Author Topic: Pacific Highway Bypass of Coffs Harbour  (Read 49842 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Pacific Highway Bypass of Coffs Harbour
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »
Went to a meeting the other night to listen to what the Mayor has to say for herself about the Bypass.  She has demanded from the RMS and Pollies, the Best Bypass for Coffs Harbour which means tunnels, not cuttings.  What I found interesting was not the tunnel v cutting but asked the Mayor about the Coramba Road Interchange.  This interchange is midway along the Bypass and offers any east/west traffic the option of using the Bypass or continue with the current local roads into Coffs Harbour and onto the existing Highway.

Now our Mayor, who has demanded the Best Bypass for Coffs Harbour states the Council is NOT in favour of this Interchange and the reason, rather the excuse, is the local road is not up scratch and can not handle the additional traffic.  There is a section of split level lanes which creates problems and basically due to cost and it's just too hard, Council is not going to upgrade this road.  It is okay for the Mayor to demand the Best Bypass but will refuse to fix it's own local roads. 

Another Council rep added another reason, excuse, why Council is opposed to the Coramba Road Interchange and that is that trucks coming down Red Hill into Coffs Harbour will not be able to stop at the bottom for the two roundabouts and trucks using engine braking or exhaust braking, will be too noisy coming down Red Hill.   Now heavy vehicles have been using engine/exhaust braking coming down this hill ever since they started coming down the hill as it is the only safe way to come down the hill and manage to take the meandering road at the bottom. 

Listening to both I found their excuse to be some of the most pathetic hypercritical they could come up with to stop the Bypass from being the Best Bypass to being a waste of $1.5b.  Following further discussion the Mayor fully agrees the roadway needs fixing, but showed no interest in fixing the local road network to marry into the Bypass to give us the Best Option available.     
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2019, 07:46:13 PM »
Mate,
Councils have become useless.
Too many minority groups aligned to nothing other than cause Shite, the Me To brigade.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »
Just be patient.

Sent from my SM-J600G using Tapatalk

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2019, 08:15:16 PM »
Nothing is going to happen until the EIS is released and RMS doesn't want the Bypass made into a Political Football and as expected the EIS will not be released until after the Election has been sorted.  More then happy to wait. 

Once the EIS comes out depending on the plan as to what happens from there.  For all parties involved hopefully the EIS is based on the tunnels that the National Party told the RMS to do.  Tunnels as per the 2008 Connel Wagner Report.  Then we just need the Federal Government agree to the funding. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:16:48 PM by alnjan »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2019, 09:45:35 PM »
https://www.prime7.com.au/news/8245-bypass-tunnels?fbclid=IwAR1R4Cq0o-nBwdzkeqxqgwXkLyhGy4bhkBaAegZJF3FKrPNBLAf02Wtrxn0

Sums it up pretty well.  As I said above.  Everyone else is talking tunnels except Coffs Bypass Action Group.  They seem to think things happen at the click of your fingers and they are that important they should have a place at the Designers Table.  Even with the Outgoing retiring Federal Member saying tunnels apparently it's not good enough for CBAG.  CBAG somehow have this idea they can demand something from the RMS and get it.  Unfortunately for them RMS don't work that way.  The one person CBAG need to partner up with is our new local State Member who was with the other Nationals when they told RMS to do the Bypass with Tunnels.  CBAG refused my suggestion of having the new Local Member at their next meeting as it had the potential of exposing their tactics. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2019, 09:34:20 AM »
Just be patient.

Shouldn't that say

"Just back from 2044, & they're still arguing about the Coffs Harbour Bypass" ??? >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2019, 02:50:48 PM »
Shouldn't that say

"Just back from 2044, & they're still arguing about the Coffs Harbour Bypass" ??? >:D
HaHa. Yep, that's a take off from that old Michael Douglas movie "Back to the Future"

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »
Jesus H Christ, no wonder we have Shit roads in Australia compared to Europe/UK and the USA/Canada, what a joke.

I traveled around Europe in 1986(33yrs ago) and the roads then were 100% better back than they are now here.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:31:27 AM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2019, 04:53:48 PM »
HaHa. Yep, that's a take off from that old Michael Douglas movie "Back to the Future"

Oops! My bad. Was Michael J Fox.

Offline Davepatrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 4.2 Patrol with a lot of extras
« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »

TRUCK ROLLOVER: The Pacific Highway has reopened after a truck crash in the Coffs Harbour CBD overnight saw it's closure in both directions. READ MORE: https://www.triplem.com.au/…/coffs-harbour-highway-truck-…/…                     A good reason not to have tunnels on the by-pass when built
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:25:07 AM by Davepatrol »

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2019, 09:12:50 AM »
Jesus H Christ, no wonder we have Shit roads in Australia compared to Europe/UK and the USA/Canada, what a joke.

I traveled around Europe in 1986(33yrs ago) and the roads then were 100% better back than they are now here.

A lot more cattle to milk over there, though.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2019, 09:56:52 PM »

TRUCK ROLLOVER: The Pacific Highway has reopened after a truck crash in the Coffs Harbour CBD overnight saw it's closure in both directions. READ MORE: https://www.triplem.com.au/…/coffs-harbour-highway-truck-…/…                     A good reason not to have tunnels on the by-pass when built

Yep Pros and Cons for cuttings v tunnels.  At least either cuttings or tunnels will be built for vehicles to travel through at 110km/h without causing accidents.  The roundabout at Englands Road, along with the the sections of the Highway just north of the Big Banana, just south of the Coast Hotel, the intersection just below the Windmill are all prone to accidents/collisions by their design with just a little bit of excess speed.  The Big Banana would be the worst with a number of fatals over the years. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2019, 09:59:38 PM »
Just be patient.
would make a good t-shirt to wear to polling booths.. LOL
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #188 on: May 19, 2019, 08:09:20 PM »
With both State and Federal elections done and dusted and with State and State member going to Coalition and Nationals and now the Federal going Coaltition also with a National Member many are now saying the Bypass will not be done for at least another three years as Coffs Harbour and the Federal Electorate of Cowper being both safe National Seats they do not have to spend any money in the area.  So according to the non National fans the Bypass will not happen now for two or more decades. 

Alternatively if they do build it they will go with cuttings as that is the cheapest option regardless of the non National fans as part of their demand for tunnels is/was the cost difference for tunnels and cuttings is minimal. 

Really these people need to work with our new local members to get the Bypass they are both committed to delivering.  Trouble is the Community Group has too much Political Agendas and not Bypass Agenda and refuse to invite the local member to a meeting as he may see their tactics.  When they said that to me I lost interest.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #189 on: May 19, 2019, 09:03:03 PM »
  So according to the non National fans the Bypass will not happen now for two or more decades. 

Send the machines down to Heatherbrae and finish the missing link on the busiest part of the M1.. :cheers:
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2019, 09:14:39 PM »
Send the machines down to Heatherbrae and finish the missing link on the busiest part of the M1.. :cheers:

If Bill had of won that may have happened.  While the locals here were carrying on about the Nationals committing to a fully funded Bypass with 'proper' tunnels and coming up with every conspiracy theory to disbelieve what the Nationals were promising and some locals very busy telling everyone to Vote Nationals last and to vote for an Independent as he is the only one that can deliver a tunnel bypass.  Labor never made an appearance or utter one word about Coffs Harbour or the electorate of Cowper for that matter and definitely did not make any commitment or pledge about the Coffs Bypass but they did commit to the same funding the Coalition had made for the Black Hill to Heatherbrae Upgrade and Bill also said he would deliver it earlier.  From that I was wondering if Bill was going to can the Coffs Bypass and send it all to Black Hill to Heatherbrae. 

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2019, 06:42:42 AM »
Like always, be very suspicious when a politians lips start moving. ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2019, 08:34:52 AM »
refuse to invite the local member to a meeting

& that's definitely NOT the way to win friends, influence people & get your particular ideas through! >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2019, 09:59:35 AM »
Well the new Federal Member sounds like he wants to get on with the job.  On a radio interview this morning saying he will be contacting the different Political stake holders and chasing up the RMS regarding the EIS.  Just a game at present of wait and see.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2019, 11:01:55 PM »
Well the new Federal Member sounds like he wants to get on with the job.  On a radio interview this morning saying he will be contacting the different Political stake holders and chasing up the RMS regarding the EIS.  Just a game at present of wait and see.

If the funding has been promised, then it's just that...a promise...

If it was approved before, it will still be approved ....but to be approved, the money must have been budgeted for.

A upgrade for the centre of Wyong has been approved, but no money budgeted yet, so it could be another 10yrs !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2019, 11:15:00 PM »

If it was approved before, it will still be approved ....but to be approved, the money must have been budgeted for.

A upgrade for the centre of Wyong has been approved, but no money budgeted yet, so it could be another 10yrs !!

Apparently the funding is in the last budget, but the funding budgeted for is for the Bypass with Cuttings all done prior to the Nationals telling the RMS to do the Bypass with Tunnels.  Both State and Federal are saying the funding for Tunnels is there. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2019, 09:40:24 AM »

yep, this could become the oldest thread in forum history with no closure.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2019, 09:50:01 AM »
yep, this could become the oldest thread in forum history with no closure.

We could talk for years about politicians promises...!!   ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2019, 10:01:12 AM »
Our newly elected Federal MP has hit the ground running, maybe a little too hard. 

A local Prime 7 tv  did a live tv interview with him regarding the Bypass and during the interview he got himself tongue tied on cuttings and tunnels.  In the Live Interview he said he preferred cuttings.  He issued an apology and correction shortly after. 

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/coffs-coast-conaghan-definitely-supports-tunnels-for-bypass-138123/?station=coffs&fbclid=IwAR1K9kE2hBfJvE4ZagTssuXsDFm8TN6qMtakbi0M4Iv8pv7SPjLGOky2WnY

"Cowper MP Pat Conaghan is adjusting to his new life as a politician quickly after an awkward slip up during a live television cross on Monday night.

When asked about tunnels or cuttings, Mr Conaghan said his preference was cuttings and when the EIS Comes back with tunnels, tunnels it will be.

A short time later, the newly elected local member released a statement to correct the mistake.

“Tonight while doing a live cross on Prime7 News I misspoke while answering a question on the Coffs Bypass. I want to clarify that I believe TUNNELS, not cuttings to be the best option”, the statement said.

Throughout the recent election campaign, Mr Conaghan has made it clear that he supported tunnels for the highly publicised project.
"

Didn't send all the local nay sayers and dooms dayers into a spin.  Now they are even more convinced we are getting Cuttings. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2019, 11:28:37 AM »
Freudian slip?