheers:
Ketsi

Offline GOLDIE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »
It's not all bad news at least now someone can bring a tv so that we can Watch parramatta in the nrl grandfinal.  :'(
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:19:22 PM by GOLDIE »
Cheers, Ryano
Ready to Roll

2010 Goldstream Storm - 2006 Toyota Landcruiser GXL

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 05:16:32 PM »
It's not all bad news at least now someone can bring a tv so that we can parramatta in the nrl grandfinal.  :'(

Probably won't be on in Adelaide....well not a game with Parra in it.... :laugh:  or for that matter Newcastle either.... :laugh: :laugh: