Author Topic: About to try towing in the bush  (Read 3095 times)

Offline millsyMQ

• Learning the Ropes
About to try towing in the bush
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:24:18 PM »
Hi everyone, Just joined and looking forward to finding out what it is like to not sleep in the car on my bush trips.

I cannot show you my new bed just yet as still in process of acquiring it. Been going through red tape today, bit frustrating, but hopefully will all work out in next week or two. Camper trailer has a 'stolen' mark against it on the police records. But apparently it was just that the number plates were stolen. Have to wait till Tuesday to have that confirmed.

So, up till now I have been exploring all states with the little MQ Patrol I bought 9 years ago. It has been very easy by not towing, and just travelling by myself. I just set up a camp stretcher in the SWB and made things so simple. Good fuel economy and good vision. Not to mention easy handling and manoeuvrability. But now a mate wants to to come to Birdsville with me on my next trip. Bugger! So had another look at that little boxy camper trailer in the front yard not far away. Knocked on the door. "Is it for sale?" "Well I suppose it is, at the right price"

So, deal done, pending the little hiccup.

It is a home built job, but looks like it was built in a factory. Very neat and tidy. Very glossy and new looking even though nearly ten years old. It has a Trak like suspension system underneath it. I had never heard of such a thing. Took a look underneath yesterday to check it out before parting with my dough, and saw a very unusual (to me) system. Asymmetric suspension it is called, apparently. Did a bit of research. Supposed to be very good, provided all the geometry has been worked out right.

So before I do actually hand over the cash I am going to take it over some bumpy bitumen roads in my neighborhood, and maybe a bit of dirt and bumps too, to see if it behaves itself.

Am quite excited by the prospect of sleeping on a a big comfy double inner-spring mattress, instead of a cold canvas camp stretcher, with hardly any room in the little MQ cabin to get dressed, or store things.

Also quite eager to go bush with a little solid camper behind me, no canvass, that won't be too much of a drag on the small L28 motor. Also with a potentially excellent suspension system that soaks up all the bumps, and with Sunraysia wheels that match the wheels on my Patrol.

Will post some pics as soon as it is mine!

Hopefully cross paths with a few members 'out there' soon, Cheers, John.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:05:36 PM by millsyMQ »

Offline Ragman

• Tent User
Re: About to try towing in the bush
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:53:07 AM »
Welcome John, interested in seeing your purchase.
The following users thanked this post: millsyMQ

KingBilly

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 05:00:49 AM »
G'day John and welcome to myswag.

Check the bushes in the suspension for wear or splits.  Also check the shocks, and check them for excess heat after giving them a bit of a work out on a rough track if you can.  About all that can go wrong with that suspension set up.  Check the canvas for rips or signs of mould ect.  Check the zips.  Hope it works out for you.

Happy camping
KB

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 07:42:39 AM »
John
lf you haven't towed before ,, this will be fun always remember to keep checking you mirrors . Corners in tight spots in the bush can really be fun as well  .
Oh you will get the hang of it all & the scrapes on the side of the CT are a really good reminder   ( Not that l have any      :-[ :-[ )     :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
Gday and welcome John.
Congrats on the camper mate. :cup:

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline millsyMQ

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:32:06 AM »
Thanks fellas. Have towed several vans over the years on the sealed roads, but never really taken any on to the dirt. My old Viscount Grand Tourer, also '82 model, same as my Patrol, I thought should just stay on the bitumen. So a bit extravagent I suppose to have one for the sealed roads and one for the dirt! But did not spend a lot on either of them, and my wife will have fun off loading them at a garage sale when I am gone lol. I don't think so!
Yes, was thinking about those big rubber uni joint thingies at the end of the arms. They must take a fair hammering on the corrugations. But they are quite long, so they would not be bending too much I hope. Will certainly have a close look at them. And the bearings in the wheels of course.
It has hydraulic disc brakes and looks like a separate handbrake lever too. Need to check out how that works.
Also looking forward to checking out the storage battery and the solar cell system. I could see some sort of electronic box tucked away up under the double bed. Hopefully that is a charger control unit, like the one I have in the Viscount.
Not much canvas to worry about. It is a 'solid' unit if you know what I mean. Like a normal, non-pop top caravan, but much smaller. No sink, no stove, no table. Just the double bed and some cupboards, radio and even a big flat screen TV on the back wall! That won't be coming out bush!
That back wall is a big door that lifts up and becomes a roof. There is some canvas to hang around that to make a little annexe. And also some more canvas to make a side awning and wall. No zips. But some poles to hold up the side annexe.
It is actually designed with two narrow single beds, but this owner has fitted a big expensive looking double mattress across the whole van. I might be taking it out and putting in just one mattress for myself when I go bush alone, and the other bed base as a table.
When I take a friend, he can have the van, and I will sleep in the car lol.