Author Topic: NSW Fires  (Read 95223 times)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: NSW Fires
« Reply #575 on: December 31, 2019, 08:54:26 PM »
Far out man, that is intense!!

My nephew’s GF is trapped at her workplace near Nowra tonight. Saw some footage that she took of the guys there trying to save all the animals out of the paddocks and keep the fire out of the stables and buildings.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #576 on: December 31, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »
Not the place you want to be.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #577 on: January 01, 2020, 02:20:39 PM »
Not the place you want to be.
Story goes they were in a convoy of 4 trucks... heading out to the field. Driver decided it was too dangerous, so crew leader called convoy to turn back
They started turning around as did 2 trucks behind them.

2 trucks behind them had their brake lines MELT.... they were in Shit..
first truck made it past other 2, as did last to safety

2nd nad 3rd trucks had to sit out the storm - their trucks catching fire..
when safe to - they donned the BA and made for the 3rd truck to find it brakes locked too

both crews then BA and headed up the road to an RFS tanker and then onto control point for checking and met up with other tanker crews.

not sure wat happened to 4th truck - but all were safe in the end.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #578 on: January 01, 2020, 02:26:27 PM »
This is awesome from Esso

Gas company Esso had sent one ship and two helicopters to Mallacoota as of Wednesday morning, with another being prepared to head to the small East Gippsland town. Esso was asked by state emergency services to provide such support.

"We have made an offshore support vessel, the Far Saracen, available and the vessel is now at Mallacoota and supporting response actions there. We are preparing a second vessel, the Far Senator, to be available to mobilise to Mallacoota in the coming days," an Esso spokesman said.

"Two of Esso’s fleet of helicopters are also being made available to evacuate impacted community members from Mallacoota, as well as assist emergency services personnel in getting to those impacted."

The Esso ships provided food and water and stand ready to assist in whatever way possible.

pic of the ship thats arrived
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 02:28:36 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #579 on: January 01, 2020, 02:28:49 PM »
Story goes they were in a convoy of 4 trucks... heading out to the field. Driver decided it was too dangerous, so crew leader called convoy to turn back
They started turning around as did 2 trucks behind them.

2 trucks behind them had their brake lines MELT.... they were in Shit..
first truck made it past other 2, as did last to safety

2nd nad 3rd trucks had to sit out the storm - their trucks catching fire..
when safe to - they donned the BA and made for the 3rd truck to find it brakes locked too

both crews then BA and headed up the road to an RFS tanker and then onto control point for checking and met up with other tanker crews.

not sure wat happened to 4th truck - but all were safe in the end.

Bugger.   Do the F&R trucks have a sprinkler system like the RFS trucks? 

Not that it would make that much difference with that hot a fire. 

Not sure which fire it was now but heard the aircraft were called off a fire after a helicopter dropped his bucket to have the water turn to steam before it hit the tree tops. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #580 on: January 01, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »

Great to see people helping out where and how they can. 

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #581 on: January 01, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »
Check out the Sat image and photos from NZ.
[URL]https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-01/smoke-shrouds-australia-as-nsw-bushfires-continue/11835734?pfmredir=sm[URL]
Not looking forward to returning to Canberra. Air quality has been bad since 7th December but nothing like this!

2011 NT Pajero; 2007 Goldstream Crown 4B

NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #582 on: January 01, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »

Some clown tourist on the news,
Saying what a slap in the face it is to the locals, concidering that Esso is the cause of these fires through Climate Change.

Just no pleasing some.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #583 on: January 01, 2020, 05:16:34 PM »
Bugger.   Do the F&R trucks have a sprinkler system like the RFS trucks? 

No the F&R trucks do not have the sprinkler system.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #584 on: January 01, 2020, 06:13:41 PM »
No the F&R trucks do not have the sprinkler system.

Didn't think they did at least they had their BA gear. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #585 on: January 01, 2020, 06:14:03 PM »

Some clown tourist on the news,
Saying what a slap in the face it is to the locals, concidering that Esso is the cause of these fires through Climate Change.

Just no pleasing some.
I hope someone clubbed that **** stain with a club. or chased him into the fire.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #586 on: January 01, 2020, 06:22:35 PM »
I hope someone clubbed that **** stain with a club. or chased him into the fire.
Even the ABC reporter was struggling to deal with him.
She said, we have heard they are they to assist,
He cut her off saying, he can't see any activity,  so why it there?
What a flog.
I got the empression she wanted to terminate the interview, but he kept dribbling on about the damage from this company.
I don't know, some people have barrow to push no matter what.
Btw, he was a tourist to the area, :(
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #587 on: January 01, 2020, 06:26:21 PM »
I like the ABC report in his yellow reporting from the fire ground at a burnt out car commenting how the fire was that hot it melted the paint off the car which ran down the hill.  Looking at the footage I think he may be a bit confused with aluminium instead of paint. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #588 on: January 01, 2020, 06:27:12 PM »
Even the ABC reporter was struggling to deal with him.
She said, we have heard they are they to assist,
He cut her off saying, he can't see any activity,  so why it there?
What a flog.
I got the empression she wanted to terminate the interview, but he kept dribbling on about the damage from this company.
I don't know, some people have barrow to push no matter what.
Btw, he was a tourist to the area, :(
Someone should tell teh Esso crew and point him out so they leave him behind and give him nothing.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #589 on: January 01, 2020, 09:06:16 PM »
Wow

NSW

15 lives lost, four in the past 24 hours
    Two people remain missing
    More than 100 bushfires burning
    3.6 million hectares burned, greater than the size of Belgium
    1087 homes confirmed destroyed
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #590 on: January 01, 2020, 09:39:29 PM »
Wow

NSW

NSW,

We have a history of Fire.  Not that many want to look at History. 

"Large fires in the east and west

1974-75 also saw the most severe fire season for perhaps 30 years in the far west of the State with 3,755,000 hectares burnt, 50,000 stock lost and 10,170km of fencing destroyed. One and a half million hectares were burnt in the Cobar Shire and 340,000ha in the Balranald Shire. At that time, the Moolah-Corinya fire was the largest fire ever to be put out by firefighters. The perimeter was over 1,000km. Three people died in the fire, 100 were hurt and 40 homes were destroyed.

In the late 1970s, the Blue Mountains endured two bad fire seasons. In late 1976, 65,000ha were burnt. The following year, one life was lost, 49 buildings were destroyed alongside of a further 54,000ha. Serious fires occurred in the Southern Highlands two years later in 1978-79. Major fires were widespread for the 1979-80 fire season burning over one million hectares in total across the State.
"

It's all there in the RFS website, easy to find.  I dare say as it was burning in the State's far west there was not the population to cause the same problem as the coast burning. 

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/about-us/history
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Shippo

• Swag User
« Reply #591 on: January 01, 2020, 10:55:59 PM »

Gas company Esso had sent one ship and two helicopters to Mallacoota as of Wednesday morning, with another being prepared to head to the small East Gippsland town. Esso was asked by state emergency services to provide such support.

"We have made an offshore support vessel, the Far Saracen, available and the vessel is now at Mallacoota and supporting response actions there. We are preparing a second vessel, the Far Senator, to be available to mobilise to Mallacoota in the coming days," an Esso spokesman said.

"Two of Esso’s fleet of helicopters are also being made available to evacuate impacted community members from Mallacoota, as well as assist emergency services personnel in getting to those impacted."

The Esso ships provided food and water and stand ready to assist in whatever way possible.

pic of the ship thats arrived

Thats my old ship!  We had heard rumours through the grapevine that the Saracen had been seconded to a rescue mission..and only today were told it was to provide support for the people affected by the bushfires.
There are a few guys Ive worked with that live in the gippsland area. Havent heard yet whether they still have their homes.
Weve had smaller fires around where I live in SA, it frightens me to see the magnitude of the ones Vic and NSW are experiencing now
2004 V6 Toyota Prado. Coromal Magnum 440 XC Rally

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #592 on: January 02, 2020, 06:34:49 AM »
Wow

NSW

This morning the count on homes lost increased to 1,298..
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #593 on: January 02, 2020, 06:44:08 AM »
I like the ABC report in his yellow.....

Spent a little time yesterday watching the coverage on various channels. I'm far removed from the effects, but still share concern for the situation. In the end I turned it off cause I got sick of the reporters wearing fire suits interviewing people in shorts and thongs from places like the Bega showgrounds, or some place where the fire had been and gone and locals were allowed to return. It was obvious they were just wanking it up to make it look good for the telly, as some didn't even have the jackets done up? One clown was even wearing the helmet and face shield when reporting, with people milling about in a playground the background.

Far as I'm concerned, if your going to wear the pyjama's then put down your microphone and pick up a hose........ must be infuriating to locals that are directly affected by the fires, and even more insulting to the RFS people?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #594 on: January 02, 2020, 07:02:19 AM »
NSW,

We have a history of Fire.  Not that many want to look at History. 

"Large fires in the east and west

1974-75 also saw the most severe fire season for perhaps 30 years in the far west of the State with 3,755,000 hectares burnt, 50,000 stock lost and 10,170km of fencing destroyed. One and a half million hectares were burnt in the Cobar Shire and 340,000ha in the Balranald Shire. At that time, the Moolah-Corinya fire was the largest fire ever to be put out by firefighters. The perimeter was over 1,000km. Three people died in the fire, 100 were hurt and 40 homes were destroyed.

In the late 1970s, the Blue Mountains endured two bad fire seasons. In late 1976, 65,000ha were burnt. The following year, one life was lost, 49 buildings were destroyed alongside of a further 54,000ha. Serious fires occurred in the Southern Highlands two years later in 1978-79. Major fires were widespread for the 1979-80 fire season burning over one million hectares in total across the State.
"

It's all there in the RFS website, easy to find.  I dare say as it was burning in the State's far west there was not the population to cause the same problem as the coast burning. 

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/about-us/history
Pretty sure they didn’t have the same technology (water bombers etc) to help fight the fires back then so once out of control it was probably inevitable that huge areas were burnt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #595 on: January 02, 2020, 07:07:23 AM »
Pretty sure they didn’t have the same technology (water bombers etc) to help fight the fires back then so once out of control it was probably inevitable that huge areas were burnt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, and with limited resources, their main concern would have been in saving houses and lives, at the expense of letting grazing land burn. There is simply no comparison between that fire and the current fires. Geez nearly 1300 homes lost so far.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:09:38 AM by Troopy_03 »
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline KevG

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #596 on: January 02, 2020, 07:18:59 AM »
We are a couple of hundred kms inland from the coast fires. For the last couple of weeks we have had lots of smoke and a couple of grass fires out on the Hume Highway, which pales against what is happening down on the coast.

That said, a visitor to the region decided to light a fire last night on a riverbank. Apparently said visitor now has met a few locals and was given a very expensive reminder of the holiday!

I don't mind people doing stupid and/or dangerous things if the only person who will get hurt is the person doing the stupid and/or dangerous thing. I do object to people doing stupid and dangerous things when it could have a severe effect on a whole community.

Be safe and sensible out there.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #597 on: January 02, 2020, 07:30:44 AM »
I like the ABC report in his yellow reporting from the fire ground at a burnt out car commenting how the fire was that hot it melted the paint off the car which ran down the hill.  Looking at the footage I think he may be a bit confused with aluminium instead of paint.

First rule of journalism (if that what it is!)....never gets facts get in the way of a good story.

:cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #598 on: January 02, 2020, 07:36:12 AM »
Wifes sister and husband have lost their house.  Wasn't in bush either!  Fires were just too fast, too hot and too intense for anything in their paths.  Hope to hell that they are extinguished soon. Such a bad start to a new year...
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #599 on: January 02, 2020, 07:44:16 AM »
We are a couple of hundred kms inland from the coast fires. For the last couple of weeks we have had lots of smoke and a couple of grass fires out on the Hume Highway, which pales against what is happening down on the coast.
Mate now lives in Goulburn and said on phone new yers night that the smoke was intense where he lived, and the fires were a long way away.. :(

Be safe and sensible out there.
X eleventy.. just hope people on the Vic/NSW coast take notice and GTFO town before the Shit weather on Saturday
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home